Amico "physical" media revealed.

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Amico "physical" media revealed.

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 19th, 2021, 8:07 pm

I don't have a problem with Tommy. I like his enthusiasm and his appreciation for old-school, local multiplayer video games.

However I'm starting to understand why he's been so evasive about the "physical media" question, which it seems EVERYONE has been asking.

This is like giving someone a picture of a game cartridge and telling them its physical media. Not the same.

That said I wish him well, and hope the new console is a success. I think the only way that can happen is if the games are positively kick-ass, with at least one runaway hit. The endless delays do not inspired confidence, but his is not the only console suffering through covid.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » October 20th, 2021, 9:58 am

Do I have to download the game from the internet? If so, it's not physical media.

Skimmed the first part of the article. It says "download," so this RFID thing is worthless. Bandwidth is not free, & I'm sick of waiting for software I supposedly own to download.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » October 20th, 2021, 12:34 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I don't have a problem with Tommy. I like his enthusiasm and his appreciation for old-school, local multiplayer video games.

However I'm starting to understand why he's been so evasive about the "physical media" question, which it seems EVERYONE has been asking.

This is like giving someone a picture of a game cartridge and telling them its physical media. Not the same.

That said I wish him well, and hope the new console is a success. I think the only way that can happen is if the games are positively kick-ass, with at least one runaway hit. The endless delays do not inspired confidence, but his is not the only console suffering through covid.

Ditto. I didn’t know anything about Tommy before the Amico, but I was an INTV owner back in the day and I was stoked when the Amico was first announced. However, I was a bit concerned because even back in the day there weren’t that many of us INTV owners in the neck of the woods where I grew up. The INTV was much more sophisticated than the 2600, so much so that we INTV owners wore tweed smoking jackets everywhere, subscribed to The New Yorker, and started every sentence with “Now I say old chap…”

This seemed from my perspective to be a niche of a niche market, which is fine, but Tommy really seemed to upset a lot of potential customers. The trinkets that come with the game boxes aren’t physical media, and physical media seemed to be one of the biggest selling points.

Now I say old chap, can I gently persuade you to inform my butler Jeeves to fetch me a cup of Earl Grey whilst I play B17 Bomber?

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 20th, 2021, 12:42 pm

Not having an Intellivision as we had the Atari growing up, would the Intellivision be comparable to the Neo Geo of its day?

We didn't have a Neo Geo either frankly. We had the SNES. Not that it really matters but the Neo Geo was a 24-bit system if my marketing memory is correct in the 16-bit era. The Intellivision was a 16-bit console in an 8-bit era. Both were super high priced and had far better graphics than their peers.

And I get this isn't really the right thread for it but the idea came from Gleebergloben's post.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 20th, 2021, 12:44 pm

ActRaiser wrote:Not having an Intellivision as we had the Atari growing up, would the Intellivision be comparable to the Neo Geo of its day?

We didn't have a Neo Geo either frankly. We had the SNES. Not that it really matters but the Neo Geo was a 24-bit system if my marketing memory is correct in the 16-bit era. The Intellivision was a 16-bit console in an 8-bit era. Both were super high priced and had far better graphics than their peers.

And I get this isn't really the right thread for it but the idea came from Gleebergloben's post.

Isn't the Amico Tommy the same composer that wrote awesome soundtracks to several 16-bit gems?

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 20th, 2021, 1:09 pm

MSR1701 wrote:
ActRaiser wrote:Not having an Intellivision as we had the Atari growing up, would the Intellivision be comparable to the Neo Geo of its day?

Isn't the Amico Tommy the same composer that wrote awesome soundtracks to several 16-bit gems?

Yep, same guy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Tallarico

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 21st, 2021, 8:18 pm

I wouldn't characterize the Intellivision as the Neo Geo of its time. It was considered on par with the Atari 2600, except a little more sophisticated. On the commercials they would always show off its sports games. What it lacked however was arcade hits like Asteroids, Pac-Man, and Defender. Also, I think its keypad controller worked against it, as joysticks with the hot new thing.

In the 90's the Neo Geo was kind of a mythical system. It was crazy expensive and nobody we knew had one. The only way we knew it existed was from game magazines. Buying one of these was on par with buying an arcade cabinet - it just wasn't practical at the time.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » October 21st, 2021, 9:42 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
What it lacked however was arcade hits like Asteroids, Pac-Man, and Defender.

Dave, it literally had 2 of those 3, and Space Hawk was available to fill the void for Asteroids.

The Intellivision had a complicated prestige about it that nobody wanted to touch from what I call, though my sister had one back in the early 80's. My dad loved NFL football on it.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » October 21st, 2021, 9:50 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:

I wouldn't characterize the Intellivision as the Neo Geo of its time. It was considered on par with the Atari 2600, except a little more sophisticated. On the commercials they would always show off its sports games. What it lacked however was arcade hits like Asteroids, Pac-Man, and Defender. Also, I think its keypad controller worked against it, as joysticks with the hot new thing.

In the 90's the Neo Geo was kind of a mythical system. It was crazy expensive and nobody we knew had one. The only way we knew it existed was from game magazines. Buying one of these was on par with buying an arcade cabinet - it just wasn't practical at the time.

There might be something to that comparison.

https://techraptor.net/gaming/features/ ... ince-1970s

The Intellivision, at launch, was more expensive than any other mainstream system. And it wasn't really that mainstream. it's total sales were nearer to the N-Gage than the Atari 2600.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... e_consoles

Also, those comparison commercials between the Intellivision's and the 2600's sports titles were closer to the Genesis vs. NES beat downs. If the 2600's graphics display wasn't so flexible, there's so way the aging Pong/Combat technology could have kept up with the first 16-bit challenger.

If it wasn't for the industry crash, I've no doubt the Intellivision would have been considered the first shot fired in the third generation console war, with the Colecovision and 5200 dealing it the same fate the 3DO suffered. .
Last edited by ThePixelatedGenocide on October 22nd, 2021, 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 21st, 2021, 10:14 pm

Robotrek - good point about Defender and Pac-Man, but note that they came out late for the Intellivision (1983) after much of their popularity had waned and the market was beginning its downturn.

Return to “Video Games General”