Resident Evil 4 Sexist?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Resident Evil 4 Sexist?

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 27th, 2021, 5:13 pm

Does anybody find it odd that nobody was the least bit offended by this games' content until this year? And it's not like this game has been under the radar; Resident Evil 4 are been considered the best in the series for some time.

I was just playing House of the Dead 2 on my Dreamcast, and there is some really, really bad dialog in there like "I hope that's not G's blood" and "dont' come! don't come!" If you ask me, stuff like this is all part of the fun. It makes the game more memorable.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » October 27th, 2021, 5:36 pm

Moderator note: edited out the insult and inappropriate language.

It's an insult to observe that these rants about the PC police seem awfully political?

VideoGameCritic wrote:Does anybody find it odd that nobody was the least bit offended by this games' content until this year? And it's not like this game has been under the radar; Resident Evil 4 are been considered the best in the series for some time.

I was just playing House of the Dead 2 on my Dreamcast, and there is some really, really bad dialog in there like "I hope that's not G's blood" and "dont' come! don't come!" If you ask me, stuff like this is all part of the fun. It makes the game more memorable.

I'm still waiting for proof that anyone really gives a [...], and that this is totally different than every other time Facebook censored something they thought wasn't conservative enough?

Anytime you want to volunteer proof of outraged hordes, I'm willing to look.
Last edited by ThePixelatedGenocide on October 27th, 2021, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » October 27th, 2021, 5:38 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:Does anybody find it odd that nobody was the least bit offended by this games' content until this year? And it's not like this game has been under the radar; Resident Evil 4 are been considered the best in the series for some time.

I'm still waiting for proof that anyone really gives a damn, and that this is totally different than every other time Facebook censored something they thought wasn't conservative enough?

Anytime you want to volunteer proof of outraged hordes, I'm willing to look.

I'm sort of wondering this too. People are whining about cancel culture and political correctness, but as the critic said, nobody was offended. So WHO are we pointing the finger at for being "offended"? It seems like the only people that are outraged are the folks kicking their feet and pounding their fists over less than 30 seconds of content being removed.

Voor

Postby Voor » October 27th, 2021, 6:07 pm

Whoa. Escalated quickly.

I shrugged at the news in the OP. The content wasn’t a big deal and the removal of it wasn’t a big deal.

I stopped caring about politics years ago and have been far happier. It’s an interesting topic but far right AND far left folks ruin any chance for a civil conversation. So, just better off spending your time and energy on your family and friends.

I can’t think of the last time I was offended by anything. People are free to think what they want, as long as they’re not causing actual harm to another.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » October 27th, 2021, 7:42 pm

Minor edit, typing dyslexia.

DaHeckIzDat wrote: I'm more angry about the amount of power whiners have over companies like this. You can't just make something anymore, you have to make it their way and if you don't they'll sic the cancil culture zombies on you.

Debate basics - You will have a hard time peddling well intentioned platitudes related to freedom and liberty when the ammunition you use can be turned against you.

Robotrek wrote:pounding their fists over less than 30 seconds of content being removed.

This is beautiful :D if logically analyzed.

I struggle to believe anyone here could be seriously offended by a development choice to censor content, particularly a product where one has a choice sequence. Not like anyone is putting a gun to the head with a binary outcome. It would be pure parody and a bad one at that if it were the case.

I would hazard a guess this is more symptomatic of what is seen as a greater problem, something else, yet correlated that is manifesting it's misery into a discussion of a game. It is not the game, it is the fear of what is seen as a deliberate action inflicting the game hitting closer to home. Such is the nature of things one only really fears loss.

As one who received a childhood of attempted brainwashing into religious cult I can be sympathetic to the concept of rejecting being forced to swallow the pill others are taking.

As to the thread - everything is going to depend on the person you are dealing with regarding what is considered sexist. The dictionary term for sexism has not yet been updated to included flattery or courtship. My wife takes no offense if I call her beautiful or sexy and I imagine if I told her otherwise I would be in big trouble. I know some woman that would be offended by such old fashioned platitudes. I have been called a c**t when I stood and held a door for a woman to walk through despite me always holding the door for someone behind me, irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, color, creed.... It is what it is. Diversity of opinion and thought ;)

As per Voor, I am in a state of political rest, I come here to enjoy this forum's company not bicker over things we actually are powerless to change.
Last edited by DrLitch on October 27th, 2021, 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 27th, 2021, 9:16 pm

Of course it's sexist. Most things are. Women are still "the second sex" culturally.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » October 27th, 2021, 9:37 pm

Stalvern wrote:Of course it's sexist. Most things are. Women are still "the second sex" culturally.

The birds and the bees suggest women come from a spare rib.

crimefighter

Postby crimefighter » October 27th, 2021, 11:53 pm

If you are playing a video game with graphic violence and it is rated M for Mature, you should be able to handle these "sexist comments". If you cannot handle those comments, you should not be playing any video game rated M because you probably have the mental capacity of a five year old and the game is not for you to begin with!

crimefighter

Postby crimefighter » October 27th, 2021, 11:56 pm

Snowflakes have to be TOLD to be offended cause they don't have the capability to think for themselves. so yes, they weren't offended naturally, they were programmed to scream bloody murder about sexist comments and not the blood and guts spraying everywhere.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » October 28th, 2021, 12:10 am

crimefighter wrote:

Snowflakes have to be TOLD to be offended cause they don't have the capability to think for themselves. so yes, they weren't offended naturally, they were programmed to scream bloody murder about sexist comments and not the blood and guts spraying everywhere.

My goodness. This "snowflake" nonsense can be said on both sides.

Right wingers like to complain about the SJW snowflakes complaining about racism or homophobia.

Left wingers like to complain about the "Merry Christmas" or "God bless you" comments coming from people.

Sometimes people get bothered by things. But again, I and many thousands of others are having a BLAST with Resident Evil 4 VR. Nobody is outraged over the comments of the originals. Nobody. It's not a problem at all. Seriously. We don't care. I know, you feel some superiority. "Hehe I'm not an NPC". Cool dude, good for you, you're enlightened, bravo.

People are just looking for ANY excuse to whine and cry about snowflakes and cancel culture. It's getting sort of old.

Return to “Video Games General”