New Console for Christmas?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

New Console for Christmas?

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 5th, 2021, 9:05 am

I still consider the new systems out of reach so unless there's a Christmas miracle I won't be getting a PS5 or new Xbox. I do plan on pre-ordering the Evercade Vs. for January.

How about you guys? Are you expecting any new consoles for the holidays? If so, any particular games?

zetax

Re: New Console for Christmas?

Postby zetax » December 5th, 2021, 11:06 am

Like you, I'm waiting for the Evercade Vs to come out. No real desire for a PS5/Xbox X...

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 5th, 2021, 12:19 pm

No Christmas plans for a new system, but I plan to get one in 2022. Surprisingly, I plan to get the Xbox Series X over the other two. It's sort of by default though. I never got an Xbox One, and I still have an Xbox 360 backlog, so I like that Series X will allow backwards compatibility with all the past Xbox systems. Then I can skip the Xbox One, unless I decide to add it to the gameroom someday for completion sake. On top of that, Halo Infinite is the first Xbox exclusive I've really been itching to play since the 360 days, so that gives me a reason to buy one in 2022.

Otherwise, I'd go with a PS5. IMO Sony had the best console and games this past generation, and I think that trend will continue. But for a PS4 owner, I don't see the PS5 offering much right now. Meanwhile, I got Breath of the Wild on the Wii U, so I haven't felt enough pull to splurge for a Switch. I have some interest in Mario Odyssey and New Pokemon Snap, but not enough to buy the system just for those. Barring something unexpected, Xbox Series X it will be..

noah98

Postby noah98 » December 12th, 2021, 5:44 pm

No consoles for Christmas this year, but I did pre order a Commodore Amiga Mini from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/A500-Mini-electr ... 175&sr=8-2

Doesn't release until March though.

Speaking of Christmas, I'm thinking about picking up Spiderman: Miles Morales for the PS4 since apparently it's set during Christmastime. The physical version is on sale for $30, but it's a short game, so I'm hoping for a sale soon.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » December 12th, 2021, 8:24 pm

I would love a PS5 but I don't have the energy to try and track one down. So...until I can just walk into a store and pick one up....it ain't happening!

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » December 12th, 2021, 8:52 pm

While I would love to play Demons Souls and a couple of other titles on the PS5 it is not enough to justify the cost and effort of tracking one down. Shortages are expected to continue well into 2022, perhaps even 2023. Probably will be 2 - 3 years before I pick one up, perhaps never once the exclusives or key titles I want are on PC.

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » December 12th, 2021, 8:58 pm

Kinda wish I held off on getting a PS5 because despite all the impressive tech, it's a really underwhelming console. What? It took them a year to patch and fix rest mode? Oh come on. Don't care about the scalping and scarcity at that point.

Other than that, I preordered the Analogue Pocket a year and half ago and it should be arriving this week since Analogue upgrading all shipments to two day shipping. Not bad. Spent the year building up my gba collection, all that's missing are the more expensive games like Metroid or Zelda... Currently contemplating getting one of those add ons to play game gear or Turbograx-16 games though.

djc

Postby djc » December 13th, 2021, 12:56 am

I was (seriously) considering picking up an Atari VCS this year for Christmas because well...that's kind of my thing betting on the wrong horses when it comes to gaming systems. I held off though which I may ultimately regret.

I did send my Microvision out to be fitted with a replacement *backlit(!)* LCD screen which I am SUPER excited about. I still can't get over the fact that someone finally produced a drop-in replacement of the original screen - so awesome. I should hopefully get it back in a few weeks.

Next on my list will be to send out my Turbo Express to be recapped and get a LCD upgrade.

Finally, I ordered my first reproduction game (Dracula X for the Turbo Duo). I haven't seen it yet (Christmas gift) but I am also looking forward to that as well.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » December 13th, 2021, 2:01 am

djc wrote:I was (seriously) considering picking up an Atari VCS this year for Christmas because well...that's kind of my thing betting on the wrong horses when it comes to gaming systems. I held off though which I may ultimately regret.

I did send my Microvision out to be fitted with a replacement *backlit(!)* LCD screen which I am SUPER excited about. I still can't get over the fact that someone finally produced a drop-in replacement of the original screen - so awesome. I should hopefully get it back in a few weeks.

Next on my list will be to send out my Turbo Express to be recapped and get a LCD upgrade.

Finally, I ordered my first reproduction game (Dracula X for the Turbo Duo). I haven't seen it yet (Christmas gift) but I am also looking forward to that as well.

just with the Antstream app alone on the VCS you are guaranteed a lot of fun

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » December 13th, 2021, 11:05 am

I personally want a TG-16 mini, have for a while. However that probably isn't going to happen. I'll be happy with just getting S-video and Component cables for my old systems.

Return to “Video Games General”