Games They Need to Remake

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Games They Need to Remake

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 18th, 2022, 8:03 pm

Much like the film industry, the game companies always want to remake games that are already great. Why don't they remake some of the games that were bad, but could have been good?

Case in point: Star Wars Bombad Racing for the PS2. This game has technical issues galore with poorly-designed stages and a lousy framerate. But the concept is great! Having all my favorite Star Wars characters racing around familiar locations in cartoon form! If they would remake this for a system like the Switch, I think it could be amazing.

Thoughts? What game would you have remade?

Crummylion

Re: Games They Need to Remake

Postby Crummylion » January 18th, 2022, 9:55 pm

Glad to see more people wanting bad game another shot to fix them, but if we gotta be realistic and bring back something from a favorite franchise, Crash Twinsanity. It's not bad, in fact fans consider it a hidden gem, but the game was rushed, shortened and overall flawed that it needs another shot. (Shout out to that one time I had to redo a level I already beaten because of a glitch.) Even the original devs want to remake it.

My first choice though, regardless of popularity, or controversy in this case, is Rule of Rose. It has a lot going for it, but on top of fundamentally flawed controls and design, a bunch of fluffed up controversy and botched marketing ruined it. You can't even buy it on the bargain bin for a buck, it'll cost you a thousand dollars at most to get a copy (obligatory we need to preserve retro games statement.) People in the niche horror fanbase only like it for the presentation and atmosphere, but imagine if the game itself was actually good and was brought to a wider audience.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » January 18th, 2022, 10:33 pm

Crummylion wrote:Glad to see more people wanting bad game another shot to fix them, but if we gotta be realistic and bring back something from a favorite franchise, Crash Twinsanity. It's not bad, in fact fans consider it a hidden gem, but the game was rushed, shortened and overall flawed that it needs another shot. (Shout out to that one time I had to redo a level I already beaten because of a glitch.) Even the original devs want to remake it.

My first choice though, regardless of popularity, or controversy in this case, is Rule of Rose. It has a lot going for it, but on top of fundamentally flawed controls and design, a bunch of fluffed up controversy and botched marketing ruined it. You can't even buy it on the bargain bin for a buck, it'll cost you a thousand dollars at most to get a copy (obligatory we need to preserve retro games statement.) People in the niche horror fanbase only like it for the presentation and atmosphere, but imagine if the game itself was actually good and was brought to a wider audience.

You're definitely talking about the pipe section at the Academy of Evil in Twinsanity.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » January 19th, 2022, 9:48 pm

I would love to see Deja Vu and Uninvited get the recent Shadowgate treatment!

Other than that, a few come to mind:

-Clash at Demonhead
-Faxanadu
-Nightshade

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » January 19th, 2022, 11:10 pm

So what my nominations would be:

For PC games:

Wizardry 8 (get rid of import characters, replace it with a sort of New Game + kind of option. Modernize the graphics and speed up the gameplay. Change very little else.)
All the old Infinity Engine RPGs: Icewind Dale 1+2. Baldur's Gate 1+2, and Planescape Torment. I feel these could be redone with the Dragon Age: Origins kind of engine and with very little changes to things otherwise.
And Fallout 1+2: Keep it a strategy game. Modernize it, speed up the gameplay. Add some more modern hidden encounters to spice things up.

And for Console games:

Top Gear, SNES. I absolutely love this arcade style racer.
Shining Force Everything. Just modernize the graphics, maybe do some character balancing and maybe an extra hard mode.

And there you go. I'd love to see these.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » January 19th, 2022, 11:46 pm

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 20th, 2022, 8:20 am

Allegedly, Capcom released the PS3 Darkstalkers game to test the waters if the series was selling well enough to make a new game; in truth, I get the impression that Capcom doesn't know WHAT the market is, as they killed off Mega Man for internal company politics for years (and come to think of it, has there been another Mega Man game since 11?), and other than Monster Hunter, I can't recall a major property that they have that has had more than a few releases of late.

I would LOVE to see the Mega Man Powered Up (Rockman Rockman) series brought back and continued (there were plans originally to continue with MM2, 3, etc. if the first game sold well, though the game was on the PSP, and...), and the same for the Maverick Hunter X.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » January 20th, 2022, 9:15 am

MSR1701 wrote:Allegedly, Capcom released the PS3 Darkstalkers game to test the waters if the series was selling well enough to make a new game; in truth, I get the impression that Capcom doesn't know WHAT the market is, as they killed off Mega Man for internal company politics for years (and come to think of it, has there been another Mega Man game since 11?), and other than Monster Hunter, I can't recall a major property that they have that has had more than a few releases of late.

Resident Evil has had a bunch of new games and remakes and they've done very well (plus both live-action and animated films). They brought back Devil May Cry in 2019. They actually just finished updating Street Fighter V and from what I've heard (don't get to play fighting games much anymore) they improved it over the years.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 20th, 2022, 10:19 am

velcrozombie wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:Allegedly, Capcom released the PS3 Darkstalkers game to test the waters if the series was selling well enough to make a new game; in truth, I get the impression that Capcom doesn't know WHAT the market is, as they killed off Mega Man for internal company politics for years (and come to think of it, has there been another Mega Man game since 11?), and other than Monster Hunter, I can't recall a major property that they have that has had more than a few releases of late.

Resident Evil has had a bunch of new games and remakes and they've done very well (plus both live-action and animated films). They brought back Devil May Cry in 2019. They actually just finished updating Street Fighter V and from what I've heard (don't get to play fighting games much anymore) they improved it over the years.

Oh yeah, I honestly forgot about RE.

And here's hoping the rumored Street Fighter V Switch release is a thing

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 20th, 2022, 10:45 am

OMG I had totally forgotten about Darkstalkers!! I would love to see a modern take on that one. Can you imagine a 3D Morrigan? I'd love to see those! I mean her!

Return to “Video Games General”