Console Reviews Pack-In Games

General and high profile video game topics.
Breaker

Re: Console Reviews Pack-In Games

Postby Breaker » January 13th, 2022, 9:43 am

Teddybear wrote:I am pretty sure that Speedway!/Spin-Out!/Crypto-Logic! was the pack-in for the O2.

I love that all of them have an exclamation point!

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » January 13th, 2022, 9:50 am

That was some very false advertising on Odyssey's part!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 20th, 2022, 6:38 pm

Does anyone know the pack-in game or launch titles for the Arcadia 2001?? I can't find any info on it.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » January 20th, 2022, 7:19 pm

Teddy bear you are correct. Those three games were the first pack in for the system. My best friend in grade school got it. And before he got any other games for it, we used to play those three games. I remember it well.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » January 21st, 2022, 5:22 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Does anyone know the pack-in game or launch titles for the Arcadia 2001?? I can't find any info on it.

Their launch was delayed due to Atari lawsuits. Desperate, they responded by turning their arcade ports into generic clones.

http://www.digitpress.com/the_digs/arca ... m#egsep82a

There were 6 games available for review in a November article begun in August.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 21st, 2022, 6:33 pm

Thanks Pixelated. I guess I could look for games with the year 1982 to get the launch titles. From looking at the system's box, it appears Space Mission was the pack-in.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » January 21st, 2022, 8:27 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Thanks Pixelated. I guess I could look for games with the year 1982 to get the launch titles. From looking at the system's box, it appears Space Mission was the pack-in.

Apologies, I wasn't aware that directory was taking me to a single scrolling page. Here's the first wave arcade ports they had to hide, before they started licensing less well known games:

Phoenix = the legalized Space Vultures, without the mothership, and possibly an earlier pre-legalization version that did have that stage.
Defender = Space Squadron, followed by the legalized Space Raiders version.
Crazy Climber = Crazy Climber did show up "as is" outside US markets, with no apparent attempt to legalize their original version.
Pac-man = Crazy Gobbler and later also Super Gobbler, as well as Nibblemen. Let's not forget Cat-Trax, Jungler and R2D Tank as being similar or related maze games.
Galactica = Space Attack. (The arcade game "Galactica" was just a UK-based name for the game known in the US as "Galaxian".)
Berzerk = Robot Killer at first and later the less-infringing, legalized Escape.

Their football, soccer, and baseball titles were also listed as early titles in some sources, though I can't confirm anything yet.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 24th, 2022, 9:55 pm

Did the Neo Geo have a pack-in game?
How about the Philips CDi?

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » January 24th, 2022, 10:15 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Did the Neo Geo have a pack-in game?

My brother bought a Neo-Geo back in the day (and I called him insane for it), and I specifically remember him saying it came with NAM-1975. Naturally, that's all we played on it, and he only ever got 2 more games for it over the next few years after that. So I'm going to assume the pack-in was NAM.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » January 25th, 2022, 5:01 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Did the Neo Geo have a pack-in game?

The Neo Geo launch offered a choice between Magician Lord and Nam '75.

Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia.

Their joysticks weren't even debugged until months after launch. Gaming wasn't a priority for them, until years later when they had no choice but to rebrand.

Return to “Video Games General”