Franchises that need to be rebooted?

General and high profile video game topics.
strat

Re: Franchises that need to be rebooted?

Postby strat » January 25th, 2022, 8:21 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:And c'mon, where's Pole Position's story mode?

You'll just have to settle for Frogger's story mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Z_DuieMmc

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » January 25th, 2022, 9:06 pm

strat wrote:
ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:And c'mon, where's Pole Position's story mode?

You'll just have to settle for Frogger's story mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Z_DuieMmc

Still recovering from that other Frogger story mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgAIerfEy-Q

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » January 25th, 2022, 10:33 pm

They need to "reboot" Hydro Thunder, Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Scud Racer, and Road Rash.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 26th, 2022, 6:45 am

Cafeman wrote:They need to "reboot" Hydro Thunder, Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Scud Racer, and Road Rash.

The Crusin' series was "rebooted," I guess. Here's hoping we get more classic arcade games updated by teams/publishers that understand why the original games were great and don't change the core game in a way that completely guts it...

Also, Actraiser was Rebooted/Remade; any more Quintet games in the works? Would be interesting to see an Illusion of Gaia upgrade (though I would prefer 2D to 3D art).

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » March 8th, 2022, 12:12 pm

Adventure Island - With all of the Wonderboy love that has occurred in the past few years it's crazy that this franchise lies dead and dormant. Especially since AI is a spin-off/adaptation of the OG WonderBoy arcade game. At this point I'd love to see a Adventure Island collection. The latter NES games and Super Adventure Island II are crazy fun platformers that deserve to be available on modern consoles. After those, make a brand new game to start a new series taking all the best elements throughout the years.

Clayfighter - OK, hear me out...lol. I know there isn't a ton of demand for something as niche as this. However, I'd love to see a modern version of this game. Plus, you can use an engine to model everything to look like clay rather than having to make actual clay models of everything. I think if a company could nail the presentation and Saturday Morning Cartoon vibe and perhaps make it a Smash Bros. Style fighter....I'd buy it.

Earthworm Jim - Yeah, I know there is a new game slated for release on that ill-fated Amico console... I want a proper Earthworm Jim game. 2D run in gun gameplay, with irreverent gross out humor, unique levels that switch up gameplay, new weird villains to fight, new weapons. I'm imagining an EWJ game with Cuphead style animation. GROOVY!

Splatterhouse - If we can get a proper Streets of Rage IV, then there is hope for a new Splatterhouse. If it's 3D, I'd like to see Platinum Games try there hand at it. They would make a fun combat system. I want the mood of the game to be weird, and atmospheric like the Genesis games. Splatterhouse II and III have an almost otherwordly quality about them, plus they're packed with horror references. I don't want any heavy metal music, or overly gritty and dark. It shouldn't come across as trying to hard to be edgy if that makes sense. The combat needs to absurd cartoon violence (think Evil Dead 2) with awesome death animations for a variety of weapons.

I think all of these could be rebooted completely to try and bring in new audiences as well as win back old fans.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 8th, 2022, 12:36 pm

JustLikeHeaven wrote:Adventure Island - With all of the Wonderboy love that has occurred in the past few years it's crazy that this franchise lies dead and dormant. Especially since AI is a spin-off/adaptation of the OG WonderBoy arcade game. At this point I'd love to see a Adventure Island collection. The latter NES games and Super Adventure Island II are crazy fun platformers that deserve to be available on modern consoles. After those, make a brand new game to start a new series taking all the best elements throughout the years.

Clayfighter - OK, hear me out...lol. I know there isn't a ton of demand for something as niche as this. However, I'd love to see a modern version of this game. Plus, you can use an engine to model everything to look like clay rather than having to make actual clay models of everything. I think if a company could nail the presentation and Saturday Morning Cartoon vibe and perhaps make it a Smash Bros. Style fighter....I'd buy it.

Earthworm Jim - Yeah, I know there is a new game slated for release on that ill-fated Amico console... I want a proper Earthworm Jim game. 2D run in gun gameplay, with irreverent gross out humor, unique levels that switch up gameplay, new weird villains to fight, new weapons. I'm imagining an EWJ game with Cuphead style animation. GROOVY!

Splatterhouse - If we can get a proper Streets of Rage IV, then there is hope for a new Splatterhouse. If it's 3D, I'd like to see Platinum Games try there hand at it. They would make a fun combat system. I want the mood of the game to be weird, and atmospheric like the Genesis games. Splatterhouse II and III have an almost otherwordly quality about them, plus they're packed with horror references. I don't want any heavy metal music, or overly gritty and dark. It shouldn't come across as trying to hard to be edgy if that makes sense. The combat needs to absurd cartoon violence (think Evil Dead 2) with awesome death animations for a variety of weapons.

I think all of these could be rebooted completely to try and bring in new audiences as well as win back old fans.

Considering Adventure Island was a not-so-subtle clone of Wonder Boy, who knows.

Clayfighters did have a crowd fund campaign a ways back, though I don't think it did well (same as Boogerman). Both the 1st n 2nd games are on Evercade, so maybe they may catch someone's eye...

Earthworm Jim had had several attempts to restart since the GBC game foe a new title, and aside from GBA Ports, only the Evercade carts were given a physical release. Maybe one day...

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » March 8th, 2022, 4:31 pm

Golden Axe. Space Harrier. AfterBurner. Virtua Racing. Nights. And almost every other Sega franchises that doesn't get any love or just mobile-cash-grapping-love. And Earthworm Jim. And Pitfall.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 8th, 2022, 5:16 pm

CaptainCruch wrote:Golden Axe. Space Harrier. AfterBurner. Virtua Racing. Nights. And almost every other Sega franchises that doesn't get any love or just mobile-cash-grapping-love. And Earthworm Jim. And Pitfall.

And Virtua Hamster

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » March 9th, 2022, 10:06 pm

The biggest one for me would be Castlevania!

I had an idea recently: since the series has never really worked in 3D, I think that From Software should do a reboot! Their games already capture the spooky atmosphere made famous by the classic series! Honestly, many of the things that made Castlevania what it was—challenge, cool locales, music, atmosphere, cool enemies—already exists in the Soulsborne games. Let them take the reigns!

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » March 9th, 2022, 10:19 pm

Dante’s Inferno
Twisted metal
Blur
Champions of Norrath

I could prob name lots more but that’s a few that comes to mind

Return to “Video Games General”