All the way through?

General and high profile video game topics.
Alucard1191

Re: All the way through?

Postby Alucard1191 » April 30th, 2022, 8:22 pm

I'm on a bit of a roll. Beat Doom 3 (and the expansion campaigns) and Castlevania: SOTN.

Doom 3 wasn't anything special. Especially compared to Doom 2016 which I started and is seriously awesome so far.

Castlevania is as good as remembered, except for 3 little nitpicks. 1) most bosses aren't tough enough, especially the early on bosses of the reverse castle.

I'd love it if the music would keep playing when you're in the pause menu.

And the ending smooth jazz with vocals during the end credits leaves much to be desired. Other than those little things, great classic game.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » May 1st, 2022, 9:48 am

After picking at it for about 7 years, I finally completed the original Red Dead Redemption on the Xbox 360, as well as the "Undead Nightmare" DLC last weekend. I even captured the Unicorn mount at the end :mrgreen:

DrLitch wrote:
Alucard1191 wrote:X-Com is absolutely worth the play through. It's an A game, hands down.

Glad to see another highly rate this. The first game on PC, UFO Defense way back in the DOS days was always a personal favorite but the XCom Enemy Unknown (a remake of UFO Defense) and XCom 2 on modern consoles are amazing additions to the franchise.

Anyone wanting to give XCom 2 a try - it sometimes shows up for free on Epic games, https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/. In fact, it should be a duty for one to check Epic games for freebies. Just open up an account and add to basket any free games you want.

I played through the original X-com: UFO Defense (DOS) multiple times, it's easily one of my top-10 video games of all time, ever. Even today I'll occasionally fire it up (I re-purchased it on Steam years ago for quick and easy access) and play for a few hours. Nothing beats the feeling of a well-placed grenade in a room full of Snakemen while scouring their downed UFO for goodies! I started play through the 2012 Firaxis remake on the Xbox 360 as well, but it didn't have the same feel for me and I sort of stopped playing once I got to a point where it felt like each battle was sort of per-determined behind the scenes. I should give it another shot now that I'm done with RDR, I'm assuming my save game is on the console still.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » May 3rd, 2022, 12:39 am

Crossed another childhood game off the list - Batman for the NES. I've been playing it for around three weeks now, usually for about an hour 4-5 times a week after work. Firebug took about 20 tries to beat the first time - I understand his pattern well enough now that I can take him out consistently, provided I have enough ammo. The Joker was a whole other ballgame - I finally caved tonight after a week of failure and used a save state to practice the fight. After over an hour and around 100 attempts I got to the point where I had a 50-50 chance. I restarted and played through the entire game rather sloppily - I died to the Stage 4-4 security system boss 4 times when it's normally automatic - but I made it up the clock tower with both extra lives intact and took out Firebug and the Joker in one go.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » May 17th, 2022, 3:22 am

The last few weeks I've completed the following:

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Final Fight
Formula Retro Racing

I'll give the other Uncharted games a try as I have the Nathan Drake Collection (PS4) but I thought the game felt like a summer blockbuster film from the 90's that was expected to be the next big thing but flopped big time.
Final Fight looks great to this day and I was quite taken a back just how much SOR took from their template and refined. Even the first SOR game is better than Final Fight (in my opinion).
If you enjoyed Virtua Racing and want more at a lower quality then Formula Retro Racing will give you that. I did a full review of it over at the Readers Review Section.

nesfan

Postby nesfan » May 19th, 2022, 2:33 pm

I just beat the story mode of Fragrant Story for the 3DS, a game I just got in the mail last week, forgot I ordered it, and beat in less than an hour. It was fun. I just wish there was more. Like a lot more.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » May 20th, 2022, 11:16 pm

Beat Ninja Gaiden for the NES. Had to practice the ending boss rush with save states and that probably took at 5-7 hours on its own. Made an attempt at it about a week ago and everything was fine until 6-2, where I got stuck for 45 minutes and quit. Practiced 6-2 on its own for a few hours with the intention of keeping the spin slash to get me through the infamous platforming section near the end of the stage that broke the AVGN. Practiced from 6-2 all the way up through the final bosses. Finally put it all together tonight. Far from perfect (stage 4-2 was a bit of a mess) but the entire game only took about 30 minutes (3 continues) and had some sections I'm pretty happy with (went from 4-2 to 6-2 while only losing one life). One day I'd like to try a 1cc but I'm content for the moment.

Time for a nice relaxing RPG before my fingers are more callus than skin!

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » May 20th, 2022, 11:51 pm

velcrozombie wrote:Beat Ninja Gaiden for the NES. Had to practice the ending boss rush with save states and that probably took at 5-7 hours on its own. Made an attempt at it about a week ago and everything was fine until 6-2, where I got stuck for 45 minutes and quit. Practiced 6-2 on its own for a few hours with the intention of keeping the spin slash to get me through the infamous platforming section near the end of the stage that broke the AVGN. Practiced from 6-2 all the way up through the final bosses. Finally put it all together tonight. Far from perfect (stage 4-2 was a bit of a mess) but the entire game only took about 30 minutes (3 continues) and had some sections I'm pretty happy with (went from 4-2 to 6-2 while only losing one life). One day I'd like to try a 1cc but I'm content for the moment.

Time for a nice relaxing RPG before my fingers are more callus than skin!

Major props there. I've been stuck on 6-2 for awhile now. Working on it on the virtual NES on the switch, and yeah... the difficulty is no joke.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » July 4th, 2022, 12:43 pm

I finished 2 games last night.

The first, and what I'm most proud of, is Megaman 1 on my Gamecube Megaman Anniversary. Megaman on here does not have the pause trick, and I've never actually beaten the NES megaman 1 without it. I have now though! Wily's Castle was seriously tough.

The 2nd game I finished was Doom Eternal, with both expansion campaigns.
This one I'm much more mixed on. Honestly, I didn't like this one as much as Doom 2016. It has too much going on, the story is total nonsense, and I feel it's way too heavy on platforming. I honestly feel like this one was kind of a downgrade in a lot of ways from Doom 2016. Doom eternal plays totally fine and has a lot of content, but I didn't think this game was as fun as Doom 2016. I couldn't put that one down, this one I had to force myself at times to get through.

I've officially played through all the primary Doom games, and honestly I think 2016 is the best, and probably Doom 64 being the worse. As far as storylines go, I thought Doom 3 had the best one, by far. Doom 2016's storyline is silly, but fun. Doom Eternal is ... ugh. Half the time I have no clue what's going on. Characters that they establish they suddenly make into Heavenly entities, (Samuel Hayden and Vega) and the world goes from 'humans experimenting with teleportation and hell' to 'humans are in a massive war inbetween heaven and hell, with all kinds of lore and other factions.' It's just too much, and takes itself too seriously.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » July 18th, 2022, 11:52 am

Megaman 2 on megaman anniversary finished. What a good game. Not quite as tough as part 1, but still tough.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » July 18th, 2022, 1:31 pm

Crazy this thread is still going on. I remember following it when it was first posted, not far from 14 years ago. At the time I was still working in Tokyo, Japan, hitting the arcades there when I had time, and a lot younger. Really cool to see this is still going strong. Makes me smile.

Return to “Video Games General”