Favorite Baseball Game all time?

General and high profile video game topics.
AtariToday

Re: Favorite Baseball Game all time?

Postby AtariToday » May 24th, 2022, 5:36 am

Tron wrote:So have you won the World Series with Italy?
Playing with Italy was such a great challenge for me.

I haven't! I'll have to give that a try. Sounds like fun, thank you for the suggestion!
The two power houses in the game were Canada and New York. Those were the go to teams when we played two player. I can't recall ever selecting Italy :mrgreen:

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 24th, 2022, 8:29 pm

I'm re-reviewing Tony LaRussa Baseball as we speak...

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » May 24th, 2022, 9:09 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm re-reviewing Tony LaRussa Baseball as we speak...

i think you might give it an F minus this time lol

Shiznute

Postby Shiznute » May 24th, 2022, 9:12 pm

Without a doubt in my mind, World Series Baseball '98 (Sega Saturn). That game had everything.

Beyond that I really liked some of the early MLB Show games circa '09-'11, all the Baseball Stars games, Sports Talk Baseball, and Baseball Simulator 1.000.

Tron

Postby Tron » May 25th, 2022, 4:48 pm

AtariToday wrote:
Tron wrote:So have you won the World Series with Italy?
Playing with Italy was such a great challenge for me.

I haven't! I'll have to give that a try. Sounds like fun, thank you for the suggestion!
The two power houses in the game were Canada and New York. Those were the go to teams when we played two player. I can't recall ever selecting Italy :mrgreen:

Oooooh. That’s a real shame. You can’t say you’re a Real Little League Champion unless you’ve won with Italy and THIS is your favorite baseball game? Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. At least you’re honest about it though so I’ll step down from my throne for just a moment & stop shaming you.

So yeah Canada & New York are the best no doubt. I’ve used all the teams. I’m thinking Texas is 3rd best. I just remembered playing some money games on Little League many years ago. I’m remembering that I preferred Canada over New York now.

I could give you a couple tips on Italy if you like, but that would mean spoilers so I won’t unless you respond.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » May 26th, 2022, 12:40 pm

MLB The Show 22. Next question...

icepeople

Postby icepeople » May 27th, 2022, 1:48 am

Um, blush, just to be the unintentional troll (or sadly deprived youth) on this subject, my honest answer is Color Baseball for the Trash-80 Color Computer (hey, it's that or Homerun for the 2600, which are all I played except for some strategy text and handheld LED games). Actually it wasn't terrible...here's what I wrote eons ago on my "imitate the VGC" review site for the CoCo:

Color Baseball (B+)
F0736E17-989E-4BEB-A19C-F44E07DDFEDB.gif
F0736E17-989E-4BEB-A19C-F44E07DDFEDB.gif (3.5 KiB) Viewed 380 times

A sports game Radio Shack finally got right. I'm not a big fan of the real thing, but I played this more than any other sports title where a ball of some sort was involved (driving doesn't count and the Skiing cart would give this one serious competition if I tried to name the best RS sports title).

One or two players go at it with nine-player rosters. You can enter names and batting averages for players, which actually affect their hitting ability. The national anthem plays and then the teams take the field. Batting, pitching, fielding, running and everything else is amazing intuitive and well-suited for those lousy joysticks. Crowd noise is well done and there really aren't major flaws EXCEPT it gets way too easy to kick the living hell out of the computer opponents, even if you give your players lousy batting averages. Basically, it all comes down to timing and after a while you end up hitting most of the time and winning by 20 or more runs. Works better as a two-player option, but even after I mastered the one-player mode I'd still boot it up from time to time and play with various goals (like overcoming huge point spreads).

AtariToday

Postby AtariToday » May 30th, 2022, 9:01 pm

Tron wrote: I could give you a couple tips on Italy if you like, but that would mean spoilers so I won’t unless you respond.

I'll take those tips, good sir! :lol:

Tron

Postby Tron » June 2nd, 2022, 7:26 pm

AtariToday wrote:
Tron wrote: I could give you a couple tips on Italy if you like, but that would mean spoilers so I won’t unless you respond.

I'll take those tips, good sir! :lol:

Glad you responded. I was looking forward to replying.

1. The best players aren’t always the ones in your starting lineup. Just like real life the coaches will play their buddies kids instead of the more talented player whose dad is the town drunk. I can’t say for certain, but I’m thinking Italy has 2 or 3 kids on the bench that should be playing.

2. Stats lie & size matters. A player ranked at 3 may not be as valuable as a player ranked at a 2. I’m not sure how the game actually creates their rating system, but a kid with a 2 ranking might be a lousy fielder and base runner, but he’s got some pop in his bat and can at least get some hard hits out in the outfield. Meanwhile a kid with a 3 ranking might be a fair fielder and base runner, but rarely ever hits the ball out of the infield. I’d take the 2 player in that instance every time.

You got tall kids, husky kids and shrimps. Shrimps may have a ranking of 5, but lack power. Meanwhile a tall kid with a 3 ranking can actually hit some home runs. The husky kids are usually the best power hitters, but some tall boys can crank them out. Unless a shrimp has a really high rating like a 4 or a 5 or if you’ve used them and liked how they played you may be better off benching them.

3. At this point you must realize that it’s all about power hitting and guess what? Italy sucks at power hitting. They also suck at pitching, fielding, base running and contact hitting. Italy just straight up sucks. That’s why when you win with them you can hold your head up high and say you’re a true Little League Champion. Anyhow I think Italy only has 1 player that can hit home runs and that honor goes to The Mighty Angelo. Italy has a couple of guys that have at least decent enough power for extra bases.

4. Bunting can win the game. There are two ways to bunt. The first is by using the bunt button. I suppose this may work with a really fast shrimp, but I never use it. The second is with a left-handed batter and doing a 1/3 swing. With the right pitch location and timing you can bunt the ball down the third base line for a base hit. Sorry to be honest I can’t remember if doing a 2/3 swing with a right-handed batter works or not. I think it does, but it’s even harder to pull off. You only want to do this with your wimpy lousy hitters. Try this with the Mighty Angelo and he might rage quit on you.

As they say in Smash TV, “Good luck; You’ll need it.”

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » June 23rd, 2022, 12:46 pm

Wii Sports Baseball tbh

Return to “Video Games General”