What successful system do you feel did NOT deserve it's success?

General and high profile video game topics.
Jascott72

What successful system do you feel did NOT deserve it's success?

Postby Jascott72 » June 25th, 2022, 6:13 pm

I am probably going to start a fire with this but here goes. I feel the Nintendo Wii did NOT deserve it's success. From the time it released it used antiquated technology. The motion controls were way over used and way too limited to be of anything more than the most basic use. The Wii motion plus remedied this somewhat, but this is what the motion control should have been to start with. It also annoyed me that seemingly every game had to have motion control shoehorned into it. whether or not it was practical or made sense. I feel that motion controls ruined a lot of games that could have been good or at least decent.

The Wii had a staggering amount of shovel ware. Yes I know every system has to deal with this, but the Wii seemed to have far more than it's fair share. Don't even get me started on the boatloads of crap peripherals you could use on the Wii.

I remember rolling my eyes when I heard how the Wii out sold the PS3 and 360. Despite the fact those systems almost always had the superior version of a particular game and were far superior consoles.

Yes I know Nintendo cornered a market. They appealed to people who were more casual about video games, so parents and grandparents could play along with kids. And you know what, there is nothing wrong with that. But still the Wii should not have been as successful as it was.

matmico399

Re: What successful system do you feel did NOT deserve it's success?

Postby matmico399 » June 25th, 2022, 7:09 pm

N64. I repurchased it because I remember having good feelings and nostalgia about this console. This was about 6 years back. I had gotten a free one back in the 1990s and already had a PS1. When I tried replaying it I thought the console was mostly junk. I didn't enjoy a single game on it, I know the VGC loves Wave Race and I bought that based on his recommendation. I'm sorry but it was a pretty piss poor game. I repurchased GoldenEye, and it just wasn't any fun like I remembered. Nostalgia is a funny thing, at the time you may think it's one of the greatest things in the world but years later you realized this is not a good game or system. And that controller was about the worst I've ever had. I've never had a 5200 and I know that joystick is notorious. I just never got into the system and it was the first one I sold out of my collection probably less than a year later.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 25th, 2022, 8:11 pm

Eh because the games were fun. Nintendo also put out successful ports of their popular franchises.

I feel that shovelware is a non favor because 90% of gamers like myself just act like those don’t exist. Lol.

Stalvern

Re: What successful system do you feel id NOT deserve it's success?

Postby Stalvern » June 25th, 2022, 10:48 pm

How much of the NES's success was due to Nintendo's blatantly unethical licensing agreements? It's undeserved to that extent.

As for the other Nintendo systems mentioned so far, I think it's silly to say that the Wii "shouldn't" have been such a hit because the wrong people bought it (they weren't REAL gamers!!) or that the N64 was an undeserved "success" at all when it couldn't manage a third of the PlayStation's sales (its best market was the States, where it was still outsold two-to-one, and it flopped hard in Japan and Europe).

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » June 25th, 2022, 11:07 pm

The Atari 2600.

It was Pong. It was Combat. It was never meant to do anything else.

And if they could have afforded a simple frame buffer? The entire library would be games that simple. Something more powerful would have been the market leader, instead. Something that was probably a fair bit more user friendly.

And it probably would have had a stronger library. With games that offer more than a few minutes of gameplay, repeated endlessly.

And without the TIA soundtracks that sound like the drunken confessions of an atonal car alarm and white noise.

Maybe we would have even avoided the crash.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » June 26th, 2022, 8:51 pm

Crashes happen in every new market, when new entrants pile on new products. The market leaders, themselves fairly inexperienced, don’t always know how to react, & may not come out on top. (Yahoo, AOL, Vitagraph, etc.)

I can’t think of any system which didn’t deserve its success; they were all a mix of whatever tech could be sold at a decent price when released. If developers created games people enjoyed using that tech, the system was a success.

Closest I can come to is the NES, because of Nintendo’s exclusivity agreements, but it still had an early mover advantage, so I imagine it would’ve been the top system of that generation even without antitrust violations.

I might also suggest the Game Boy, because of its monochrome screen. But, even then, I’m not sure. Could they have gotten a color screen at a good price in 1989? One which wouldn’tve eaten through batteries?

Going by that logic, the Wonderswan might’ve been more successful than it deserved; they had decent, cheap, less-power-hungry color screens by 1999. But the Wonderswan wasn’t a success outside of its home country.

jon

Postby jon » June 26th, 2022, 9:19 pm

matmico399 wrote:N64. I repurchased it because I remember having good feelings and nostalgia about this console. This was about 6 years back. I had gotten a free one back in the 1990s and already had a PS1. When I tried replaying it I thought the console was mostly junk. I didn't enjoy a single game on it, I know the VGC loves Wave Race and I bought that based on his recommendation. I'm sorry but it was a pretty piss poor game. I repurchased GoldenEye, and it just wasn't any fun like I remembered. Nostalgia is a funny thing, at the time you may think it's one of the greatest things in the world but years later you realized this is not a good game or system. And that controller was about the worst I've ever had. I've never had a 5200 and I know that joystick is notorious. I just never got into the system and it was the first one I sold out of my collection probably less than a year later.

I agree with this 100%. The N64 at the end of the day just flat out sucks. Even if you were to give it's "great" games glowing reviews, which not many of them deserve, it's library is still an unbelievably massive nightmare of disappointment. And back to the "great games". The only one that's even moderately playable these days is Super Mario 64. Goldeneye aged almost as bad as any game can. Mario Kart 64 likewise is like spilt milk. Banjo Kazooie is way too long and having to have that weird mole teach you all the tricks is among the most annoyingly counterintuitive spots in any game ever. I mean for crying out loud, can't they give you the option to be able to use all the moves at the beginning? There's already a zillion details in this game. Because of all that garbage, epic levels like the Freezeezy Peak and Rusty Bucket Bay, maybe the only great majority water level in platforming history, just can't make up for the "tutorial mole" disappointment. So like the others mentioned, none of those games are playable nowadays.

The N64's blurry graphics, coupled with just about every genre being terrible, are a disgrace to video games. The sports games being abhorrent are a natural continuation from the SNES. When I play Super Mario 64, I wonder how many people even play this system anymore. It's got basically no good games. I mean everything's just about unplayable now. And the controller is easily the most weird, depressing controller ever. I'm convinced no one really plays the N64 anymore.

At least the other systems I'm most critical of, the SNES and PS1, have either original games, or extremely importantly, ports/compilations of good games, to be worth having. Sure I didn't like the Wii, but I can at least understand its appeal. I'm not that unrealistic. But the N64 has nothing. I mean, I still can't think of any good games besides Super Mario 64. I know Smash Bros were popular but I'd rather watch paint dry.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 26th, 2022, 10:42 pm

How about the Playstation 4? Don't get me wrong - it's a fine console, but doesn't deserve its runaway bestseller status.

Sony kind of lucked into it. Nintendo lost their way with the Wii U - a good system that nobody really knew about. Meanwhile Microsoft kind of shot itself in the foot with its always-online controversy (not to mention the Kinect 2).

So the PS4 kind of "backed into" the title of console to own.

Jascott72

Postby Jascott72 » June 27th, 2022, 2:16 pm

After reading some of the posts I think I may need to change my mind. Perhaps it is the Nintendo sixty bore that is even more undeserving of it's success. (Can you guys tell I am not a Nintendo fan boy?) I had the system and never really liked it that much. From it's cumbersome controllers that reminded of the Colecovision's super action controllers. It's overpriced backwards cartridges, and it's need for an expansion pack. How was this thing popular at all?

At least the Wii is backwards compatible with the Lamecube. And I really did like the ability to purchase Neo Geo and Turbografx games. So the Wii had that. So maybe you guys are right.

But Critic I have to disagree with you. Yes I am a Sony fan boy. But Sony righted their wrongs with the PS3. I agree that Microsoft shot themselves in the foot with the always on thing. But I think the bigger issue was not being able to play used games on the Xbox one at all or unless you paid some kind of fee. Or whatever the hell they were getting at.

As for the Wii U, or as I like to call it the P U. It was essentially the Wii version 2.0. And man on man I will never forget the great sense of schadenfreude I experienced when it bombed.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » June 27th, 2022, 3:53 pm

Jascott72 wrote:Lamecube

Bro we're seriously about to throw hands

Return to “Video Games General”