What successful system do you feel did NOT deserve it's success?

General and high profile video game topics.
strat

Re: What successful system do you feel did NOT deserve it's success?

Postby strat » June 29th, 2022, 4:44 am

Probably some knockoff console that only made money because its games were unknown in that region, like the Dendy.

Ironically, the Switch probably doesn't deserve its success in terms of exclusive game library. Other than the few Nintendo first party gems (as usual), it's nothing but a sea of multiplatform indie games, some PS3 hand-me downs and a few mobile knickknacks. Nintendo struck gold by taking the Wii U controller idea and making it a full-blown tablet.

jon

Postby jon » June 29th, 2022, 6:01 pm

I looked up compilations for the N64 and they're all games from the early 1980's. It's like the N64 didn't have the firepower to port games from it's own run (1996-2001). Look at the ports and compilations for the PS1 and Saturn. They include games from the same time those consoles were in their runs. There's games from the 1990's even up to the late 1990's that got ports for the PS1 and Saturn. It's a huge problem for the N64 and only hurts whatever legacy it had. Why the N64 didn't have ports of mid to late 1990's games, I don't know. But I'd guess either the hardware couldn't handle it or 3rd parties wanted nothing to do with them based on the costs of cartridges and limited cartridge space. There's some very notable omissions of popular games that were on the PS1 and Saturn.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » June 29th, 2022, 6:45 pm

Much to ponder here. :roll:

strat

Postby strat » June 29th, 2022, 10:05 pm

jon wrote:Why the N64 didn't have ports of mid to late 1990's games, I don't know. But I'd guess either the hardware couldn't handle it or 3rd parties wanted nothing to do with them based on the costs of cartridges and limited cartridge space. There's some very notable omissions of popular games that were on the PS1 and Saturn.

Nintendo had a very hyped-up practice of making every N64 game exclusive, though in some cases it fell apart (Mortal Kombat Trilogy). Though yeah, its gaming library deficit is pretty much down to using carts, which chased away most 3rd parties.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 29th, 2022, 10:56 pm

So, you could argue that Nintendo’s success is directly related to the success of their console’s gimmicks:

64–analog controller
Wii—Wiimote
Wii U—tablet
Switch—true portable console

Nintendo’s games have and will always be 90% about the success of their franchise, can’t blame them for sticking with what works.

I find the SNES to be their most timeless console, perhaps in part because hand drawn sprite age very well and some of my very favorite games are on it. Definitely my “desert island” console.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » June 30th, 2022, 8:29 am

jon wrote:IWhy the N64 didn't have ports of mid to late 1990's games, I don't know.

jon

Postby jon » June 30th, 2022, 10:58 pm

It's fun to play revisionist history. But first off, none of those games were even top 30 sellers for the N64. Resident Evil 2 was released on the N64 almost a year after the PS1 version. And Resident Evil 1 was on the PS1 and not the N64. Resident Evil 2 on the N64 sold less than 400,000 copies. It's probably because there's no reason for a fan of the franchise to have wanted to play it on the N64. Why wasn't the original on the N64 I have no clue. Resident Evil 1 & 2 each sold over 5 million copies on the PS1.

There's no Tekken games, no Tomb Raider games, no Metal Gear Solid, no Final Fantasy 7. I heard it would've taken over 20 cartridges to fit the game on the N64. Literally almost the whole list of top selling PS1 games are games that weren't on the N64 because the system had so many disadvantages due to the use of cartridges. There was no law that no Tekken or Final Fantasy 7 could be on the N64. It's not like any of these games were always going to be on the PS1. They're not developed by Sony. And the games you listed they were released later than the PS1 versions. Tony Hawk was released 6 months later on the N64 than PS1. Resident Evil 2 almost a year. I'm not sure Wipeout is even of consequence since it probably derived most of its profits from my Blockbuster rental. And I was hardly impressed to say the least. It seemed like there were like 10 games released a year. It was just really depressing compared to the PS1. It got outsold by such a big margin and that's after Nintendo being by far the leader the prior 2 generations. That's a pretty big fall.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » July 1st, 2022, 1:04 am

jon wrote:It seemed like there were like 10 games released a year. It was just really depressing compared to the PS1. It got outsold by such a big margin and that's after Nintendo being by far the leader the prior 2 generations. That's a pretty big fall.

And you say that it didn't deserve its... success?

I don't know why people are posting so much about the N64 in this thread. It wasn't a success at all, not as a follow-up to the SNES and not as a competitor to the PlayStation. It was a flop that pretty much got what was coming to it. (I still love my N64 and all the games I have for it.)

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » July 1st, 2022, 1:17 am

I still like the N64. My nostalgia is just too strong, and it has some of my all time favorite games, including the best game of all time, Super Mario 64. You guys are just mean! I'll always cherish it and all the fond memories.

strat

Postby strat » July 1st, 2022, 2:40 am

jon wrote:Why wasn't the original on the N64 I have no clue.

To get RE2 running on N64, the porting studio had to downgrade the fmv and implement a tricky decompression routine (N64, not being made with fmv in mind, has to decompress in software). And they still needed a 64MB cart to hold the game. Definitely a one-off thing and not a model for how PS1 games could've been ported to N64. A 1:1 port of FFVII is almost certainly a non-starter; maybe without the fmv or some janky transition it's doable (this assumes unlimited ROM space from a modern flash cart).

Return to “Video Games General”