Reviews you Hate

General and high profile video game topics.
ASalvaro

Re: Reviews you Hate

Postby ASalvaro » March 21st, 2022, 3:32 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:
ASalvaro wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:Do you hate any reviews on this site?
Maybe there are a few you just dislike in general?
Speak up and let us know! You might not be the only one.
Also please say why.

yes it bothers me you gave the best Atari 5200 game Pengo a measly C! :D
oh and Blueprint on the 5200 an F??? lol

I had pengo on the 800xl. Truly an awesome game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIjRym7u4mg&ab_channel=BiffsGamingVideos

agree! one of the few arcade ports back in the day that were better than the arcade version...Pengo in the arcade is way too fast and it cuts down on the strategy but the slower speed on the 5200 annd 800xl make it much more fun

k8track

Postby k8track » August 16th, 2022, 1:55 pm

I started to respond to this thread a few months ago, then got sidetracked. There is one review that I do take a fair amount of exception to. “Hate” is too strong a word, but I do strongly disagree with it, and have difficulty understanding your (apparent) animosity towards it. You assigned a grade of F to 3-D Tic-Tac-Toe for the Atari 2600. You wrote: “I’ve never met a soul who has even admitted to playing this game, much less enjoying it.” When I was a kid, I was obsessed with this game and really loved playing it. I thought the 3-D theme was cool and I thought it was a lot of fun. I spent many hours with this game. I never played the highest level (20 minutes is indeed ridiculous to wait for the computer to make its move), but the 2-player option was a real blast. Perhaps you might rate it a bit higher if you played against a human? I can see why people might think it’s boring or primitive, but it’s certainly not horrible or frustrating or apoplexy-inducing in the same way that Scuba Diver or Sssnake legitimately are. It’s benign and inoffensive, which is the most negative thing I could think of to say about it. I do think a grade of F is inexplicably harsh. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that this game has at least one fan who still loves it.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » August 16th, 2022, 3:41 pm

I think an F- for Fighting Force 2 was WAY overboard! I'm mostly familiar with the PS1 release, but I can't imagine the Dreamcast version being THAT MUCH WORSE.

It's hardly an amazing game, but it's perfectly functional and does what it sets out to do. I'd give it a C.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 16th, 2022, 7:24 pm

I'm putting Pengo and 3D Tic Tac Toe on the re-review list. At least those shouldn't take long.

That Fighting Force 2 however is another story. I remember it being very bland. I will think about it...

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 16th, 2022, 10:09 pm

Your Real Bout 2 review confused it with being the end of the Fatal Fury series, and claims they just ran out of ideas.

But the best game in the series, Mark of the Wolves - and a strong contender for best fighting game on the platform - was the very next game in the series.

There's plenty of reviews I disagree with - but this is the first time I've seen you just be completely wrong, and potentially misleading anyone who reads your reviews to learn a bit about console gaming history.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 17th, 2022, 12:38 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Your Real Bout 2 review confused it with being the end of the Fatal Fury series, and claims they just ran out of ideas.

But the best game in the series, Mark of the Wolves - and a strong contender for best fighting game on the platform - was the very next game in the series.

There's plenty of reviews I disagree with - but this is the first time I've seen you just be completely wrong, and potentially misleading anyone who reads your reviews to learn a bit about console gaming history.

Go on. Tell me what I was completely wrong about. I will give the game another look.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » August 17th, 2022, 2:11 am

I think you LIED :P when you wrote in your review of Ecco the Dolphin "The difficulty level is ideal, providing plenty of challenge but little in the way of frustration".

You probably meant "The difficulty is horrible, providing more frustration than challenge". Sorry, I always hated this game... :P

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 17th, 2022, 3:25 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:
ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Your Real Bout 2 review confused it with being the end of the Fatal Fury series, and claims they just ran out of ideas.,

Go on. Tell me what I was completely wrong about. I will give the game another look.

You were just wrong about it being the end of the Fatal Fury series. And can they really be running out of ideas if their next game is widely regarded as the best one? It'd be like reviewing the Castlevania games, claiming Dracula X on SNES was the end of a tired franchise, and skipping Symphony.

Plus, there's a real story here.

Mark of the Wolves was SNK's dated tech and talented artists trying to keep up with the brand new CPS III hardware. Also, since the original Fatal Fury was Nishiyama Takashi's flawed spiritual sequel to the original Street Fighter, the question has to be asked - was the best game in SNK's alternate take ever as good as the Capcom fighters it competed with?

JohanOberg

Postby JohanOberg » August 17th, 2022, 3:29 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:It'd be like reviewing the Castlevania games, claiming Dracula X on SNES was the end of a tired franchise, and skipping Symphony.

But considering how Symphony overhauled the series, Dracula X kind of was the end of a then-tired franchise

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 17th, 2022, 4:03 am

JohanOberg wrote:
ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:It'd be like reviewing the Castlevania games, claiming Dracula X on SNES was the end of a tired franchise, and skipping Symphony.

But considering how Symphony overhauled the series, Dracula X kind of was the end of a then-tired franchise

Simon's Quest had already introduced Metroidvania elements years before. And even that was building off of the light exploration in the MSX game. Symphony wasn't coming out of nowhere - it only surprised in terms of ambition and quality.

Plus, Dracula X wasn't the last Castlevania game in the classic formula.

Return to “Video Games General”