Fire Emblem: classic or casual mode?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Fire Emblem: classic or casual mode?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 20th, 2022, 1:05 am

I've been playing Fire Emblem: Awakening for the past couple days, and since I'm new to the series I wanted to play it in classic mode. Classic features permadeath, which incentivizes playing defensively and putting more thought into your strategy, because if one of your soldiers dies (of which you have a finite amount) they are gone FOR THE REST OF THE GAME. It's how the series was originally designed, and vets swear you're not getting the full experience if you don't use it.

I made it five or six levels in before having three of my units wiped out in a single battle.

After that, I started a new game in casual mode, where any soldiers you lose will come back after the battle is over. Honestly, I'm having more fun this way. Now if one of my guys dies, I don't have to agonize whether to keep going without them or restart the whole level and try to keep them alive. I feel like casual mode is better for your first time, and then you can move on to classic mode after beating the game when you know what to expect.

To any Fire Emblem players here, which mode do you prefer?

ESauce

Re: Fire Emblem: classic or casual mode?

Postby ESauce » October 3rd, 2022, 11:39 pm

I started Fire Emblem Three Houses on classic mode after reading numerous opinions that it’s the “right” way to play. Unfortunately it makes me too anxious to actually play the game, so I started it about 6 months ago and haven’t even done the first battle. So I’ll probably be restarting it in casual mode at some point so I’ll actually play it.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » October 5th, 2022, 10:14 pm

I tried Classic mode on GBA.

The story quickly becomes tortured as it instantly becomes really clear the developers lack the infinite resources necessary to explore every possibility.

Play classic mode if you don't give a damn about anything except war simulation. Play casual if you want literally anything else out of the experience.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 8th, 2022, 11:34 am

If I'm playing for the story (ie - Fire Emblem Awakening), Casual mode. And even if playing for the heck of it, playing Causal allows me to sort-of level grind to avoid painful situations like I had in the DS FE release.

Tron

Postby Tron » October 24th, 2022, 9:02 pm

Haven’t played the most recent ones, but loved the GBA and first 3DS one. Anyhow ya gots ta play wit permadeath. It’s so frustrating & fun. These games give u plenty a back-up soldiers ta use so give ems a chance. Being a natural power player I admittedly start over some times, but eh.

Return to “Video Games General”