All the way through?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: All the way through?

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 8th, 2023, 9:01 am

nesfan wrote:I've been streaming Ys: Book I&II for Turbografx-CD and I just beat Book I earlier. I played it mostly without a guide and had a lot of fun figuring out what to do and where to go, though I had to stop and look up a walkthrough at a point where I got hopelessly lost. Still kinda proud of myself for what I managed to do on my own. I'm looking forward to continuing with Book II.

What do you mean by streaming?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 8th, 2023, 9:44 am

@nesfan
Curious what you mean by streaming too? I assume you mean broadcasting it on a site like Twitch while playing it?

And how’s the game? I’ve wanted to play that game for like 20+ years, after seeing it featured in a “best games ever” feature on a website around 2000. Because of the soundtrack and voice-acting allowed by the CD, it was a groundbreaking game. How does it hold up today? I heard it’s a really short RPG- is that true? And are Book 1 & 2 separate games?

I bought the disc several years ago at a convention, but never got a Turbo CD. Fortunately the game is on the Turbografx mini, but I’ve never started it.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » January 8th, 2023, 11:59 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:What do you mean by streaming?

GrandpaSimpson.jpg
GrandpaSimpson.jpg (17.43 KiB) Viewed 2258 times

nesfan

Postby nesfan » January 8th, 2023, 7:28 pm

Sorry. I do mean streaming through Twitch. I got into doing it after I built my PC last year. I bought a capture card to plug my HD consoles into my computer so I can broadcast them as well as a little device that passes composite signals through HDMI so I can stream from some of my older systems. That's how I connected my PC Engine Duo-R to my computer to stream Ys. I've had a lot of fun streaming because it's kind of incentivised me to work through my backlog.

As for Ys, yes it's very short. It took me about 6 or 7 hours between 2 play sessions to get through it and it drops you right into Ys II afterward. According to howlongtobeat, Ys Book I&II as a whole takes about 15 hours total. I had a lot of fun with it. Some quirks here and there like the menu is a bit unintuitive. I was running around in the beginning without a sword or any armor equipped because the menu screen made me think they were equipped automatically upon buying them. Getting used to the clunky menu takes a little trial and error but it makes sense eventually. It has the adventure feel of classic Zelda but a lot less cryptic. It took some thinking but I was able to figure out what to do, except for one puzzle at the end where I just could not figure out how to progress and had to look it up. As it would turn out, I had already stumbled on the answer and just didn't realize I solved it lol. There was some old-school jank there too. Like this one boss that kept whooping me because I didn't realize it was weak to a sword that I had to exit the dungeon to find. It was a lot of fun figuring the game out. The combat was weird but fun when you get into it and some of the bosses were insanely hard. I felt an actual sense of triumph for beating it and it felt great.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » January 11th, 2023, 11:42 am

I intended to post the games I beat in 2022 but forgot. I set out to beat the most titles I completed in one year and I smashed my record (not sure what it was previously but in 2022 i completed far more than any other calendar year). Here's the list.

Halo Infinite (Xbox Series X 2021)
Streets of Rage 1 (Mega Drive 1991)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Arcade 1996)
Dirt Rally 2.0 (Xbox series X 2019)
Streets of Rage 4 (Xbox Series X 2020)
Streets of Rage 2 (Sega Megadrive 1992)
Tetris Effect: Connected (Xbox Series X 2020)
Marvel's Spiderman: Remastered (PS5 2020)
Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors Dreams (Arcade 1995)
Flower (PS4 2009)
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (Remastered) (PS4 2015)
Formula Retro Racing (Xbox Series X 2020)
Final Fight (Arcade 1989)
Trek To Yomi (Xbox Series X 2022)
The Walking Dead: Series 1 (Xbox 360 2012)
Truxton (Sega Megadrive 1989)
Fight Night Champion (Xbox 360 2011)
Outrun (Arcade 1986)
Super Mario Land (Gameboy 1989)
Sensible Soccer (SNES 1993)
Unpacking (Xbox Series X 2022)
TMNT: Shredders Revenge (Xbox Series X 2022)
Astro's Playroom (Playstation 5 2020)
The Artful Escape (Xbox Series X 2021)
Peter Jackson's: 'King Kong' (Xbox 360 2005)
Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo (Xbox 360 2007)
BVOVB (Xbox Series X 2021)
Sega Rally Championship (PS2 2006)
Sega Rally Championship Plus (Arcade 1995)
Virtua Tennis (Sega Dreamcast 2000)
Sega Rally Championship (Sega Saturn 1995)
Black Mesa (PC 2020)
Sifu (Playstation 5 2022)

nesfan

Postby nesfan » January 28th, 2023, 1:28 am

I played through StarTropics on stream and finished it last night.

nesfan

Postby nesfan » February 4th, 2023, 12:18 pm

And I finished a Final Fantasy IX stream the other night.

DialSforSam

Postby DialSforSam » February 6th, 2023, 5:31 pm

nesfan wrote:And I finished a Final Fantasy IX stream the other night.

My favorite of the PSOne Final Fantasy games.

On a related note, I just finished the Final Fantasy VII Remake on PS4. Last several boss battles were tough.

nesfan

Postby nesfan » April 29th, 2023, 1:44 am

Two weeks ago, I finished Final Fantasy off the FF Origins collection for Playstation on Stream. And tonight, I finished my stream of Ys Book I & II on Turbografx-CD!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 29th, 2023, 9:29 am

nesfan wrote:I've been streaming Ys: Book I&II for Turbografx-CD and I just beat Book I earlier. I played it mostly without a guide and had a lot of fun figuring out what to do and where to go, though I had to stop and look up a walkthrough at a point where I got hopelessly lost. Still kinda proud of myself for what I managed to do on my own. I'm looking forward to continuing with Book II.

How is it? I’ve wanted to play this one for years, after seeing in on a “best games ever” list like 20 years ago.

You should consider doing a reader review of it! I’ve said for years that the Critic needs this game on the site, but it’s an RPG so someone else would usually cover it. This might be a good chance to get that posted.

Return to “Video Games General”