That TV Thread

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

That TV Thread

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 27th, 2023, 4:45 pm

My buddy Sudz and I like to pick up old CRTs for cheap and stockpile them. People really hate those old TVs but some are really nice and still work great.

Anyway Sudz was trying to decided if he should pick up one of these:
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-8AKFEEufi ... 6HF85.html

This widescreen TV straddles the old CRT and new HDTV worlds. If you have only room for a single TV in your game room, this would handle pretty much any system.

Anyway, this got me thinking to make a TV thread to talk about this stuff. I will start.

I have a Toshiba 27" CRT (with s-video and component), a 42" Toshiba LED (HD), and a 27" Daewoo (also with s-video and component).

Do I really need two 27" CRTs? Not really, but it helps balance the room, and also gives me more inputs to plug systems in. Plus, sometimes it's fun to have multiple games going at a time when people are over. It's a dream set-up, but keep in mind it took me about 25 years to reach this point!

Now let's hear about your setup.

Matchstick

Re: That TV Thread

Postby Matchstick » January 27th, 2023, 5:25 pm

This thread coincides nicely with my plan to post a "Game Room" pic :D

5a.jpg
5a.jpg (284.54 KiB) Viewed 598 times

This is up in the attic of our house, which I have been restoring and rebuilding for the better part of two years now. The TV is a Sharp 19" model from the early 2000s. I got it at a thrift shop in Eugene, OR for $10. It only has one composite video input, but all of my pictured consoles run to it through a series of switchboxes.

The audio is routed to a concealed "mini amp" behind the TV, which then goes to the external speakers. They were also a $10 thrift shop pickup!

This, too, is the culmination of about two or three decades worth of collecting / hoarding. I have other games and consoles peppered around the house, but, well, this is my "happy place."

Now that I've got attachments figured out, maaaaaaybe I'll post some shots of the rest of the attic soon.

i2.jpg
i2.jpg (444.14 KiB) Viewed 594 times

Does a vintage iMac count as a TV...? I have a few of those. This one is downstairs in the living room, right in the main entryway. We mostly use it as a jukebox - a job that it does very well!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 28th, 2023, 12:01 am

VGC- About the TV for Sudz.. yes, those HDTV CRTs are great! I have one of those by Samsung and it’s like 26”. It’s widescreen and has an HDMI input. I didn’t even realize CRTs had HDMI until I got it. I got it somewhat randomly on Craigslist in like 2009, and it’s served me well, but sadly the picture tube is having issues now.

But you are right, it really is the perfect video game TV- amything from an Atari using RF to a PS3 using HDMI, all looks good on it. The only downside- light gun games do not work on it.

Matchstick- Thanks for sharing, Great room! Quite a nice choice of systems you get there to play!

Herschie

Postby Herschie » January 28th, 2023, 12:19 pm

I just can't win with CRTs. I have this beautiful 24 inch Toshiba with component inputs that has amazing colors that just pop. Unfortunately the geometry is absolutely atrocious, and it's so noticeable that it takes a lot of fun out of whatever I'm playing or watching. Can't be fixed in the service menu.

Then I have this 20 inch Panasonic that also has component, but unfortunately the composite and RF inputs have noise, and though the geometry is a bit better on this one, it's still not great. And the sound sucks, so I have to use an external speaker that's rigged with a switchbox to switch between component, composite, and a line out so I can put music while I play Mariokart.

Probably my best working one is a Sharp from 2004, but it only has composite that's in the front for some reason. That means visible cables. And for some reason only one audio input, meaning I'm back to the external speaker.

However, I really love this 1988 Zenith I found by someone's trash a couple months ago. Only has RF, but it's great for my NES and Atari. I'll use it to watch DVDs or daytime antenna TV while I "work". Still doesn't solve my problems for later systems, such as Xbox or Gamecube though.

Once you've seen component, you simply can't go back to composite, and unfortunately these later CRTs don't seem to be as well-made as the older ones that generally don't support such inputs.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 28th, 2023, 3:36 pm

Matchstick - Thanks for posting those pics. There's something awesome about the idea of playing games in an attic - especially during a thunderstorm! Well done.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » January 28th, 2023, 3:41 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:There's something awesome about the idea of playing games in an attic - especially during a thunderstorm!

Heh, as long as the sound of the raindrops doesn't put you to sleep first! Gets my wife, every time...

What a fun thread this is turning into!

Herschie wrote:I just can't win with CRTs

I'll admit, it can be as much of a "rabbit hole" as anything else.

For me, as we've all mentioned, there's just so many tube TVs lying around or being given away that finding one isn't too much of a challenge. If you pick one up and it displays well, great! KEEP IT! But if you come across one that doesn't have a great picture, then there's little risk in moving on and looking for a replacement.

I draw the line at expensive repairs. Even my own TV in the photo (a late-model Sharp like you mentioned in your own post) has a bit of discoloring around the built-in speaker. But it's not bad enough to get me to replace the TV. But picking up an older TV, then shelling out hundreds of dollars to repair it? No way. I can't do it.

It's like an old car. I expect it to have quirks and be less-than-perfect. But others will buy an old car and sink tens of thousands of dollars into it to get it as close to new as possible. Granted, there's nothing wrong with that, if that is your hobby! But it's too much of an ask for me, personally.

In my mind, buying something damaged with the intent of salvaging it later is a bit too much of an ask these days. Save yourself the headache, and just get something that's "good enough" from the start.

(Then again, getting something beat-up for free, and repairing it yourself, can be quite rewarding!)

Herschie wrote:Once you've seen component, you simply can't go back to composite

I can see both sides of this. Before we moved and bought our house, we had a 27" Sony Trinitron that supported Composite, S-Video, and Component. Yes, Component looked the best, but S-Video was about 90% its equal - and both far outperformed Composite.

I decided to get a S-Video switchbox and run all supported consoles through that to my TV. SNES, Saturn, PS1, N64, and Dreamcast. The 360 got the Component hookup. It was marvelous - the best setup I've ever had!

But that TV weighed almost 200 pounds. And we were downsizing with our move. And my planned gameroom was upstairs. The TV didn't make the cut - but the college kids that bought it from us were thrilled to have it.

I'll probably never have a setup like that again, but at least I had it once. So it goes...

Herschie wrote:That means visible cables. And for some reason only one audio input, meaning I'm back to the external speaker.

Sounds like my kind of TV! Heh. I don't mind visible cables, and I always play with external speakers. Back when space was an issue, this was not an ideal arrangement, but I've built my current game room with an external stereo system in mind. Internal TV speakers... now that is something I could never go back to!

Of course, external speakers for game consoles that only support Mono audio, anyway, is a bit extreme. Older TVs with RF connections and a single built-in speaker are just fine for 2600 and NES games. In fact, they add to the charm. Sounds like you have a real winner with that little setup, Herschie!

(Also... I post a shot with Jim McMahon and Walter Payton framed on my wall... and you say NOTHING?? :P )

Herschie

Postby Herschie » January 29th, 2023, 3:55 pm

Matchstick wrote:(Also... I post a shot with Jim McMahon and Walter Payton framed on my wall... and you say NOTHING?? :P )
Wow, how did I miss that? And I call myself a Bears fan! BTW, that's from September 8th, 1985 after their come-from-behind win against Tampa Bay. Weird that I have a TV that very well could have shown the original CBS broadcast.

You have a cool, clean setup. I really like those speakers too.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » January 29th, 2023, 4:04 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Matchstick - Thanks for posting those pics. There's something awesome about the idea of playing games in an attic - especially during a thunderstorm! Well done.

Yep. It's weird how much fun these games can be when played in a cozy location. After all, when we were kids, seldom did we get to play on the main TV in the living room. That was for dad and the six o'clock news. Often it was a makeshift setup in an attic or in a basement. I happened to play in a spare bedroom we had, but so many times my friends would have those setups i just mentioned.

And we DEFINITELY played on a CRT!

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » January 29th, 2023, 9:13 pm

Herschie wrote:I really like those speakers too.

Take a look on the shelf just under the stacks of NES games, Herschie - you'll see the G.I. Joe of The Fridge!

Much like The Critic was saying about stockpiling TVs - and people just looking to get rid of them - many people these days don't really seem to value a traditional stereo system like they used to. I mean, there's definitely still audiophiles who demand a fancy setup, but the average consumer seems just fine with either a soundbar for their TV or a Bluetooth speaker box for their digital audio.

Because of this, though, you can often find older speakers and receivers for cheap! I can't stress this enough - just check thrift shops. You'll strike out plenty of times, but if you have stores that you visit on a regular basis, you're bound to come across treasures. All of my external speakers came from thrift shops, and none cost more than $15 for the pair. This includes a set of powered Bose speakers that we use with our main TV downstairs.

Just last week, I got a set of Sony speakers similar to those Philips speakers I have pictured with my game room. $15 at Goodwill. They needed a little cleaning, but the drivers and tweeters were intact with no rot, cracks, or damage. I hooked them up to my turntable, and they blow away the Panasonic speakers I had been using. That's in another corner of the attic - which I'll share in a different post ;)

The fact of the matter is, an entire vintage gaming setup can be acquired for cheap - as long as you're willing to look. If thrift shops aren't your thing, check out Craigslist or Marketplace. I live literally on the edge of the continent, and I can still regularly find people locally that are giving away old TVs, computers, and speakers.

I'm glad we all seem to have experience getting tube TVs for cheap, and can value and appreciate them. I'm looking forward to reading more posts and sharing experiences and advice!

Herschie wrote:Often it was a makeshift setup in an attic or in a basement.

Yep, growing up, we had the 2600 and NES hooked up downstairs to a black and white Zenith. I still loved it!

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » January 30th, 2023, 11:13 am

for years in the early 90s i used this TV for my Amiga..it was pretty awesome

Return to “Video Games General”