Evercade carts - "Legacy" (ie - Discontinued) Carts

General and high profile video game topics.
MSR1701

Evercade carts - "Legacy" (ie - Discontinued) Carts

Postby MSR1701 » February 4th, 2023, 10:21 am

Evercade has updated their list of "Legacy" products (discontinued at the point of manufacture items), listed below:

Before we get on to new carts, we do need to advise you about another cartridge collection that will become a legacy title in 2023.

Already discontinued and no longer in production is the original Evercade Handheld. Blaze Entertainment is no longer manufacturing this product so if you see it on sale at a retailer, that’s going to be the last stock they have of the console and its included cartridges.

There will be a final firmware update soon for the original Handheld, as promised, that will bring some essential bug fixes.

Joining the original handheld in the “Legacy” line will be Piko Interactive Collection 1 (Cart 09), which will no longer be produced as of February 2023. There is plenty of stock still on sale at retailers however ,so for those of you that haven’t already picked up that fan favourite, you still can.

The list of all Legacy products at present are:

Namco Museum Collection 1 (02)
Namco Museum Colllection 2 (06)
Piko Interactive Collection 1 (09)
Technos Collection 1 (10)
The Oliver Twins Collection (12)
Evercade Handheld Starter Pack
Evercade Handheld Premium Pack

https://evercade.co.uk/a-look-ahead-at-evercade-2023/

Both Namco carts do NOT work with the VS system (due to licensing reasons, the carts essentially were licensed for handheld only and even then, for the UK market only (hence one reason for the insane rates on Amazon USA), the Oliver Twins Collection was a deal with Codemasters where the profits went only to a charity, and my guess for Technos and Piko is that they realized that their games are more profitable to rerelease on modern platforms (Piko alone has a sizable release list (mostly digitally) on the Switch and Steam, including games that were on the Evercade cart (Tinhead for instance).

Kinda sad that Piko 1 is discontinued, as it is easily one of my favorite of the entire Evercade library (as bad/mediocre as the games are, they are a diverse selection and have some that are hard to find/obtain - see Tinhead).

Thoughts?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Evercade carts - "Legacy" (ie - Discontinued) Carts

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 6th, 2023, 11:16 am

I'm not sure how to feel about this. In some ways I can understand Evercade wanting to discontinue unpopular titles, or the Namco ones with compatibility issues.

On the other hand, I always felt that the Evercade was immune to "modern" problems like games "going away". What if somebody wanted to complete the entire set?

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » February 6th, 2023, 12:49 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote: What if somebody wanted to complete the entire set?

Then you'd buy them on Ebay or another second hand marketplace....

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » February 7th, 2023, 6:29 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm not sure how to feel about this. In some ways I can understand Evercade wanting to discontinue unpopular titles, or the Namco ones with compatibility issues.

On the other hand, I always felt that the Evercade was immune to "modern" problems like games "going away". What if somebody wanted to complete the entire set?

Previously when they first were discontinuing carts, Blaze/Evercade mentioned that it was due to contracts (be it money or interest). In truth, this is a factor that does occur with physical games (old and new), where production winds down after a set amount or after a license ends.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » February 8th, 2023, 9:29 pm

Thank you so much for posting this! As soon as I saw it, I immediately went to Amazon to order a cart I’ve wanted for a long time but kind of slept on: Piko Collection 1. I wanted it for Nightshade alone!

I really wish they’d announce games at a faster rate, though I understand that this is a niche product and getting licenses isn’t easy. I would love to see more NES/SNES compilations. In the future, I wish they’d find a way to release:

-Clash At Demonhead
-Faxanadu
-Battle of Olympus
-Shadowgate, Deja Vu, and Uninvited
-Little Samson

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » February 13th, 2023, 6:32 am

BanjoPickles wrote:Thank you so much for posting this! As soon as I saw it, I immediately went to Amazon to order a cart I’ve wanted for a long time but kind of slept on: Piko Collection 1. I wanted it for Nightshade alone!

I really wish they’d announce games at a faster rate, though I understand that this is a niche product and getting licenses isn’t easy. I would love to see more NES/SNES compilations. In the future, I wish they’d find a way to release:

-Clash At Demonhead
-Faxanadu
-Battle of Olympus
-Shadowgate, Deja Vu, and Uninvited
-Little Samson

You are welcome!
I'm hoping they will get a way to license more classics, though it is a shame with the Piko collection getting discontinued, as this fact (coupled with Piko's move to release games on digital stores and partner with Simply Limited to release physical versions) implies they will no longer work with Blaze/Evercade. Which is a shame, as they have a sizable library of games they've acquired over the years.

Still, if we could shake the tree and get Konami to free up some Hudson/PCE classics...

Return to “Video Games General”