I broke my own rule - and bought from Limited Run

General and high profile video game topics.
Matchstick

I broke my own rule - and bought from Limited Run

Postby Matchstick » March 28th, 2023, 8:55 pm

I'm not the biggest fan of Limited Run Games (LRG). Not that I hate them, or anything, but many of their products just don't interest me much, and I really don't like having to pay full price - up front - for a product that has no concrete timetable for shipping or production. In saying that, I still like to browse their site.

About a month ago, I saw a headline on another retro gaming site concerning a re-release of Maniac Mansion:

What struck me about this set was that, not only was it replicating the look of the original box, but it was also including all of the original "feelies" that came with the game on its initial release - including the "decoder" and guidebook that originally served as copy protection during the floppy days. The rest of the goodies I could take or leave, but I found the idea of reproducing the original box - with its original paperwork - to be tempting.

I already have hard copies of the game, both in the NES version and the original [problematic] IBM floppies. The thought of getting another copy of the game doesn't really do it for me, but having another chance to own the box and extras seems like a dream come true at the $75 price point. Yeah, I could always track down used copies on eBay, but they usually go for around $200, with varying degrees of damage to the box and inserts.

I added it to my cart, and kept shopping. Oh my word, they also had Zak McKracken:

I'm not sure if anyone here has gone shopping for a copy of this in the box lately, but it is absolutely not cheap. Like Maniac Mansion, I have the floppies, and have long given up on the idea of ever having a complete set with the faux newspaper or hint book. Seeing this listing made my day - and to the cart it went!

(I showed my wife, who took one look at the Zak McKracken set and said, "You can buy it, but I get the French Bread flash drive." Done deal, little lady!)

Am I thrilled about being out $150 - plus shipping - for two games that I may not even receive this year? Of course not. But this does represent the chance for me to pick up some "shelf candy" at a price point I never thought I'd be able to manage. Yeah, I'm pretty much paying $75 a pop for cardboard and paper - as I really don't care about the physical media included in the sets - but it's unreal to think that, some day down the line, I'll have that orange and green Zak McKracken box staring back at me, like 1988 all over again.

I'm not sure if LRG will ever get my business on anything else, but in this case... they did good :D

txsizzler

Re: I broke my own rule - and bought from Limited Run

Postby txsizzler » April 12th, 2023, 8:11 am

I found a complete, boxed copy of Maniac Mansion for the PC at a Goodwill about 15 years ago, for $2.99. Yes, I bought it, and have it stored safely away!

Matchstick

Re: I broke my own rule - and bought from Limited Run

Postby Matchstick » April 13th, 2023, 1:34 am

Ah, those were the good old days!

I’ve lost count of the number of games I’ve gotten at Goodwill over the years for $1 or so - many complete in the box. Heck, even my current Sega Genesis came from Goodwill, complete with all the hookups, the Altered Beast pack-in, and the original box and paperwork - all for $10. SOLD!!

But, like you said, this was around two decades ago. It’s unfortunate how many thrift shops - especially the current Goodwill - will “price check” items online before they put them for sale in the retail store. I mean, if I wanted to pay Amazon prices for something, I’d, you know… buy it on Amazon!

Still, a great deal is a great deal - and worth remembering. Nice find, tx!

Return to “Video Games General”