Need Help Guys

General and high profile video game topics.
matmico399

Need Help Guys

Postby matmico399 » April 1st, 2023, 5:01 pm

I'm pretty happy, went to a yard sale and the guy was moving and was just trying to unload things. He had a collection of 11 NES games which I got at a very good price. The problem is on some of the best and priceiest games he, of course used black magic marker. I want to sell most of them. What is the best way to clean them up? I don't want to damage them using bleach or something, but I'm not sure what the proper chemical is. Thanks.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Need Help Guys

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 1st, 2023, 7:23 pm

Is the marker on the label or the plastic?

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » April 1st, 2023, 8:36 pm

Assuming it's Sharpie, high-grade rubbing alcohol should do the job. Look for something in the 90%+ range.

If the writing is on the front label, dampen a corner of a paper towel with the alcohol and work along the marker in small circles. Be careful not to get near the edges of the label, or the alcohol will soak into the paper and discolor it. For finer control, use a Q-Tip. In both cases, gently apply the "wet" surface, then "buff dry" with either another paper towel or the other end of the Q-Tip.

Keep in mind that the rear cartridge label will not clean the same way. It's a different paper, and not as durable. If the rear label has writing, you can try gently buffing it out, but you might be better off leaving it alone for fear of destroying the label. You can always swap out the back with another cartridge if you need to.

If the writing is on the plastic, alcohol should work well, too. Wipe the area first with a alcohol-dampened paper towel or Q-Tip. If the writing is fresh, it should take most of the marker off. However, there will be some in the textured grooves of the cartridge shell. For this, use an old toothbrush, and dampen it with alcohol. Gently scrub the area with the marker, taking turns wiping it dry and gently scrubbing.

If the marker is deep down into the textured plastic, use toothpaste! Applying a little with the tip of your finger should rub most of the marker out. You can, of course, also use the old toothbrush for this. Keep in mind that toothpaste is abrasive, and will scuff the plastic if you go too hard with it.

Do not use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, for similar reasons. It will buff that texture right out!

Also, DO NOT USE ACETONE! FOR ANY REASON! You will melt and discolor the plastic cartridge.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » April 1st, 2023, 10:59 pm

Matchstick wrote:Assuming it's Sharpie, high-grade rubbing alcohol should do the job. Look for something in the 90%+ range.

If the writing is on the front label, dampen a corner of a paper towel with the alcohol and work along the marker in small circles. Be careful not to get near the edges of the label, or the alcohol will soak into the paper and discolor it. For finer control, use a Q-Tip. In both cases, gently apply the "wet" surface, then "buff dry" with either another paper towel or the other end of the Q-Tip.

Keep in mind that the rear cartridge label will not clean the same way. It's a different paper, and not as durable. If the rear label has writing, you can try gently buffing it out, but you might be better off leaving it alone for fear of destroying the label. You can always swap out the back with another cartridge if you need to.

If the writing is on the plastic, alcohol should work well, too. Wipe the area first with a alcohol-dampened paper towel or Q-Tip. If the writing is fresh, it should take most of the marker off. However, there will be some in the textured grooves of the cartridge shell. For this, use an old toothbrush, and dampen it with alcohol. Gently scrub the area with the marker, taking turns wiping it dry and gently scrubbing.

If the marker is deep down into the textured plastic, use toothpaste! Applying a little with the tip of your finger should rub most of the marker out. You can, of course, also use the old toothbrush for this. Keep in mind that toothpaste is abrasive, and will scuff the plastic if you go too hard with it.

Do not use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, for similar reasons. It will buff that texture right out!

Also, DO NOT USE ACETONE! FOR ANY REASON! You will melt and discolor the plastic cartridge.

now THIS is what i call help!

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » April 2nd, 2023, 1:02 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Is the marker on the label or the plastic?

Cartridge not the label.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » April 2nd, 2023, 1:04 pm

ASalvaro wrote:
Matchstick wrote:Assuming it's Sharpie, high-grade rubbing alcohol should do the job. Look for something in the 90%+ range.

now THIS is what i call help!

Thank you!

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » April 2nd, 2023, 4:07 pm

matmico399 wrote:I want to sell most of them.

I don't help flippers.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » April 2nd, 2023, 9:04 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:
matmico399 wrote:I want to sell most of them.

I don't help flippers.

Thank you gentlegamer. You've always been such a nice guy on all your posts. :oops:

Return to “Video Games General”