Irony Culture in Gaming?

General and high profile video game topics.
Crummylion

Irony Culture in Gaming?

Postby Crummylion » November 9th, 2023, 11:04 am

A lot of games are fondly remembered because of how they innovated and reinvigorated and the gaming industry. Mario, Sonic, Zelda, Resident Evil, and so much more. Others are remembered for their failing quality and how baffling they are. Even to the point of regressing the industry. Furiously looking at E.T. for the Atari 2600. However, they gain a notoriety that sticks with gamers for generations that compels them to make tributes to them. Space Jame being one of them, but that's a movie. Shaq Fu, a Genesis game, did get a relatively successful crowdfunded sequel though. It's a little weird because people spent a good decade burning all copies of the game. Bubsy had two sequels long after the horrible 3d sequel. While Sonic will always have fan games with dissatisfaction of recent games to thank, Sonic 06 is getting ported to PC by fans, to a more fixed and therefore more mediocre quality. But people, mostly zoomers and millenials, are eating this up.
Now, after creating a remaster of the Zelda CD-I games, a dev by the name of Dobbly is making a spiritual successor to the games with funding by Limited Run Games. Game looks competent enough aside from the cutscenes obviously inspired by the games. I feel like I should know since I'm also a zoomer (I literally bought a CD-I couple days ago ffs,) but this feels less like paying homage to what could've and should've and more reveling in sheer cheese.
Is this a weird inverse to the nostalgia culture gaming and entertainment as a whole been going through the past few years? Nobody likes these games, let's be real. We love to hate them.
https://youtu.be/c-9id115PxY?si=YestZNEl0D5-VRpg

JohanOberg

Re: Irony Culture in Gaming?

Postby JohanOberg » December 1st, 2023, 8:47 am

Yeah but remaking a terrible game like Wand of Gamelon is better to me than remaking a masterpiece like Resident Evil 4.

Stalvern

Re: Irony Culture in Gaming?

Postby Stalvern » December 1st, 2023, 1:37 pm

Dopply, more professionally Seth Fulkerson, is quite sincere in his appreciation for the Zelda CD-i games. He spent four years developing updated PC versions of the originals (which you can find on the Internet Archive if you Google "faces of evil remastered") before making his own successor. The Sonic '06 port is similarly motivated, with true fans having convinced themselves that it would have been a masterpiece if Sega had just given it more development time. The Critic himself has reviewed an attempt to "fix" E.T. on the 2600 and prove that it was secretly great all along (raising the grade from D all the way to D). These are idiosyncratic and ambitious games, and when people respond to those qualities with love, it isn't some elaborate joke on the rest of us. At worst, there's a contrarian response opposing the games' unpopularity, a need to go against the crowd and see what the masses are blind to, no matter how untenable. Completely earnest either way.

The new Bubsy games are generic shovelware with the Bubsy brand slapped on as a marketing gimmick to cash in on the "fame" of the real Bubsy games. Neither irony nor sincerity there, just cynicism and greed.

The only game in the OP that fits the thesis is Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn, a game whose existence I'd forgotten until being reminded of it here. I think this is a much smaller trend than you're giving it credit for. Even something as gleefully corny as Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden has an obvious creative conviction behind its kitsch trappings.

Return to “Video Games General”