Atari 2600 Plus

General and high profile video game topics.
BlasteroidAli

Re: Atari 2600 Plus

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 9th, 2023, 9:47 am

LS650 wrote:
BlasteroidAli wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKUQiImtRws&ab_channel=Greg%27sGameRoom
What is amazing about the system is how it really is not compatible with a lot of the back catalogue.

I received a 2600+ about two weeks ago and have been playing it maybe an hour every night since. I'm actually really happy with it. I already had an old 2600 that was relegated to the CRT in my den, but this give me a way to play 2600 games on my HDMI flatscreen in my living room - plus 7800 carts.

I have about 65 different 2600 carts and have tried them all out. Sometimes a cart I haven't played in years needs a good cleaning, but then works fine. Out of all the games, only two won't load: Robot Tank and Burger Time. I suspect with the eventual firmware upgrade these will work too.

I've picked up four old 7800 carts off eBay: Dig Dug, Ms Pacman, Xevious and Pole Position 2. They all load and are playable - but I need a 2-button 7800 controller to play PP2 properly.

Thanks for the update.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 9th, 2023, 10:04 am

LS650 wrote:I have about 65 different 2600 carts and have tried them all out. Sometimes a cart I haven't played in years needs a good cleaning, but then works fine. Out of all the games, only two won't load: Robot Tank and Burger Time. I suspect with the eventual firmware upgrade these will work too.

Did anybody else first interpret this line as a sarcastic joke? As if Activision was going to release a firmware update for Robot Tank? LOL

bluenote

Postby bluenote » December 9th, 2023, 4:43 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
LS650 wrote:I have about 65 different 2600 carts and have tried them all out. Sometimes a cart I haven't played in years needs a good cleaning, but then works fine. Out of all the games, only two won't load: Robot Tank and Burger Time. I suspect with the eventual firmware upgrade these will work too.

Did anybody else first interpret this line as a sarcastic joke? As if Activision was going to release a firmware update for Robot Tank? LOL

I think he meant a system update that will allow more games to be compatible...

envytomdead

Postby envytomdead » December 9th, 2023, 5:39 pm

bluenote wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:
LS650 wrote:I think he meant a system update that will allow more games to be compatible...

I think that's what he meant too. Atari is actively working on firmware updates right now.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 10th, 2023, 6:38 pm

At this rate, I might need to buy one. I decided now was the time, well during the Black Friday sales, to get a VCS 800. £600 plus import duties. So you can forget that. I may have another look sometime but considering this is a three-year-old system it is hard to see why it would be worth double the retail value of the system.

Return to “Video Games General”