Playstation 5 Review Help?

General and high profile video game topics.
DX_Receiver

Re: Playstation 5 Review Help?

Postby DX_Receiver » April 13th, 2024, 12:14 am

I'm having trouble thinking of any real innovative features in either the PS5 or Xbox Series consoles. I do like the Quick Resume feature for the Xbox consoles, but those are just save states. The SSD is a welcome addition, but I had one in my PC back in 2010 so it's hardly innovative. As far as the PS5 is concerned, maybe the PSVR2 is somewhat innovative due to the upgrade for the headset and horsepower of the console? Or the system's appearance resembling a humidifier?

Voor wrote:Is the first major console to offer an online only version?

The version that doesn’t have a disc drive, cartridge slot, etc.

Nope, Microsoft beat them to the punch with the Xbox One S All Digital Edition (the SAD Edition, if you will).

noah98

Postby noah98 » April 13th, 2024, 8:01 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:The haptic feedback was really introduced with the Xbox One controller, which is very similar. And the touchpad was there on the PS4 controller so that doesn't count. Wow, this console really didn't bring much new to the table!

The XBOX One controller has good rumble, but I wouldn't call it true haptic feedback. The Switch has "HD Rumble," which is closer to the PS5 controller than the XBOX One controller. I'd say the Dual Sense controller is innovative, although not a huge leap.

To me, the best thing about the PS5 is stable framerates. That's something last generation struggled with. Last gen consoles were already dated hardware when they debuted and struggled to keep up with games as they became more complex. To me, 60 fps gaming is a must, and this generation of consoles can finally deliver it for the most part in performance modes.

I will say, it would not be entirely fair to review the PS5 until you play some of the best games for the system like:

1. Horizon Forbidden West
2. Demon's Souls
3. Cyberpunk (next gen update)
4. Spider-Man 2
5. Miles Morales
6. Ghosts of Tsushima
7. Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
8. Helldivers 2
9. Baldur's Gate 3
10. Kena Bridge of Spirits
11. Judgment
12. Lost Judgment
13. Alan Wake 2
14. Stray

And, many of the best PS4 games are enhanced and play best on PS5. I think we should give credit to Microsoft and Sony for giving us decent backwards compatibility, something the PS4 severely lacked.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » April 13th, 2024, 12:08 pm

The only stand out feature for me, this generation, is that western development, at least from AAA studios, is the worst I have ever seen. The PS4 still being relevant and getting strong support, 4 years after the launch of the PS5, is quite interesting. I think the Critic should basically say in his review, that the PS5 is the most redundant and inconsequential console ever released. Even the Atari Jaguar offered something new. PS5, nada, ugly plastic box with a decent controller, and literally no games you cannot get somewhere else (and those games that are locked into the Sony ecosystem can be obtained on the PS4 or are simply not worth paying 70 bucks to play).

I would not say 60fps is necessarily a standout feature for this generation. Every gen always had 60fps titles, just not many AAA's, which often on older consoles were locked to 30fps. Frame rate is always subjective, experience depends on game. Screen Tearing bothers me, so adjusting settings and frame capping to 60 or 120 works for me.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » April 13th, 2024, 1:00 pm

I think it is premature, you need to at least review 10 to 20 more games!

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » April 13th, 2024, 1:25 pm

This is genuinely the most worthless generation of consoles in my opinion. I love the Switch, and PC gaming (and most especially the indie scene) seems to be doing well, but the near complete lack of worthwhile exclusives on PS5 and XBSX is dire indeed. Plus the lack of innovation already mentioned in this thread. And the graphical "leap" between last gen and current gen is the lamest and most laughable.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Microsoft and Sony both eventually transitioned to PC gaming. They've been heading that way for a long time. Especially Microsoft. The Xbox brand always had a lot of PC influence.

This would leave Nintendo as the sole major console manufacturer. Do you think any other devs would step up to the plate and try their hands in a less crowded and competitive console space? Or is traditional, old school Nintendo the only company that will even see the value of home consoles? And if they are, do their consoles become mega successful by default, or do most gamers in general hop into the PC-sphere, and Nintendo consoles mainly cater to that niche hardcore Nintendo fanbase?

Either way, I feel like we're going to see a gigantic shift in console gaming sooner rather than later. But we gotta suffer through this nothing generation before we see that happen.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » April 13th, 2024, 4:03 pm

Yeah, I do feel, sooner or later, that consoles will be redundant. They are simply not cost effective to produce and technology has advanced to the point that cell phones, tablets, and laptops can produce PS4 level graphics or better, without fancy GPU's soldered in. AMD have done good work in this regard with their CPU's and onboard graphics. Intel are also now jumping in with graphics rendering. With multiplatform games the best way to make a buck from game development, with much of the population already in possession of devices with serious compute power, it would not surprise me if gaming evolves with the technology and gadgets people have making consoles moot. Nintendo included given a cell phone handily outperforms the Switch. Another issue for consoles is AI. With Nvidia and AMD all about AI, the gaming market is no longer their dominant source of income. No incentive to haggle prices.

It would be nice, with a lowest common denominator in place, to see game development less obsessed with graphical fidelity and more obsessed with good gameplay. Games, at least in principle, should be fun.

Then again, 15 years ago, Motion Controls and VR was the future of gaming, the future, always in motion, impossible to see unless I take shrooms and stare into a crystal ball...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 14th, 2024, 10:39 am

One concept I never felt was done to its fullest was 3D video games. I mean, look at the 3DS. That system sold like hotcakes with some very modest 3D effects.

What if a console had 3D games that required lightweight, inexpensive wireless glasses? It would pull the game out of the TV. And it would not be isolating like VR. You'd still be able to see your friends and play couch co-op.

They could even make it more fancy, perhaps displaying additional info in the corners of the specs, like health or score.

I always enjoyed the Sega Master System 3D games so imagine what they could do now.

noah98

Postby noah98 » April 23rd, 2024, 7:26 pm

DrLitch wrote:The only stand out feature for me, this generation, is that western development, at least from AAA studios, is the worst I have ever seen. The PS4 still being relevant and getting strong support, 4 years after the launch of the PS5, is quite interesting. I think the Critic should basically say in his review, that the PS5 is the most redundant and inconsequential console ever released. Even the Atari Jaguar offered something new. PS5, nada, ugly plastic box with a decent controller, and literally no games you cannot get somewhere else (and those games that are locked into the Sony ecosystem can be obtained on the PS4 or are simply not worth paying 70 bucks to play).

I would not say 60fps is necessarily a standout feature for this generation. Every gen always had 60fps titles, just not many AAA's, which often on older consoles were locked to 30fps. Frame rate is always subjective, experience depends on game. Screen Tearing bothers me, so adjusting settings and frame capping to 60 or 120 works for me.

You are definitely right, I should have clarified 60 fps for AAA games, since systems have always been capable. I'll have to say, playing The Last of Us I and II, Ratchet and Clank, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Spider-Man at 60 fps compared to the 30 fps on the PS4 made them feel like entirely different games to me. However, my son would say that it's not that big of a deal and 30 fps is fine. I do agree that screen tearing is the one thing that I have zero tolerance for. I remember playing the original Uncharted on the PS3 and being shocked at how bad the screen tearing made the game feel.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » April 23rd, 2024, 11:30 pm

noah98 wrote:I do agree that screen tearing is the one thing that I have zero tolerance for.

I can adapt to anything except screen tearing. I find high fps to be most desirable when playing FPS type games, particularly if they have fast movements. For side scrollers, RPG's and so on, I do not really care about FPS as long as I do not see screen tearing. For games that rely on tight controls and timing, playing something like Bloodborne at 30fps was nearly unbearable.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 24th, 2024, 7:59 am

Screen tearing? That’s a new one for me….

Return to “Video Games General”