New Features Thread

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

New Features Thread

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 12th, 2024, 3:54 pm

I have been contemplating adding a few new features to the site.

1. In-line comments. People often like to read comments on sites more than reviews. Under each review I could have a link like "5 comments" and when you click on that it displayed them right there. I was thinking they would be short, like 100 characters. And maybe we'd want to limit them to registered users, to keep out the riffraff.

2. "In case you missed it". Some readers say I should promote more of the articles I have hidden in the archives section. Much like I do with the "Seasonally Correct" section on the front page, I could have an "in case you missed it" section highlighting a random past article.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

MaverickMoPete

Re: New Features Thread

Postby MaverickMoPete » April 12th, 2024, 11:29 pm

If you didn’t mind making a page for each review, or maybe finding a way to inline them to a separate page, I recommend using Disqus.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » April 17th, 2024, 2:25 am

I like the comments suggestion!

Jonasbrother

Postby Jonasbrother » April 17th, 2024, 3:34 am

This may not realistic, but a more accessible feature for adding a single game screenshot to reader reviews would be cool!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 17th, 2024, 8:06 pm

MaverickMoPete wrote:If you didn’t mind making a page for each review, or maybe finding a way to inline them to a separate page, I recommend using Disqus.

Would you all prefer to have one review per page? I always thought my "continuous review" format was novel, but maybe it's worn out its welcome?

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 17th, 2024, 11:25 pm

Absolutely not. That post only brought it up as a technical caveat if you decide to use Disqus for review comments.

Even if comments are implemented in some collapsible inline format that doesn't disrupt the site, I think the forum threads serve that function well enough already, especially if comments would be limited to registered users anyway.

MaverickMoPete

Postby MaverickMoPete » April 18th, 2024, 5:02 am

Stalvern wrote:Absolutely not. That post only brought it up as a technical caveat if you decide to use Disqus for review comments.

Even if comments are implemented in some collapsible inline format that doesn't disrupt the site, I think the forum threads serve that function well enough already, especially if comments would be limited to registered users anyway.

What they said. I agree that the forum thread links you're including in your reviews serve the function well enough.

EdTA: But going forward, I would recommend each game gets its own thread instead of lumping them together.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » April 20th, 2024, 3:13 am

Hey, remember the good old days of promoting reader reviews to the main page?

I still remember my Pokemon Stadium review being promoted!

Would you ever bring that back?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 21st, 2024, 5:54 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
MaverickMoPete wrote:If you didn’t mind making a page for each review, or maybe finding a way to inline them to a separate page, I recommend using Disqus.

Would you all prefer to have one review per page? I always thought my "continuous review" format was novel, but maybe it's worn out its welcome?

The continuous review format is the way to go. A large majority has always preferred it when asked. It’s great for browsing the old systems.

I like your “if you missed it” idea. It sounds easy to implement and not intrusive. I agree that a lot of your great older articles are otherwise lost to time and buried on the site. If you have page view stats, it would be interesting to take a really old article and see the usual view count, compared to the view count if it gets put in the “if you missed it” section. Test that out and then you know if it’s worth it.

I like the thought behind the comments idea, but I can think of way to many drawbacks. Comment quality is going to vary widely, and it just clutters up your page. I agree with other posters here that the forum better serves this purpose. If you were strongly considering it, I think you should test it on just the PS5 page first, since it’s a small review section.

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » April 23rd, 2024, 5:50 am

I'd still go with a link to the forum threads of reviews, over displaying the comments as popups on the review pages.

Return to “Video Games General”