Adventure Games Without Walkthroughs?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Adventure Games Without Walkthroughs?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 17th, 2024, 8:15 am

When you play an adventure game like The Secret of Monkey Island, how often do you resort to looking at walkthroughs?

I can't think of a single one that I haven't had to look up a puzzle solution for at least once. Last night for instance, I was playing Monkey Island 2 and needed to get an item of a certain guy's clothes, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how. Turns out I was supposed to go to his hotel room, close the door, use a bucket of mud on the door to make Guybrush put the bucket on top of the door so it fell on the guy when he opened it, hide behind his changing screen, follow the guy to the laundromat, go back to his room, close the door again, find his laundry claim ticket nailed to the back of the door, and take it to the laundromat to steal his clothes. And if I hadn't been able to Google the answer, I doubt I would ever have pieced together that exact chain of actions to get the result I wanted.

Last year I played another game called The Last Door where I couldn't figure out how to get a feather out of a locked birdcage. The answer was to use a page of sheet music on the cage, which caused my guy to roll it up into a straw and blow the feather out. It sounds simple in retrospect, but how was I supposed to know that in this particular instance "use" meant "roll into a tube and blow through it"?

So to answer my own question, I always try my best to beat the game myself, but I'm not ashamed to use a walkthrough when the inevitable "moon logic" comes into play.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Adventure Games Without Walkthroughs?

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 18th, 2024, 3:31 pm

I also try to solve the puzzles myself, but if it starts taking too long I don't hesitate to check an FAQ.

The Monkey Island games are infamous for making you solve puzzles in the most roundabout ways. I know some people find that amusing but if you ask me it's a flaw. It's as though the designers got too "cute" with the puzzles.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 18th, 2024, 7:49 pm

Turns out, it gets even worse. A later puzzle in Monkey Island 2 requires you to win a spitting contest. To do this, you have to...

(spoiler warning)

1. Go to the library on the second island to get a library card.
2. Take that card to the bar on the first island and order a blue drink and a yellow drink.
3. Combine the two drinks to make a green drink.
4. Go to the antique store on the third island and buy the ship's horn.
5. Blow the horn in front of the spitting contest, distracting the judge.
6. Move the first place flag backwards before the judge comes back (which nobody notices for some reason despite the fact that you're doing it right in front of them).
7. Drink the green drink to make your spit thick.
8. Wait to spit until one of the other contestant's scarf starts blowing in the wind.

At this point, does the stupid thing even count as a puzzle? A puzzle is supposed to be something you can solve through intuition and logic, and I don't believe anyone would be able to piece together the necessary actions to get the intended outcome here without outside help.

Quick_Man

Postby Quick_Man » May 20th, 2024, 11:58 am

Games by LucasArts and Sierra are kinda infamous for being near impossible to finish without guides, so I can't blame anyone for using them. Frankly, I just don't really find the games fun in the first place, but I'd imagine that they're even less fun without a guide.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » May 20th, 2024, 12:47 pm

I don’t play a lot of those types of pure adventure games, but even in action adventure games I have had to resort to use guides. I can remember in the 90s having to glance through a book to figure out how to beat flashback quest for identity.

More recently I’ve played through tomb raider remastered, all three games, and although I tried to figure out the level puzzles myself, after it takes too long, I certainly look at Stella’s guide online. It makes the games much more enjoyable to be able to save it anytime and use a guide when you need it. In fact, playing the second London level I wondered if I would ever have beaten it without a guide.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 20th, 2024, 1:05 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:So to answer my own question, I always try my best to beat the game myself, but I'm not ashamed to use a walkthrough when the inevitable "moon logic" comes into play.

Same, don't feel bad. The puzzles are esoteric to say the least. You're trying to guess how the developer wants you to solve it versus letting you solve it in a logical manner. I love these types of games but usually grab a guide when I get stumped as well. Life is too short to waste it spending forever guessing what the developer wanted you to do.

Return to “Video Games General”