Things You Will Never Forgive Game Companies For

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Things You Will Never Forgive Game Companies For

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 19th, 2024, 7:36 pm

I'll begin.

I will never forgive Sega from switching their Genesis games from the durable clamshell packaging everyone loved to the cheap red cardboard boxes with slip covers. All so they could save 17 cents per game. Shame on them!!

Your turn.

DaHeckIzDat

Re: Things You Will Never Forgive Game Companies For

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 19th, 2024, 8:27 pm

Hello Games, and all the lies they told about No Man's Sky before it was released. Credit where it's due, they have released a buttload of updates that make it virtually unrecognizable from the mess it started out as, but the fact that they told so many blatant lies beforehand...I just can't pretend that never happened.

People like to defend them by saying it was the fans that hyped it up to an unrealistic degree and the developers didn't lie about anything. This isn't true. The head developer went on national tv promising features that were completely absent on launch day, like being able to meet other players while exploring space, being able to play a major role in shifting the power balance between multiple npc factions, and several types of environments and life forms that you would be able to find on the planets. Or they'll say that it was all Sony's fault for making Hello Games release the game too early, but despite that being the easiest possible copout the developers have never made that excuse, so I don't believe it. Then the defenders will say that drip feeding us the complete game over the course of several years was their plan all along. But if that was the case, why didn't they say so? Letting us think we were getting a complete product, only to give us a half finished mess, wasn't going to make anyone happy!

So yeah, good on Hello Games for eventually giving us what they promised instead of just abandoning the game. But anything they tell us about their future projects is going to have to be taken with an ocean's worth of salt because we know that lying about what's in their games absolutely something they'll do.

Quick_Man

Postby Quick_Man » May 20th, 2024, 11:56 am

Microsoft shutting down Tango after the phenomenal Hi-Fi Rush outperformed all sales and critical expectations and even got to sit at awards tables with the big boys. It essentially confirmed one thing - they don't care if developers make good games. They don't care if developers make SUCCESSFUL games, because they redefine success to mean whatever they have to pretend a success wasn't a success so they can close them down and claim profit for the next quarter. It's just all about branding and claiming perpetual growth. This mentality is going to genuinely cause a second video game crash if it doesn't stop soon and worst still it won't just be a crash in North America like it was last time, this one might be flatout global.

jon

Postby jon » May 20th, 2024, 5:01 pm

I’d say Sony in 1995 using their might to just basically put everyone out of business. When I was a kid I was in the NES generation but I was always fascinated by Atari. And I never got a chance to play a system but would’ve come close to getting a Jaguar if they didn’t have to deal with Sony’s overwhelming pressure. I was reading about the Jaguar and 3do in Game Pro and was probably going to get one of them but them boom they were done.

I just wonder what would’ve happened in the 5th gen if Sony didn’t enter the market. I know it’s hard to suspend your imagination considering how inevitable it was for Sony. But a bar room brawl between the 3do, Jaguar, and Saturn in 1995-1996 would’ve been one heck of an interesting thing. A slew of 2nd gen and just other games were about to come out for the Jaguar too. And I also don’t think Sony is innocent with the whole cutting off Sega after NFL 2k5 either. Or maybe even putting a pedestrian Triple Play on computer game shelves in 1998 without even a career mode.

RDReynolds

Postby RDReynolds » May 20th, 2024, 5:36 pm

EA for becoming a monopoly for NFL games. True, it's not 100% their fault, but it ruined the great competition we used to get. Gameday, Madden, NFL 2K...what I wouldn't give for that competition driving NFL games today instead of being stuck with one option.

brendand

Postby brendand » May 20th, 2024, 7:03 pm

I like Sega but it is apparently clear to me

That the 32X was it’s biggest mistake like it’s got a very small library and a huge failure at least the Sega CD sold a couple /few million at least and had more good games.

2nd blunder giving up on the west in 2001 with the Dreamcast whilst officially supporting Japanese releases till late 2004 ……..

3rd blunder Dreamcast not having DVD support yet having VCD support umm yeah Ps2 won the battle mainly cause of convenience

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » May 20th, 2024, 8:26 pm

Imagic games. Back in 1983, I sent an entire $1.50 to join the Imagic Numb Thumb Club. Not only did I not receive anything in return, I didn’t get a refund either. I will now sit back and await your sympathies.

Van Halbgott

Postby Van Halbgott » May 20th, 2024, 8:42 pm

Nintendo for putting cosmic horror and tugging at your heartstrings with Kirby and the Forgotten Land.

Fecto Forgo is what made me take a break from playing modern games or Switch games for that matter.

I still use my Switch though, but for other games instead (Sonic games, classic Sega games, NSO NES titles, even SSBU still).

It's not like I have to play the latest and greatest games of the latest systems anyway, right?

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 20th, 2024, 10:55 pm

Van Halbgott wrote:Nintendo for putting cosmic horror and tugging at your heartstrings with Kirby and the Forgotten Land.

Pulling an eldritch horror out of nowhere for the final boss is pretty much Kirby tradition at this point.

strat

Postby strat » May 20th, 2024, 11:18 pm

Nintendo for pulling the plug on Super Mario 35. Sometimes I boot it up only to get the "error occurred" message. :cry:

Return to “Video Games General”