Things You Will Never Forgive Game Companies For

General and high profile video game topics.
icepeople

Re: Things You Will Never Forgive Game Companies For

Postby icepeople » May 21st, 2024, 1:22 am

All forms of microtransactions, subscriptions and everything related that means you can't just buy a game and play it to your heart's content before moving on to something else — and then revisiting it as desired in the future.

It essentially killed gaming for me, aside from my retro collections.

JohanOberg

Postby JohanOberg » May 21st, 2024, 1:49 am

Konami for ruining themselves.

JWK

Postby JWK » May 21st, 2024, 9:16 am

Microsoft for attempting to turn a physical console game into a DRM license you don’t own at the beginning of the XBox One launch. I really enjoyed the original XBox because Microsoft took risks with unique games. The 360 I enjoyed a little less because they were strong in the beginning of the generation and basically stopped trying by the end. But Microsoft lost me with the XBox One, not just because of their ridiculous plans listed above, but the fact they had no worthwhile exclusives (outside of Forza Horizon) for that entire generation. I felt doubly burned when I, against my better judgement, bought an XBox One X after hearing people tell me how superior it was to play multiplatform games over the PS4 Pro. I could barely tell the difference. That was the last straw for me. Microsoft lost me and have been unable to win me back. Seeing them shut down developers like Tango and Arcane Austin is just the latest in a long list of offenses of Xbox blunders I can’t forgive.

Anchoa79

Postby Anchoa79 » May 21st, 2024, 9:45 am

icepeople wrote:All forms of microtransactions, subscriptions and everything related that means you can't just buy a game and play it to your heart's content before moving on to something else — and then revisiting it as desired in the future.

It essentially killed gaming for me, aside from my retro collections.

+1

MaverickMoPete

Postby MaverickMoPete » May 21st, 2024, 6:57 pm

Any company that intentionally releases a game in a “semi-finished” state and use patches to fix it later after player complaints come pouring in.

Effectively making players pay to be beta testers.

ETA: Not to be confused with “early access” games where the devs make it clear up front that the game is still a WIP.

nesfan

Postby nesfan » May 21st, 2024, 7:31 pm

Nintendo for all the baffling decisions they made that killed the Wii U. There was the confusing marketing in the beginning. I mean, I was excited for it but I was confused why they were only showing off the controller. They needed the next entries in their big franchises to sell consoles and they had some success with that as Mario Kart 8 sold a ton for them. But then comes Super Smash Bros. This will be the big killer app for the console. Except it wasn't. They had no faith in it to sell consoles so they released a 3DS version alongside of it that ate all the Wii U sales. And made an inferior final product because they cut the Ice Climbers from the final roster due to difficulties getting them to work on 3DS. And they just had to keep the roster the same between the 2 versions so they were cut from Wii U as well, even though they would have worked just fine. For nearly every great game they released for it, they released a port on either 3DS or Switch with more content. Great. Thanks for making me feel like an idiot for supporting the Wii U. Also two of the biggest complaints against the system were not enough mature games and not enough games that made use of the gamepad. Then along comes Koei Tecmo with a new entry in the Fatal Frame series, a mature game that uses the gamepad to take pictures of the ghosts. And how does NOA respond? "Eh, that'll never sell. Just throw that up on the Eshop." Speaking of using the gamepad as the camera, fans the world over thought the Wii U would be perfect for a new Pokemon Snap. But Nintendo shot it down, saying they had no ideas on how to innovate the gameplay. Umm... What are you talking about? Using the gamepad as a camera is literally an innovative new way to play the game! And it didn't stop them from releasing a new one on the Swith that did not have any gameplay innovations. I really think they just wanted the Wii U to fail. Every decision they made with it seemed like they were trying to bury it.

xbox2.5

Postby xbox2.5 » May 22nd, 2024, 10:58 am

Atari for its lousy port of Pac-Man to the 2600. Blue maze. Exits in the wrong area. No fruit. Different scoring system. And to make it even worse, the guy who programmed the game allegedly taped a copy of his first royalty check on his office door. If that doesn't epitomize Atari's early-80s hubris, nothing does.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 22nd, 2024, 11:58 am

After 20+ years I've finally given up my grudge against Sony. But, I really disliked and hated them for a very long time for killing the Dreamcast.

Sony's marketing department was completely full of shit and lied about the "Emotion Engine" coming out for the PS2. The hype on the PS2 killed any momentum for Sega's Dreamcast. It was completely bonkers the level of hype for the console. And when it came out the launch games were crap. Plus, they didn't have anti-aliasing. Dreamcast games looked better than the PS2 games. It was nuts.

I held off on getting a PS2 for years due to them killing the Dreamcast. Sure, Sega had other issues that contributed but the lack of sales was due in large part of folks wanting to wait for the PS2.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » May 22nd, 2024, 2:34 pm

Gaming companies, all the major studios, for getting stuck in the rut of years of development producing pretty graphics and little in the way of gameplay. I think many companies have forgotten what made games fun. Beauty is only skin deep after all.

Wii U? Yeah bad product. Going through the entire library I can only see around two or three titles worth having and a whole bunch of mediocre games many of which were available elsewhere with superior performance. The 3DS having a better Smash Bros game probably did not hurt the WII U, the damage was done before. Even Reggie could not spin his way out of the fact that the hardware of the Wii U could not run a PS3 game at 30fps.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » May 22nd, 2024, 4:01 pm

Horse Armor - Bethesda for making it, and M$ allowing it on Xbox 360

It was the beginning of a lot of bad things.

Return to “Video Games General”