whats an amiga?

General and high profile video game topics.
Doom Trooper

whats an amiga?

Postby Doom Trooper » May 21st, 2006, 1:43 pm

Well looks like all the replies on this question about the Amiga CD 32, are way off.   The Amiga CD 32, is a 32 Bit system that was released here in the U.S back in 1993.   This system played CD games, but got poor reviews, being that it was not that much of a good graphics system.  Not that many games were made for the system.  The controller was shaped like a letter 'U' consisting of three colored buttons, red,green and yellow.   It didn't sell much because there were more powerful 32 bit systems out there, like the Sega 32x and Panasonic 3DO.   The lid of the system opened up like that if the Sega CD.  It was a cool looking system, but other than that, that was it,not much else was ever good about.  Thats why it's so rare to find.

Thanx for reading

welcometoyourdoom

whats an amiga?

Postby welcometoyourdoom » May 22nd, 2006, 3:48 pm

To paraphrase:

I have a wonderful idea why not type in "amiga" and see what pops up?  It's not our job to do research for you.  And reagrding the games themselves

ST<Amiga.

Can you see the irony?

I mostly left the crappy spelling alone, for comic effect.

sega saturn x

whats an amiga?

Postby sega saturn x » May 22nd, 2006, 5:39 pm

[QUOTE=welcometoyourdoom]

To paraphrase:

I have a wonderful idea why not type in "amiga" and see what pops up?  It's not our job to do research for you.  And reagrding the games themselves

ST<Amiga.

Can you see the irony?

I mostly left the crappy spelling alone, for comic effect.

[/QUOTE]

This thread is two years old

Robotrek

Re: whats an amiga?

Postby Robotrek » September 15th, 2021, 7:18 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:
Funny you should bring this up. When I was buying 5 1/4" floppy disks for my Atari XL computer in 1983, I remember hearing about how they probably wouldn't be able to hold their data for more than a few years. But how would anybody know?

Well, just a year or two ago I acquired an Atari XEGS console, which plays all old Atari 8-bit software. I bought a 1050 floopy disk drive and purchased some old floppy disk games going on 20 years old. Needless to say, they worked like a charm. Not only did they read fine, but I could write to them to save my game with no problem.

For all we know, these things might last forever. Maybe longer than CDs!

Dave

Meanwhile in 2021 many of my floppies STILL work. Crazy.

MSR1701

Re: whats an amiga?

Postby MSR1701 » September 15th, 2021, 2:39 pm

Michael Danehy wrote:Hmm, I wonder why it wasn't released in the states. What's the power of the Amiga compared with Genesis and Turbografx?

Technically the CD32 was released in the states, though in VERY small quantities. The majority of the units bound for the US were held in customs (in the Philippines I think? It's been a while since I read the story on this) due to some legal issues Commodore USA was going thru; by the time the systems were able to be released to arrive in the US, Commodore USA was just short of closing for good, and the units were repurposed for the UK/EU market while Commodore's EU branch tried (and eventually failed) to gain control of the whole Commodore brand.

Quite a shame too, as the Amiga CD32 was easily the best of the early CD systems (most of the games were Amiga 500/1200 games on a CD-ROM with FMVs, though some games like Guardian showed what the system was able to do, easily more powerful than the SNES in certain areas). I really wanted an Amiga CD32 when I was young, though by the time I was allowed to ask for a new system, the CD32 was LONG gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mop0gSY7AmA&t=229s

The Amiga computer was a major player in the UK/EU markets, and barely was noticed in the US, due in part to the rise of the IBM PC/Windows market and the fact that Commodore US didn't know how to sell the thing (a constant theme in interviews from former Commodore staff is that the US branch wanted to keep moving the C64 and treat the Amiga as a curiosity, while the EU side sold it as a games platform. Sales tell you which side had more success).

TONS of great games are on the Amiga, with many projects finding their way to the Sega Genesis (they shared the same core CPU Processor, and the Genesis was a major seller in the UK; it also helped that many programmers in the UK/EU side learned the 68000 from the Amiga, and many of the tricks carried over to the Genesis/Mega Drive side).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt90Q0yVmeM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOvlCFvtuZY
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... TOV-MU9wph

Return to “Video Games General”