Video Game Mania 9 Results

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 8th, 2013, 8:05 pm

I posted the results to Video Game Mania 9.

I think I may have used a few suggestions from readers when it came to selecting the games.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 9th, 2013, 11:26 am

Hahahahah!  Looks like a great time as usual.  I love the photo on the main page of the article.  It makes you out to be like Calypso from Twisted Metal!  

Awesome selection of games.  I was also happy to see a short list of games that you thought about including but didn't.  I feel like you covered alot of fundamental genres with this tourney...1 on 1 fighter, side scrolling space ship shooter, platformer, racing game, sports game etc...good stuff.

I love seeing the same group of guys come back after all these years.  I love how Hawk tries to get in everyone's head with his attire and antics.  The trophy around the neck made me crack up.

Glad to see this back again.  I can't wait to have my own in the next few months.  Time for me to get planning and prepping!

Teddybear1

Postby Teddybear1 » May 9th, 2013, 7:05 pm

This looks like it was a great time and your presentation of the results was a great read.  Thanks for sharing this Dave.

For you guys that own actual original arcade games....what happens when the thing breaks down?  I am sure there are repairmen out there (I've seen a few businesses that advertise this service here in southeastern Michigan) but since they do not make circuit chips or other technical replacement parts anymore......what then?  I admit it - I am jealous (especially of the Centipede game).  I guess my point is that I wouldn't want anybody but myself touching these classic relics!!!!!!!  But I am selfish and an only child.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 9th, 2013, 8:43 pm

Teddybear,
Thanks for the feedback!

The arcade machines are pretty sturdy, so even when young kids are over, I don't mind them pounding on them.

On RARE occasions (once every few years) there will be a blown fuse or loose chip.  Since I purchased mine at QuarterArcade in PA I can usually call them for assistance, and it usually something that can be fixed over the phone.  Once they tracked down a replacement board for my Crystal Castles machine, which cost about $100.

Now the pinball machines - they are another story.  I purchased mine near-mint yet they still have problems about once a year.  The wires are birds nest but a few of my friends are engineers who can fix anything.

I will start another thread about the arcade machines.

VGC

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » May 9th, 2013, 9:30 pm

This was a really fun read, the different games that you picked were pretty diverse across the board and the fact that you threw in Ninja Gaiden III is awesome. This is always a fun article to read about. Thanks!

Irenicus1

Postby Irenicus1 » May 10th, 2013, 12:21 pm

So you don't participate in your own tournament? That must be hard to do. Maybe you should make the winner face you for the "ultimate prize"?

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 10th, 2013, 1:05 pm

[QUOTE=Irenicus]So you don't participate in your own tournament? That must be hard to do. Maybe you should make the winner face you for the "ultimate prize"?[/QUOTE]

As someone who has copied the Critic's blueprint and held my own VGM of sorts...it would be almost impossible to compete.  First you have to be constantly keeping track of things, disputes, controller questions, food, booze etc... Plus you're always trying to get people to compete in multiplayer stuff.  It's beyond hectic.  Second, people will complain that you have an advantage since you were the one to pick all of the games.  

I'd love to play all these games against my friends, but most of the joy came from seeing them experiencing some pretty obscure (to them anyways) games.  The hilarity of the day is unreal.  If it wasn't such a pain in the ass to set up something like this, I would do it every couple of weeks!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 10th, 2013, 4:08 pm

JustLikeHeaven is right.  When you're running something like this, you don't have time to sit down much less play a game.  You're rounding up people for the multiplayer games, writing down scores, fixing games that have been reset (or stopped working).

Still, it's fun to watch the action unfold, and it gives me a chance to catch up with some guys who I haven't seen in a while.

But yeah - it's exhausting.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » May 10th, 2013, 5:21 pm

So how do compared to your friends who are playing the games? It seems like there were quite a few people well versed in several of the games so I think it'd be interesting to see how the VGC compares to them. I know you can't do it since you are the host but it'd just be fun to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Gentlegamer1

Postby Gentlegamer1 » May 11th, 2013, 1:12 am

I'm so glad to see the best feature on this site return!

I think I suggested Thunderforce III - good to see it used!

Return to “Video Games General”