Retron 5 Console

General and high profile video game topics.
Tron1

Retron 5 Console

Postby Tron1 » March 5th, 2015, 11:29 pm

Critic - ever get one? Burk, Chaser, Leo, Oltobaz, Rev, anyone?

I'm getting closer and closer to buying one on eBay. I just want to save games like Castlevania so I don't have to start from the beginning every time just to get killed by the Grim Reaper. If the emulation is closer to the Gameboy Player on the GameCube then it is to the Retro Duo I'll be happy. I want to get a used one in like-new condition with the updates already installed so I don't have to bother doing it. Unfortunately those conditions don't come up very often.

I'd love to hear some more opinions on this.

Oltobaz1

Retron 5 Console

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 6th, 2015, 1:35 am

I have one, yes. I'm very happy with it, the emulation is just about perfect.
The latest updates made it possible to run fan made patches, meaning it's
possible to play something like Bahamut Lagoon in English. A nice touch!

Tron1

Retron 5 Console

Postby Tron1 » March 28th, 2015, 8:57 pm

Thanks for the answer Oltobaz. I'm still thinking about this, but first Im thinking about getting SNK volume 0, MLB Power Pros and the Taito Museum on ebay for PSP. Not thinking I'll ever use fan translation patches as I don't plan to put it online. Still it sound like a groovy feature. Wish Brigandine Grand Edition (PS1) would get an English version.

Tron

Re: Retron 5 Console

Postby Tron » May 30th, 2015, 9:43 pm

I read that there is a 2nd model of the Retron 5. Apparently it has the updates on it so I wouldn't have to bother with updating it. Also the connectors are looser so the grip on the cartridges aren't as tight. Problem is I can't find any info on the second model. Specifically I'd like to know how you can tell one model from another. Is there a label on the machine that says version 2.0 or something. Even serial number that are different?

Return to “Video Games General”