Retron 5 Console

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Retron 5 Console

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 13th, 2013, 8:30 pm

What do you guys think about the Retron 5 Console that's supposed to come out this summer?

It's supposed to support a wide range of classic cartridges, and upscale them to 720p.  I'm intrigued.

Segatarious1

Retron 5 Console

Postby Segatarious1 » May 13th, 2013, 9:18 pm

Its nice it supports the original controllers, cause the Retron 5 controller looks turrible.

http://hyperkin.com/blog/2013/03/retron-5-details-revealed-from-the-midwest-gaming-classic/

Rev1

Retron 5 Console

Postby Rev1 » May 13th, 2013, 10:33 pm

this looks stupidly cool... Who needs to mod a console when you can just use this... I don't normally support these things but I just might for this one.

rahimtx1

Retron 5 Console

Postby rahimtx1 » May 13th, 2013, 11:00 pm

When I first read your post, I was like thats cool.  Then the more I read about it from your links has made me really physced about it.

Irenicus1

Retron 5 Console

Postby Irenicus1 » May 13th, 2013, 11:10 pm

My initial concern is that some audio & video won't be right. My Retro Duo is cool, but I went back to using original hardware since it wasn't "perfect".

Otherwise this looks awesome & something I'll want to buy. One awesome feature reported is that you can save games at any point during gameplay. One of my biggest turnoffs for retro games is that I can't save my gameplay. Yes I want to try & beat the Grim Reaper again, but no I don't want to have to play through all the levels just to get to him (Castlevania NES). If this is true than maybe some minor audio/video imperfections are worth it.

The more I think about it if this thing hits stores I'm buying it.

Greisha1

Retron 5 Console

Postby Greisha1 » May 13th, 2013, 11:14 pm

I'm excited, but will probably wait until the game compatibility lists pop up.

If it doesn't support Castlevania 3, I probably won't get it.

soporj1

Retron 5 Console

Postby soporj1 » May 14th, 2013, 12:56 am

They need one of these that plays Atari 2600/5200, Intellivision, and Colecovision games!

JustLikeHeaven1

Retron 5 Console

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 14th, 2013, 9:45 am

I've waited a long time to get something like this...if the reviews turn out OK then this might be the one I go with.

scotland171

Retron 5 Console

Postby scotland171 » May 14th, 2013, 11:05 am

I have had a Retron 3 for 2 and a half years, and its still sold for about half the $100 cost the Retron 5 is reviewed at. The RF controller the 3 it comes with was is a weak point, but having ports for each system made up for it. This Retron 5 updates the video, and the controller from RF to Bluetooth, but you might only get the one controller. The unit looks nicer than the R3 to be sure.  You will have to rotate the console to use the regular controller ports.  Not sure how big of a draw famicom or super famicom is for most gamers - and the Retron 3 might play super famicom already - and not sure if I would count the Asia versions as another console!

Many of of us do have a box of Gameboy, Gameboy Color, and Gameboy Advanced cartridges, so that is fun - so call it four consoles.  If the Bluetooth controller is as weak as the Retron 3 RF ones, its lifespan is measured in months.  What controller would you use then - the SNES?  Even so, my Gamecube plays all three Gameboy carts with pretty nice video already and Gamecube controllers which I like.

The reason the Retrons are nice and legal is that the patents on the original hardware has expired. That's great for everyone - Nintendo could even sell new SNES cartridges if they wanted to.  The funny thing is that Coleco could make an Atari 2600 clone back in the day legally...so why not have the Retron 5 play Atari 2600 cartridges? The Flashbacks (except the Flashback 1) have Stella-on-a-chip, don't they? Except for the flashbacks, I have to play my Atari collection on RF (or pass through a VCR for RCA).  The Atari replication would have been sweeter.

Return to “Video Games General”