PS4 has no DRM/on-line restrictions!

General and high profile video game topics.
darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » June 11th, 2013, 1:18 pm

Chaser-Um, Microsoft did blow most people away with the games they showed, the price might be a deal-breaker for some, but you do get a discount on the price if you agree a two-year Premium Live subscription, which sounds like a good deal depending on how much the discount is.  I don't really care about the region lock, as usually there aren't any overseas titles I have a burning desire to play.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 11th, 2013, 1:34 pm

[QUOTE=darkrage6]

Chaser-Um, Microsoft did blow most people away with the games they showed, the price might be a deal-breaker for some, but you do get a discount on the price if you agree a two-year Premium Live subscription, which sounds like a good deal depending on how much the discount is.  I don't really care about the region lock, as usually there aren't any overseas titles I have a burning desire to play.

[/QUOTE]
I'm a little less blown away since they clarified that each character in Killer Instict has to be bought seperately.  I don't hate free-to-play, but free-to-pay is something I detest.  A fighting game that starts out with only one character is not free to play, it is free-to-pay.  Free-to-play would be a great game, with 8 or 10 free characters, and the ability to buy outfits, hats, taunts, and maybe some characters down the road someday.  You make a game people love enough to want to pay more to enjoy it more for a long time.  That is what, say, Team Fortress 2 does, the best miodel of free-to-play. 

Buying every character but one is the absolute height of rip-off.  It is no game, with the need to pay a bunch of times to enjoy almost anything at all. 

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » June 11th, 2013, 3:31 pm

I know the model sounds intimidating on the surface, but if you're like me and you only use a few characters in a fighting game, then this can actually be an advantage depending on how much the characters cost, if it's like 4-5 dollars per character, then that's reasonable enough, as I could end paying less then 60 dollars for the game as a whole.

michaeld1

Postby michaeld1 » June 11th, 2013, 4:52 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]Well, looks like this DRM Fiasco was primarily an unprecedented partnership between EA and MS...wow.

[/QUOTE]

If that was true, wouldn't EA have pushed Xbox One exclusives and only given lip-service to PS4?  Probably not, since they're supporting both equally, it seems.

More to the point, though, I really have tried to give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt and I haven't jumped to hysteria on everything bad that's come out about it immediately (especially since some of that, like the Kinect always watching you, have proven to be false).  But between Sony's conference last night, the PS4's $399 price and today's bombshell on Killer Instinct being a digital-only/free-to-play/potentially micro-transaction-heavy game that it is, Sony's definitely has beaten Microsoft (and, for that matter, Nintendo, too) and it seems like PS4 will be the system for the next generation's champion easily.  It's also now the one I'll probably buy... and this is from the owner of only the 360 during the last console cycle.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » June 11th, 2013, 6:10 pm

The ironic thing about this is that except for the the lower initial price, I think Sony has somehow gained the upper hand just by keeping the PS4 as much like the PS3 as possible.

If they win this generation, it will be a default victory.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » June 11th, 2013, 6:13 pm

[QUOTE=Josh]I think Microsoft must have based all of their Xbox1 strategy off of darkrage's input because he's down with everything they're doing.[/QUOTE]

Heh I was tempted to say the same thing last night.

Over at GS' System Wars, the Lemmings are having a really hard time with this... straining so hard to make these features sound advantageous.  Reading darkrage's comments, I could almost feel the pain he must be experiencing as he strains to stay within party lines like this.

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » June 11th, 2013, 6:32 pm

This sounds awesome.  For the record slickdeals has started a list of stores that are accepting preorders now.   if you are interested in it, you probably want to preorder it now, so you dont have to wait in line for 20 hours 6 months from now.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/96800/amazon-sony-playstation-4-500gb-console-preorder

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » June 11th, 2013, 7:21 pm

Josh-Wow, relax dude.  I'm allowed to have a different opinion ya know?

Hearing all this "wallet-raping" hyperbole only makes me want to buy a One ever more LOL. 

What really matters to me is the games, and the One just has better looking games IMO, if it were up to me, I wouldn't do the online authentication or DRM stuff, but those are only minor issues for me that I can easily look past if the games play as good as they look.

Mozart-I'm not feeling any "pain" whatsoever, Nintendo used to be my company, but then the Wii looked a little too gimmicky for me, so I decided to go with the 360 on a whim and I didn't regret it.

Return to “Video Games General”