GameStop Perspective

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

GameStop Perspective

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 20th, 2013, 3:57 pm

I've been very critical of GameStop in the past.  I didn't appreciate some of their practices, and their stores are often a mess.  Still, I had a conversation with my mom (!) a while back that changed my perspective.

I was talking to her and mentioned in passing how bad GameStop was.  Then she reminded me that a lot of kids like that store.  She pointed out it was a place where my young nephew can save up a few dollars over the course of several weeks and actually be able to buy a game.

I felt kind of bad.  I realized not everybody can afford the latest brand new $60 game, and not everyone requires their games to be in "mint" condition.  I realized what a pompous ass I was.  It gave me new perspective and I feel different about the store now.

Just thought I'd share that with you.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

GameStop Perspective

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 20th, 2013, 4:06 pm

Speaking of moms, I found a really interesting/funny article about the Xbox 180.  The part where the author tries to explain the Xbox One to his mom is hilarious.

darkrage61

GameStop Perspective

Postby darkrage61 » June 20th, 2013, 4:14 pm

Glad you changed your perspective, i've been going to Gamestop for as long as I can remember.  My local stores are usually well organized, the employees are really nice, and with trade-ins and the Power-Up Rewards program i've saved quite a bit of money on games.  I can't even remember the last time I paid a full 60 dollars for a new game.

PSX1

GameStop Perspective

Postby PSX1 » June 20th, 2013, 5:35 pm

I buy almost all my games on Amazon, but, overall, I've never really had a major problem with GameStop.  I understand that ultimately it's a business and I can't blame them for doing things that make them more money, even if those same things are annoying to me as a gamer.  That being said, I do have three gripes with GameStop:

1.  They put more stickers on their used games than a 5 year old making a mother's day card.  And god forbid you try to peel the things off... the games often come out looking even uglier after you make that hopeless attempt!  The worst is when they put stickers on the manual... Come on.

2.  I hate how much they rip off kids (and adults) that trade in their games.  It makes far more sense to sell your games on Amazon/eBay if you have the time.  Now.. yes.. this is a problem/reality that exists with any reseller of used products, such as pawn shops and college bookstores-- they buy used product far below market value to maximize profits.  But at least it's usually adults that are affected by those practices.  Game stores are one of the very few places where a young kid might resell something they own.  And unlike adults, kids don't necessarily realize they're getting ripped off and taking an awful deal.  Does GameStop even require an adult to be present for that trade-in?  I dk, but I hope so.

3.  I always get the names for GameStop and the website GameSpot mixed up.  I hate that.  (Ok, not sure that this counts as a real problem with GameStop....) 

Edward1

GameStop Perspective

Postby Edward1 » June 20th, 2013, 6:20 pm

I can't see how anyone can pay 60 bucks for a game.  Thats insane.  I live on a $1000 a month internship + student loans (no help from parents) so my money is VERY limited.  No matter how much game developers (who make far more money than me) like Cliffy B in the other thread try to guilt me into buying games new, sorry its not happening.  $60 dollars is more than a weeks worth of food for me.  Used games do help the gaming economy, in ways the developers dont see.  Kids can afford games on their allowance money like Dave said, and starving college students like me can afford to game as well.  The money indirectly makes it to the developers, because someone had to buy the original.  They resale and trade it in so they can afford more games.  The ability to resale games adds to the value of games, which allows them to charge more initially.   This is something they haven't quite figured out yet.  You simply cannot charge as much for a digital game as a physical game for these reasons.

However, even with all this said, I still hate Gamestop.  They drove all the other game stores out of business, or bought them.   Their prices are ridiculous. $55 for a used stickered up game? No thanks.  Also, I refuse to shop there because I know if I refuse to sign up for their membership scam, the employees may get their hours reduced.  I dont want to feel guilty for shopping.   Its simply a terribly run store.  I know you said kids can shop there to get games for cheap.  However, it is my experience that games are almost always cheaper at local game stores.  I know in light of the recent nonsense  with the xbox one, Gamestop may look good again.  However, in my opinion, they still suck.

darkrage61

GameStop Perspective

Postby darkrage61 » June 20th, 2013, 7:04 pm

I don't think Gamestop rips people off at all, I usually get more for trading my games there then I would on Ebay or Amazon, and with seller fees and how long it can take your items to actually sell on those sites, it just dosen't like it's worth listing them online.

darkrage61

GameStop Perspective

Postby darkrage61 » June 20th, 2013, 7:10 pm

How exactly is Power-Up Rewards a scam?  I've had great experiences with it and have gotten some great deals with the coupons and everything. 

Where I live, there are NO other local game stores, Gamestop is quite literally the only "game" in town(not counting Best Buy or Walmart, though there did used to be a Game Crazy store in my area, but I can't recall their used game prices being any cheaper)so for many people like myself, we don't have the option of a "local" store. 

Segatarious1

GameStop Perspective

Postby Segatarious1 » June 20th, 2013, 7:50 pm

Gamestop is a bad store and no one should shop there.

Great, buy games used, buy them online, whatver, but do not give business to Gamestop. Their trade in deals are laughably bad, and frankly their 'deals' are nothing to write home about....If kids are patient, they can find much better deals online and get games new and complete, not molested and marked up...

darkrage61

GameStop Perspective

Postby darkrage61 » June 20th, 2013, 8:42 pm

Kids can buy games from wherever the heck they want, you can't imprint your personal thoughts onto everyone, whether it's a "bad" store or not is just YOUR opinion, NOT a fact.. Frankly most of the time i've gotten better deals from Gamestop, all the used games i've got from there have worked perfectly and were reasonably priced, whereas a few of the games I bought from Amazon were scratched so badly that no amount of cleaning would fix them(and they were listed as being in "very good" condition). Gamestop's exclusive DLC is another main reason why people buy games there.

Rev1

GameStop Perspective

Postby Rev1 » June 20th, 2013, 8:55 pm

I've never really had a problem with Gamestop. Sure they rule the market but they also make it a lot more affordable to most gamers. The games tend to come in pretty decent shape and I skip over the ones incomplete so it isn't too much of a problem. I think it also encourages a cheaper price overall for the market. I doubt games would drop as quickly as they do if there wasn't a strong used game market.

Return to “Video Games General”