GameStop Perspective

General and high profile video game topics.
nesfan1

GameStop Perspective

Postby nesfan1 » June 20th, 2013, 9:37 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]I felt kind of bad.  I realized not everybody can afford the latest brand new $60 game, and not everyone requires their games to be in "mint" condition.  I realized what a pompous ass I was.[/QUOTE]
That's what changed your mind? Gamestop isn't the only outlet for getting used games for cheap prices. Disliking them for their practices hardly makes you a pompous ass.

Edward1

GameStop Perspective

Postby Edward1 » June 21st, 2013, 7:32 am

I guess powerup is not a scam directly, because they tell you exactly what it is.  I referred to it as a scam, because you would have to spend a lot to make it worth it, and the way they pressure employees to promote it .  If employees do not get a certain percentage of powerup sales or preorders, they get their hours cut, as I learned in the "ZeroOriginality" videos on youtube.  I remember when I'd tell them I dont want a subscription, they'd get angry at me. Thats the reason why.   However, I felt whats the point of spending $15 bucks to get a 10% discount on a $10 dollar game.   I'd have to buy $150 a year (even more if you consider the time value of money) to make that promotion worth it, considering I never sell my games.  However, at the time, I didnt know why employees got angry at me for turning down power up.  Now I know why, and this is a despicable way to treat your employees, which causes them to treat customers bad.

I know some of you had said Gamestop is the only place in town to buy games.  If thats the case, Id buy online.  You can get much better deals on Amazon warehouse or in Gamefly's sales (Never use gamefly's rental nonsense though, its overpriced and lousy).   Pretty much, games will be always be cheaper (And in better condition) through these routes, even when you include the powerup nonsense.

JustLikeHeaven1

GameStop Perspective

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » June 21st, 2013, 9:38 am

I'm not a fan of Gamestop, but I do know that they serve a purpose, especially to younger gamers.  Most people on this site are collectors and cherish games in mint condition....Gamestop has long been known to put stickers on cases and try to sell terrible condition games at premium prices.  

That being said, if you are a person who doesn't hold onto games and doesn't have the income to buy things brand new they are the place to go.  If you sign up for their membership you can actually get some pretty decent trade in values.  You just have to trade your games in at the right time.  The will usually run specials where you can get an extra 30% on games.  Taking advantage of these deals will often net you some decent value for your games.  You have to basically change the way you shop and conform to their business model if you want to get good deals.  

It should also be noted that occasionally Gamestop will put games onsale on their website.  If you purchase a new from there the games always come from a warehouse and are sealed.

I used to be a guy who would buy games at full price.  However, with how disposable the industry has become it's pretty easy to get good deals.  If you wait about 3-4 months after a game is released you can usually find it on amazon for $30-$40.  After about 6 months it goes down to $20 or maybe less depending on how well the game is still selling.  I'm no longer a guy that needs to buy AAA on release day.  Patience is a gamer's best friend when trying to get good deals on games.

darkrage61

GameStop Perspective

Postby darkrage61 » June 21st, 2013, 2:01 pm

I can understand why people would find Power-Up Rewards a rip-off if you don't sell your games.  I on the other hand don't hold on to my games after i've finished them, I always end up trading them in towards the latest new releases and I end up earning enough points to get a few coupons, so I don't think it's "nonsense" at all. 

I do buy games online but that's mostly older games that have gone way down in price(and PC games), now I mostly buy new from Gamestop because they have exclusive pre-order bonuses that Amazon and other online sites do not have, plus i'd end up paying more money if I bought games new online, since I always trade my older games towards the purchase of new ones at Gamestop.  Plus there have been a few times where i've been ripped off by Amazon, two of the games I bought from Amazon would not progress past a certain point because of how badly scratched they were(cleaning them did not help), and I really didn't want to have to wait several days to get a refund or replacement copy, so in both cases I had go to Gamestop to get new copies of the games just so I could finish them. 

JustLikeHeaven1

GameStop Perspective

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » June 21st, 2013, 3:24 pm

I wouldn't say you were 'ripped off' by amazon since you didn't even try and get a replacement lol.  Amazon has some of the best customer service in the biz.  They are very hassle free and you could have had a replacement within a day or two*.  

I've probably purchased a few hundred games from amazon and I've never had an issue with faulty discs.  I've gotten the wrong item once or twice, but never anything damaged.  Sorry to hear you had a different experience though.  Next time I wouldn't hesitate to contact them...a quick email or two and you would have been good to go!

*This is if you bought it directly from amazon and not the amazon marketplace.  That makes a difference.

darkrage61

GameStop Perspective

Postby darkrage61 » June 21st, 2013, 3:41 pm

Ah, well I usually buy stuff from Amazon marketplace(though sometimes I do buy directly from Amazon, though that's usually movies and not games) it is a great place for getting PC games in good condition. 

From my experiences, third-party sellers can sometimes take quite awhile to respond to emails, if they respond at all.

Irenicus1

GameStop Perspective

Postby Irenicus1 » June 25th, 2013, 12:20 am

I think we should use Gamestop in our own best interests. Gamestop is a corporate business. It is not a friend. It is not a community owned business. I don't love it, but I use it. I'd prefer locally owned retailers, but that's really hard to find nowadays.

I like Gamestop, because I use it for what I want to.

I like the magazines. The subscription pays for itself after I buy a few games.

I only buy what I want. I collect games. I only buy games in original cases, with instruction manuals and the discs can't have scratches. Yes this excludes many possible purchases, but it works for me. I always ask to see the disc before I let the cashier take my money. I'm sure some employees get annoyed with me, but not one of them has ever verbalized it. Every employee has been very professional and courteous to me.

I'll never trade a game, buy a game in crappy condition, buy dlc or preorder, yet I'm still a valuable customer to Gamestop.

Another bonus is that you can return a used purchase in 7 days for a full refund. I don't do this often, but I have done it a few times.

Wallyworld1

GameStop Perspective

Postby Wallyworld1 » June 25th, 2013, 12:50 am

Why do people trade in games to game stop?  Is that instant gratification really worth it? Seems so much more logical to just sell your used games on eBay and get your fair value.

I do trade with my local retro game store. Only things I trade in are broken consoles and accessories not worth shipping on ebay. 

Gamestop makes a lot of their money on kids that don't have bank accounts to sell stuff on online.

If the entire RDM thing really took off would that put Gamestop out of business?

darkrage61

GameStop Perspective

Postby darkrage61 » June 25th, 2013, 1:07 am

I used the full refund once on Aliens Colonial Marines, (I didn't hate the game, it just didn't have a lot of replay value) but usually I prefer to trade in my games towards my next pre-order.

Weekend_Warrior1

GameStop Perspective

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » June 25th, 2013, 5:54 am

I'd recommend finding a good pawn shop before shopping at Gamestop. I have a few near me where I can always find great games for $10 or less. And with many of the big popular titles, I can usually get them for $30 or less after a couple months 

Return to “Video Games General”