Best and Worst Console Names

General and high profile video game topics.
pixelated1

Postby pixelated1 » July 4th, 2013, 11:51 am

I love the names Dreamcast and Super Nintendo Entertainment System. As for the latter, it's as great a console as the Nintendo Entertainment System but it's SUPER. And it really is. And the former, I think Dreamcast is a really cool, evocative name for a console, and second only to Genesis as Sega's best console name.

Totally agree with you on Xbox One, though. I wanted the next Xbox console to either be called Xbox 720 or Nexbox or something like that. One? Now I have to call Microsoft's fist console, which I always called the Xbox 1, the original Xbox. Sheesh.

(oh and..prepare to yell at me....I never liked the name Mega Drive. I always preferred Genesis. Mega Drive sounds silly.)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 4th, 2013, 12:28 pm

I agree that the name Super Nintendo didn't bother me at the time, but in retrospect it was kind of a cop-out.  It's the kind of mentality that led to names like Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

I remember the first time I heard the new Sega console was going to be called the Dreamcast, and my heart sank.  I hated that name.  Over the years obviously it has grown on me, but it's still lame.

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » July 4th, 2013, 2:16 pm

I actually DID hear rumors of the Super Duper Nintendo. Genesis was a cool name, but not the best. My favorite console name was definitely the Game Gear. It sounds amazing. It's the GEAR for playing GAMES. Short, simple, to the point! Now to ones I hate! Xbox was bland, I thought they were going to change the name, but they never did. I was like "Xbox? Sounds like it isn't even FINISHED!". I HATED Nintendo 64! It was clearly a stupid decision! Imagine if they stuck with that! The GCN would be called the Nintendo 128, or the Wii called......ermh.....Nintendo 128....uhm......2. The N1282. Thank goodness they changed It. I didn't mind Wii actually. It's easy to say. Yes, I hear the jokes.

Wanna swing my Wii around? It'll make sounds and vibrate!

Pacman0001

Postby Pacman0001 » July 4th, 2013, 3:18 pm

I can agree with most of the names on the best list; I'm not sure about the worst list. No Gamate? Supervision? Megaduck?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 4th, 2013, 4:36 pm

I did not include portables (unless you count Virtual Boy) and I didn't count obscure systems I don't own.  I was basically just having fun, which you can probably tell from the general tone.

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » July 4th, 2013, 6:14 pm

Thanks for the neat articles, Mr. Critic.

Funny thing about the Sega Genesis - remembering in the 80s it was the name of a hit pop rock band (just say the word, Su-su-sudio), and also a major plot point of the best Star Trek movie, Wrath of Khan " as supertech stuff. Quotes include "According to myth, the Earth was created in six days. Now, watch out! Here comes Genesis! We'll do it for you in six minutes!" "Khan... Khan, you've got Genesis, but you don't have me".  So 'Genesis' was in the American eye, but I think they really wanted the "Mega Drive" name in the US too but couldn't legally get it.

I think 2600 is truly iconic, but not a good name - its just a part number.  Video Computer System was a good name to distinguish it from the Pong games it originally was on the shelves with.  Odyssey is a good name, but not Odyssey Squared, or Odyssey Two, especially on the heels of Odyssey, Odyssey 100, 200, 300, 4000 and 5000.   Sheesh.   I think the NES was a good name - trying to brand it as not a video game, but an 'entertainment system' for the Atari-shocked masses of America.   Speaking of which, what do you think of "Famicom" for Family Computer?

For Dreamcast, in the 90s weren't 'Dreamcatchers' a big thing...maybe a connection.  For the Master System, its better than SG-1000 (Sega Game 1000?).  Odd in that its also called a Power Base, isn't it?  Would you have preferred the Sega Power Base?  The N64, a pretty dull name, was "Project Reality"...that is a cool development name.
For the Saturn, that was its development name, wasn't it?  There was a Jupiter and abandoned Neptune project, right? Do you think some consoles would have been better left named for the project instead of what the marketing department later came up with?

Return to “Video Games General”