The value of games

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

The value of games

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 19th, 2013, 6:53 pm

I was pondering why so many gamers were so vehemently against the Xbox One DRM scheme and don't seem to place much value in digital distribution games.

Classic console games are obviously highly prized (see Ebay) because they are very limited in supply and have historical value.  In addition, cartridges tend to have a very physical nature which is especially appealing to collectors.  

Modern console games are also very valuable.  Supply and demand isn't as big an issue, but the amount of content you get is amazing.  Let's take Call of Duty Black Ops for example.  Even if you don't like the game, you have to respect it's epic storyline, photorealistic graphics, and professional action.  The game is fully customizable and supports both on and off-line multiplayer action.  

Digital games don't have these qualities.  Their supply is unlimited and you can't usually sell or trade them.  They are a dime a dozen.

I think digital games have a place, but I don't see how they can compete with the traditional games.  Comments?

Rev1

The value of games

Postby Rev1 » July 19th, 2013, 8:13 pm

I have always liked the idea of fully utilizing my investment. When it comes to games, you get the disc/cartridge itself, the case, the manual (used to anyway) and you get the value of the whole item. I can understand the appeal of DRM as it is not only cheaper, but allows one to play a game without much hassle. Still, at least at this time, trading and sharing is much harder to do (if at all) on games that are downloaded then owning a physical copy. By owning the game and having something to show for my investment I feel much more fulfilled. I also like showing off my collection which you cant do otherwise.

Orion1

The value of games

Postby Orion1 » July 19th, 2013, 10:33 pm

I collect cartridges for about every system, so I understand the appeal of something physical.  However, digital games do have one thing that appeals to me: instant access.  You can downloaded them on the spot without having to get in your car, go to a store, look at some boxes, and then come home. 

By the way, as far as games being highly prized on Ebay.  That isn't so for many games.  It just depends on what game and which system.  GBA and PS1 game prices have fallen big time, while NES games are high priced right now.  Many single games don't sell at all on Ebay because they aren't worth the price of shipping.  Video Game Price Charts shows lots of interesting graphs showing the ups and downs of the used game market.

darkrage61

The value of games

Postby darkrage61 » July 19th, 2013, 11:09 pm

I prefer to own the game as well, but there are some good digital titles out there(Sonic 4 episodes 1 and 2 come to mind)

Edward1

The value of games

Postby Edward1 » July 20th, 2013, 11:22 am

I would like to say that the one exception for me is Gog.com.   Its a place that sells digital download PC games that are completely DRM free.  Essentially you download a .exe file for the game you want.  It is not against the rules to burn the .exe file to your own discs (Preserving them forever), and install them as many times as you want.  You can also redownload from GOG.com as many times as you want.  Because it is DRM free, even if GOG.com is ever shut down in the future, you can still have your game as long as you saved the .exe file.

Gog.com should be the model for digital distribution.   Its true people like to buy actual games in store so they can have a case and manual.  However, GOG focuses on games that wouldn't be in stores such as older PC games like the Ultima series or small indie games like Evoland that couldn't afford it.   Most of the games there sell for $5-15.   I know this entire post reads like a commercial, but they really are that good.  I suggest anyone who is against digital distribution to check them out.   Unfortunately, I doubt any digital distribution system like gog.com will ever make it to the consoles because the game  companies love DRM, so I completely understand your issues with digital distribution.

ActRaiser1

The value of games

Postby ActRaiser1 » July 21st, 2013, 10:44 pm

Yeah, having actual physical games is definitely a plus over digital games, especially those with nice manuals and cover art.  However, there are some games that wouldn't have made it on retail shelves to begin with, Shadow Complex fits the bill.  

Plus, for those games that are so old and outdated they'd be difficult to track down, GOG is awesome!

It was really easy for me to buy a few classic point and click adventure games that worked without any hassle on my PC.  Very Cool.

Return to “Video Games General”