Best Buy and @Gamer Magazine

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 29th, 2013, 5:48 pm

Reading the letters in the recent @Gamer magazine it was mentioned in passing that the printed version was going to stop and by replaced by the "digital edition" that will offer additional screen galleries, interviews, audio clips, yada yada yada...  

It'll just be another game site lost in the morass of the Internet.  I doubt I'll ever read it again.  A real magazine demands my attention, but on the net you compete with a million other sites of various quality.

It's a shame because this magazine (official game mag of Best Buy) was always jam-packed with reviews for both games and gadgets.  It also included a lot of coupons, although with Best Buy carrying less and less physical media they have become a lot less valuable.

Best Buy in general is going down the tubes.  Now it's just a glorified phone store.  Digital software may be the trend, but Best Buy didn't need to abandon it so quickly.  I mean, games are still going to be on disc for the next generation at least.  

Steve1

Postby Steve1 » August 29th, 2013, 6:02 pm

Another reason to hate Best Buy is their devotion of what little shelf space they have left for games for rows and rows of empty cases for pre-orders. Why not just have a card instead of an empty box? Such a waste of space.....

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » August 30th, 2013, 12:33 am

I haven't bought a game from Best Buy in ages, hell I can't even remember the last time I set foot in the store for anything.  Best Buy rarely has pre-order bonuses and if they do, they're usually as good as the ones at Gamestop, so that's where I always get my new games.

Irenicus1

Postby Irenicus1 » September 2nd, 2013, 11:12 pm

I never liked Best Buy as they were always over priced. Best Buy was actually Worst Buy. I did used to shop there though as they used to have an awesome selection. Sometimes they'd have a rare rpg or older game that other stores didn't carry. That was then back in the early 2000's. Now their selection is simply average. With an average selection and no sales I haven't bought anything from them in along time.

I remember when their magazine came out. It looked pretty cool, but I knew I wasn't going to shop much at Best Buy so I didn't get it. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.  

Return to “Video Games General”