Halloween Gaming

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Halloween Gaming

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 14th, 2013, 11:15 am

Halloween is fast approaching so this is the time of year when I start looking for scary games to play.
I have a few on tap:
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon (3DS)
Enemy Zero (Saturn)
Echo Night (Playstation)

I'd be curious to hear any recommendations you may have.

Also, I'm going to try to post an updated version of my Halloween special this week.

VGC

Rev1

Halloween Gaming

Postby Rev1 » September 14th, 2013, 12:17 pm

I was thinking of Aaahh! Real Monsters. It was a Nickelodeon cartoon in the early to mid 90's and was very popular. This game is a platform game where you control three disturbing monsters and each one has a different ability which you can use to progress through the game. This game is fairly fun although it is definitely overshadowed by other platformers of the generation. I'd recommend trying it for halloween, it is dirt cheap as well. I know the Genesis/SNES. 

darkrage61

Halloween Gaming

Postby darkrage61 » September 14th, 2013, 1:40 pm

How about Project:Altered Beast?  It's an import title for the PS2 and a 3-D re-imagining for Altered Beast. There's also Clock Tower 3 and Run Like Hell for the Playstation and Rule Of Rose for the PS2

I would also recommend trying out the 2008 Alone In The Dark game.

Silent Hill: Book Of Memories for the Vita looks pretty creepy.

Depending on how you like the films, you may also want to try out both of the SAW games.

Since you've played Obscure: The Aftermath, you definitely have to check out the first Obscure game.

velcrozombie1

Halloween Gaming

Postby velcrozombie1 » September 14th, 2013, 2:41 pm

I think you've played most of the console-based horror games that I'm
aware of. Have you considered Killer7? It's not explicitly a horror game,
but it goes out of it's way to create a demented, bizarre atmosphere
that can feel like a nightmare. Also, Your characters power up on blood,
and the enemies that you fight (the Heaven's Smile) have the most
unnerving laugh I've ever heard.

For a game with more overtly horror trappings, what about Bloodrayne: Betrayal?
It's a action/platforming game by Wayforward (who made Contra 4 for the DS, among other
things) with hand-drawn animation that plays like a 2d Devil May Cry crossed with 
Castlevania. It didn't get the greatest reviews, but a lot of the complaints were related
to the difficulty of the game. I think you can download for $10 for either PS3 or XBox360.

Also, I keep pushing Skullgirls, and this might be the right time to check it out
since most of the cast is pretty freaky:
A catgirl that can rip her limbs and  head off (which you can control separately)?
Girl in a Hannibal Lector mask who flies using a knife-bladed propeller attached to her spine?
An undead nurse-ninja who has surgery-themed special moves and uses a bodybag?
A serene-looking nun who transforms into a mass of liquid flesh?
A schoolgirl with a toothy, tentacled parasite that lives on the back of her head?
Also, it's an excellent fighting game that plays like Marvel Vs Capcom 2 meets Guilty Gear
and it costs $15 (PS3 and Xbox360).

Gentlegamer1

Halloween Gaming

Postby Gentlegamer1 » September 14th, 2013, 5:59 pm

Dave, you must play DARK SOULS!

darkrage61

Halloween Gaming

Postby darkrage61 » September 14th, 2013, 7:26 pm

Dave generally does not play RPGs that require a huge time investment like Dark Souls.

Gentlegamer1

Halloween Gaming

Postby Gentlegamer1 » September 14th, 2013, 9:10 pm

[QUOTE=darkrage6]Dave generally does not play RPGs that require a huge time investment like Dark Souls.[/QUOTE]It's not an RPG, it's an action game! In fact, the combat is analogous to a fighting game. That should be right up Dave's alley!

scotland171

Halloween Gaming

Postby scotland171 » September 14th, 2013, 11:25 pm

How about Nightmare before Christmas on GBA? May be a number of scary portable games still unreviewed.

darkrage61

Halloween Gaming

Postby darkrage61 » September 15th, 2013, 12:43 am

OK my bad, Dark Souls is an ACTION RPG, but i'm still not so sure it will be up Dave's alley as the difficulty might be too much of a turn off for him.

Gentlegamer1

Halloween Gaming

Postby Gentlegamer1 » September 15th, 2013, 3:49 am

[QUOTE=darkrage6]

OK my bad, Dark Souls is an ACTION RPG, but i'm still not so sure it will be up Dave's alley as the difficulty might be too much of a turn off for him.

[/QUOTE]

Dark Souls is not a difficult game.

May we suggest games that have levels/sections that are Halloween appropriate? If so, I suggest "We don't go to Ravenholme" from Half-Life 2 (The Orange Box).

Return to “Video Games General”