Screenshots representing each system

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 27th, 2013, 5:05 pm

In addition, somebody mentioned that my claims (Pros and Cons) that some systems have cheap games is badly outdated.  Please let me know which systems are affected.

Gentlegamer1

Postby Gentlegamer1 » September 27th, 2013, 5:23 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]In addition, somebody mentioned that my claims (Pros and Cons) that some systems have cheap games is badly outdated.  Please let me know which systems are affected.[/QUOTE]

That was me. A lot of resellers have jumped on classic games after wrecking comics and toys, and driven prices up.

Off the top of my head, SNES and TG-16 are way more expensive than when you wrote the system reviews. I'm sure other collectors can add more information for other systems.

You may also want to some casual searches on ebay for different systems to see the price levels most games, systems, and accessories are at presently. If you haven't in a while, be prepared to see almost no auctions, and everything BIN for expensive prices.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 27th, 2013, 6:14 pm

The Atari 2600 System review is the first to be revamped.  How does it look?

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » September 27th, 2013, 9:34 pm

I like the three pic layout for the 2600, but not Pitfall! Combat and Space Invades (first killer app) are solid choices but Pitfall is multiplatform. I think the games should be exclusives, and most Games that Defined lists are of exclusives aren't they? If they look totally different, like Bezerk on the 2600 versus the Vectrx that okay. How about Warlords? Or Custers Revenge?

For the Odyssey 2, how about UFO and Alien Invaders Plus with KC Munchkin...yeah Alien Invaders is pretty awful, but its still indicative of the library. For the Intellivision, gotta have baseball that was part of the Plimpton two pictures are worth a thousand words ad and also shows the focus on sports titles. Microsurgeon might be nice too.

For prices, would http://videogames.pricecharting.com/ help?

Gentlegamer1

Postby Gentlegamer1 » September 27th, 2013, 10:35 pm

I prefer the photo of the console itself to be of your own.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » September 27th, 2013, 11:51 pm

Dreamcast- Sonic Adventure 2

Gamecube- Super Mario Sunshine

Xbox 360-Grand Theft Auto IV or V

Also if you're planning on doing portable systems as well:

GBA-Sonic Advance series

DS-Contra 4

3DS-Super Mario 3D Land

PSP-Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » September 28th, 2013, 3:57 am

[QUOTE=Gentlegamer][QUOTE=videogamecritic]In addition, somebody mentioned that my claims (Pros and Cons) that some systems have cheap games is badly outdated.  Please let me know which systems are affected.[/QUOTE]

That was me. A lot of resellers have jumped on classic games after wrecking comics and toys, and driven prices up.

Off the top of my head, SNES and TG-16 are way more expensive than when you wrote the system reviews. I'm sure other collectors can add more information for other systems.

You may also want to some casual searches on ebay for different systems to see the price levels most games, systems, and accessories are at presently. If you haven't in a while, be prepared to see almost no auctions, and everything BIN for expensive prices.[/QUOTE]

His T-16 claims aren't too off despite the most rare games going into the several hundred dollar mark. I think most of the main games can be found for around $20-40 depending on the game. Then there are a large chunk of games currently floating around the $40-70 mark and then about 7-8 games floating around the $500+ mark. The most expensive US games are Bonk 3 ($550ish TCD version), Beyond Shadowgate ($400ish), Cotton ($700), Super Air Zonk ($700), Dynastic Hero ($900ish), Dungeon Explorer II ($350ish), and Magical Chase ($3000-5000).

As far as the SNES, you are looking at about $20-35 for most loose cart collectible games. Then it goes around $50-80 for the more rare collectible games, and it spikes into the $150-300 mark for the super rare collectible games.

Saturn is currently around $30-50 for complete US copies of most of the cheaper collectible games, although there are several mass produced games like VF2 that are under $15 complete. Then you get into the semi-rare collectible games and you are looking at anywhere from $75-150 for complete copies of those. The super rare games like Panzer Dragoon Saga are around $400 currently.

Ps1 has also had a spike in prices lately. Most mass produced games can be snagged around the $10 mark but then you get to the highly collectible games that can be anywhere from $30-80. The RPG's are by far the most expensive part of a PS1 collection going up to $200. Some other rare titles float around the $100-250 mark (Tron Bon is one I can think of off the top of my head which goes for about $225).

NES is fairly cheap still, so I wouldn't worry about updating that. Although a few games have recently gone upward of $50+.

SMS is also pretty darn cheap. I don't think too many people collect that. Some of the imports can run you into some money though.

Genesis has also maintained it's value somewhat. Some of the rare games have started to inch up in pricing. Last time I looked MUSHA was going for about $125.

Dreamcast has also gotten fairly expensive with quite a few of the rare US titles going for $50-150. Most titles can be found around the $15-30 mark though. The imports are surprisingly the most expensive thing about the console (usually) going anywhere from $50-200+.  

NGC has risen in price quite a bit lately. Many of the Nintendo titles/collectible titles have gone upward of $30 for complete copies, while the rare titles now sitting between $50-75.

PS2 is thankfully pretty cheap for the most part. Some of the RPG's have inched up in pricing and games like .hack// have gone through the roof. The 4th part of the RPG series is currently around $150.

Xbox is dirt cheap.... Enough said. Some games may be a bit more pricey but most are very reasonable.

Wii games have dropped down, which is common during the transition to a new generation. Good time to snag up copies. Although some games like Radiant Dawn are over $80.

That is what I can think of off the top of my head.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » September 28th, 2013, 10:28 pm

yeah!!!

Atari 2600 - Journey Escape
Odyssey2 - err
Intellivision - trick question?  Okay Tron
ColecoVision - Cross force
Commodore 64 - raid over moscow
Atari 5200 - gorf
NES - xevious
Master System - teddy boy
Atari 7800 - ball blazer
Atari XEGS - rescue on fractulous

Megadrive - splatter house 3
Neo Geo - ghost pilots
Super Nintendo - zombies ate my neighbours

Atari Jaguar - Doom, I war or Super burnout

Sega Saturn -Mighty hits
Sony PlayStation - Doom

Nintendo 64 - Doom 64
Dreamcast - Kiss Psycho circus
PlayStation 2 - Star Trek Elite force
Xbox - Doom 3
GameCube - Resident evil 4
Xbox 360 - Gears of War 3

Irenicus1

Postby Irenicus1 » September 29th, 2013, 11:01 pm

[QUOTE=Gentlegamer]

and baseball cards.

I've been thinking about that as well. What a shame. Wish they'd go back to collecting beanie babies. I sold Dungeon Explorer 2 on TG CD for about $100 back in 2003. Can't believe Rev says its at $350ish.
I knew it was a rare game and even expected it to stay steady at that price. Never thought it would be that high though.

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » September 30th, 2013, 12:09 am

Intellivision: Major League Baseball, Astrosmash, Burgertime

Return to “Video Games General”