State of the Site 2014

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

State of the Site 2014

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 11th, 2014, 12:29 pm

As the Video Game Critic rolls into 2014 I'd like to thank you all for supporting the site.

Obviously many of you are using my Ebay/Amazon links which helps a lot.  My following on Twitter/Facebook continues to grow steadily, so thanks for helping to spread the word.  

I really want to extend a heart-felt thank you to the moderators who sift through the messages each day and keep the board rolling.  It's a thankless job but they allow me to focus on the games.  What these boards lack in quantity they make up for in quality.  Thank you to everyone for remaining civil on the message boards, which keeps my blood pressure down.  

I want to give special thanks to Mark Jewell and Terry Herman who volunteer their time to help me keep the site looking modern and attractive.  Mark continues to pump out professional-looking banners and really clever icons that give the site its personality.

So what is in store for 2014?  Well my top priority is to set up and run my own message boards instead of paying some service to do it.  This has been an ongoing effort but I hope I can wrap it up in the next month or two.  One sticking point has been the migration of the current/old messages to the next system.  It's tough but there's a lot of good stuff there.  One the new boards are running it will open up some new possibilities, like tying reviews to message board feedback.

I also intend to tighten up the mobile version of the site.  I think it's adequate now, but could be a lot more attractive and user friendly.  My wife is buying a smart phone so I will actually be able to debug the mobile site myself.

In addition to the PS4 section, I plan to create an Xbox One section in the next few months.  I'm also planning on creating separate Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance sections.  My one request is that you guys will need to cut me some slack on the Game Boy reviews.  I really can afford to invest a great deal of time reviewing these old portable games, so expect these reviews to be more like "quick hitters".

Anyway I'm open for comments and suggestions.

VGC

txsizzler1

State of the Site 2014

Postby txsizzler1 » January 12th, 2014, 10:45 am

As far as your handheld game reviews go, is there a way you can also start reviewing the handheld consoles/systems as well, like you do regular consoles? I think this would be a great addition to what you already have in place for gaming consoles.

Also, maybe you could set up a Paypal link so we can donate to the website, perhaps have "members" become more actively involved with the direction of the website with donations?

Maybe you could also use one or two more RPG correspondents as well... this is a sorely lacking area in the game review department, that I am sure many of us would enjoy reading on.

Anyhow, I have no doubt this will be a banner year for this site! I have been a regular visitor to this site for over 10 years, and it gets better and better! Keep up the great work, Dave!

Ian (txsizzler)

Rev1

State of the Site 2014

Postby Rev1 » January 12th, 2014, 1:49 pm

Thanks for the update. I do like what txsizzler mentioned about the Paypal donations. That is actually a really good idea. You may not get a ton, but it could help offset some of the costs for the site.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

State of the Site 2014

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 13th, 2014, 4:36 pm

Thanks for the comments - I will take everything under consideration.

I'm not sure I feel comfortable accepting cash donations, but I'm thinking about putting my Amazon Wish List back up so people can buy me games to review.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

State of the Site 2014

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 13th, 2014, 5:20 pm

Here is the link for the VGC Wish List.  (which I also posted on the Latest News section of the front page).

The VGC loves to get free games, but please don't feel obligated.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

State of the Site 2014

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 13th, 2014, 8:43 pm

Also want to give a special shout-out to Mike "Gleebergoblin" who always alerts me to typos in my new reviews (which I immediately correct).

Rarely do I write a review without a typo.  He keeps the site looking half-way professional.  Thanks Mike.

Return to “Video Games General”