Originality/FMV Icons

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Originality/FMV Icons

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 20th, 2014, 6:55 pm

I'm always thinking about new icons to add to the site, and I think a new "award"-style icon for originality might be a good idea.  It might be named after an original game like Katamari Damacy; the "Katamari Award for Originality" or something like that.  Maybe you guys can come up with a better game to name it after.

Also, after reviewing Strahl I realized a FMV (full motion video) icon would be extremely useful.  But what would it look like?  That's a tough one.  Any ideas would be welcome.

Other categories I'd like idea for icon designs:
compilation icon
bad music icon
excellent manual icon 

Verm1

Originality/FMV Icons

Postby Verm1 » November 21st, 2014, 4:13 am

Regarding 'originality'.

Are we talking about 'quirky' games like Katamari Damacy or games that introduced then original ideas/features that became standard, like Doom set up the weapon progression used by FPS to this day?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Originality/FMV Icons

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 21st, 2014, 6:35 pm

Verm -
That's a good question I haven't considered!  I might need some help figuring out the best approach.

PSX1

Originality/FMV Icons

Postby PSX1 » November 23rd, 2014, 12:15 am

For the FMV icon, a Dragon's Lair reference might be the best bet.  The only other thing I can think of would be a VHS tape (i.e., for "video").

Regarding Verm's comment, it's a good point, and perhaps there should be an icon for both -- but I don't think they should be grouped together.  They are two completely different forms of originality:  Katamari Damacy is unique and Doom is innovative.

Retro gamers gravitate towards both forms of originality, but for completely different reasons.  We love Katamari Damacy because it is one-of-a-kind and (besides the sequels) you won't find anything else like it in the gaming world.  We love Doom because it was the most innovative (and best) game on the planet when it came out so there is the nostalgia of playing it again and/or the historical value of seeing the early days of FPS gaming.  But as far as uniqueness, Doom is not even remotely unique -- there was Wolfenstein before it and a bizzillion clones since.  So I think unique vs. innovative games should be treated differently in terms of the icon system, even though both might qualify for "originality".

Return to “Video Games General”