Entertainment Industry and Physical Media

General and high profile video game topics.
ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » February 13th, 2015, 2:37 pm

[QUOTE=Vexer]ZetaX- Sites like Steam, Gamersgate, Green Man Gaming and GOG are not subscription or cloud-based though, so they're not going anywhere anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

They could all go out of business.  You have no physical copy of your games.  You have one digital copy on whatever computer you currently use (I suppose they allow installations on multiple PCs?), but you have no physical copy.

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » February 13th, 2015, 3:38 pm

[QUOTE=ZetaX][QUOTE=Vexer]ZetaX- Sites like Steam, Gamersgate, Green Man Gaming and GOG are not subscription or cloud-based though, so they're not going anywhere anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

They could all go out of business.  You have no physical copy of your games.  You have one digital copy on whatever computer you currently use (I suppose they allow installations on multiple PCs?), but you have no physical copy.[/QUOTE]

The only two of those that I've used are Steam and GOG, but both of those sites allow you to physically back-up any games you purchase. GOG in particular is just a storefront. It has no DRM at all and all you have to do is burn the installation files to a CD or DVD. I've never backed up a Steam game so I don't know the procedure, but they do give you the option

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » February 13th, 2015, 3:42 pm

[QUOTE=ZetaX][QUOTE=Vexer]ZetaX- Sites like Steam, Gamersgate, Green Man Gaming and GOG are not subscription or cloud-based though, so they're not going anywhere anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

They could all go out of business.  You have no physical copy of your games.  You have one digital copy on whatever computer you currently use (I suppose they allow installations on multiple PCs?), but you have no physical copy.[/QUOTE]

That's not really true. With GOG, you can download as many digital copies as you want and burn 10,000 backups if it suits you. 

I personally prefer to get many of my PC and older console games in the dark corners of the internet. The policies there are just the same as GOG [wink].

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » February 13th, 2015, 5:24 pm

[QUOTE=ptdebate]
That's not really true. With GOG, you can download as many digital copies as you want and burn 10,000 backups if it suits you. 

I personally prefer to get many of my PC and older console games in the dark corners of the internet. The policies there are just the same as GOG [wink].[/QUOTE]

Okay, I stand corrected.  Sorry about that, didn't know they allowed that sort of thing.  Okay, well...that's not so bad then, I guess.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » February 13th, 2015, 7:03 pm

Precisely my point, you can back up the games you buy online easily, and yes you can install games you own on Steam on more then one PC(as long as you download the Steam client and authorize the computer, you can install your games on any computer)

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » February 13th, 2015, 7:23 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]

Even most CDs today are packaged in disposal cardboard instead of the plastic jewel cases, and five minutes out of the wrap they're already showing wear.

[/QUOTE]
You actually have this part backwards.  They come in cardboard sleeves because almost everyone ever born hates jewel cases and they decided to try to emulate the cardboard that records come in (i.e. the best thing ever).  I don't buy CDs now.  I buy records, as God intended.  To me, buying a CD instead of a record is like going DVD over cartridge.  Give me the big classy looking piece of art, with the always-in-style big black record inside over the tiny piece of plastic in a tiny breakable piece of plastic any day.    

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » February 14th, 2015, 12:18 am

[QUOTE=ptdebate][QUOTE=ZetaX]I personally prefer to get many of my PC and older console games in the dark corners of the internet. The policies there are just the same as GOG [wink].[/QUOTE]

I didn't get the gist of that sentence the first time around. Shame, shame... [wink]

[QUOTE=Vexer]you can install games you own on Steam on more then one PC(as long as you download the Steam client and authorize the computer, you can install your games on any computer)[/QUOTE]

That's not the same as free and unlimited backups/copies. Steam could shut down tomorrow or change their policies, and once again, a physical copy is superior.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » February 14th, 2015, 6:31 am

[QUOTE=ZetaX][QUOTE=ptdebate][QUOTE=ZetaX]I personally prefer to get many of my PC and older console games in the dark corners of the internet. The policies there are just the same as GOG [wink].[/QUOTE]

I didn't get the gist of that sentence the first time around. Shame, shame... [/QUOTE]

I should clarify that that's pretty much exclusively older pc games that are hard to find in disc form these days (the universal Mac version of Halo is out of print and like $100 on the resale market now!); I don't really play newer PC games anymore.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » February 14th, 2015, 12:31 pm

Indeed, Silent Hill 2 Directors Cut on PC is virtually impossible to find online, the only way I was able to play it was to download it from elsewhere.

Return to “Video Games General”