Boring Game Magazine Covers

General and high profile video game topics.
Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » March 25th, 2015, 4:13 am

Totalbiscuit said it best, "gross" is a term that should never be used in a review to describe a game(unless it's specifically trying to gross you out like say Evil Within) as it sounds childish and inaccurate, and it seems silly to criticize the plot in a Bayonetta game, I mean really what the hell were you expecting?  Nobody plays those games for a deep and meaningful story.

Grammar isn't what i'm taking issue with in the review, it's that the reviewer goes off on far too many tangents that don't really say much of anything about the game beyond ridiculous and petty complaints.

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » March 25th, 2015, 6:42 am

I have to agree with Vexer, that review was garbage. I mean, the writing was fine, but he didn't criticize the gameplay, praising it over and over and even saying the game could have been great, but slapped a 7.5 on it because he felt the need to jump on the social justice warrior "only games that are progressive are worth playing" bandwagon that everyone else has been on recently. It seriously made him seem like your average Tumbler activist. And why is it that these SJWs only talk about sexism in gaming? It is a serious issue, but why don't they talk about racism or homophobia in gaming? What about the almost complete lack of non stereotypical LGBT characters in games? Surely that's equally as important as oversexualization of female characters.

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » March 25th, 2015, 11:36 am

Back on topic...

Our Game Informer sub expired several months ago, but they did seem to have a lot of dark/gray/gritty-looking covers.  Once in a while, they'd throw Mario or some bright Japanese game a bone, but overall they were usually pretty dour looking covers.  A lot of times, there was minimal text on them, which seemed kind of weird.

I miss good, fun magazines.  Why can you find more magazines devoted to model railroading and knitting than video games?  I realize that's sort of a rhetorical question, people who do model railroading and/or knitting don't get their info from the internet (as much.)  Still, it seems like there should be room out there for a few video game magazines.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » March 25th, 2015, 1:00 pm

I disagree, I think Game Informer is still a fun magazine to read.  Most games sites like IGN just no longer see any point in putting out magazines and preferring to go all digital, that's just the way of the future.  Though even that's uncertain, as we've seen game sites like Joystiq get shut down by AOL.

Personally I don't like using the term SJW, as Totalbiscuit and Jim Sterling have said, narrowing people down by using meaningless rhetoric doesn't accomplish anything.  Gies is just a crap reviewer, has nothing to do with him being an "SJW" or whatever asinine term people on the internet have come up with.

Bluenote1

Postby Bluenote1 » March 25th, 2015, 2:07 pm

Just different times now.  Most games are realilistic (except for Nintendo), so the magazine covers reflect this.  Games in the 80s and 90s were all colourful, cartoony. 

I do miss the old mags, especially Gampro from 89-92.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » March 25th, 2015, 2:27 pm

Today it doesn't take much to get hired to write for a blog... No standards, uptight and hyper vigilant hipster babies get money someone else deserves to whine about fictional breasts and reproductive organs.

Gaming magazines suck nowadays. I'm not sure Game Informer even has an artist for their covers anymore. It's hardly collectible.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » March 25th, 2015, 3:09 pm

[QUOTE=HardcoreSadism]Why do game journalists even need to bring up sexism and racism? I've amassed a pretty big Game Informer collection and none of them whined to their mommies about vulgarity and boobs.

This really is a beaten generation.[/QUOTE]

Because games are full of both sexism and racism?

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 25th, 2015, 3:56 pm

Most of the time, Men are depicted as athletes while women are hot as hell. Haven't decided whether I was fine with that
or if I just didn't care. Mix of both, probably. As for racism, I just don't see it, aside from a few isolated examples. And even then...
I certainly do not think games are full of racism, I just don't.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » March 25th, 2015, 4:03 pm

There's sexism... In videogames, then there are people who get emotional over polygons.

There's racism, then there are people who pull the race card to get what they want or out of a situation.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 25th, 2015, 5:46 pm

I tend to agree with Hardcore. And I wish "social justice warriors" left our hobby alone.

Return to “Video Games General”