Boring Game Magazine Covers

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 23rd, 2015, 11:24 pm

I was looking at the latest Game Informer magazine and it occurred to me that this magazine has some really boring covers.  This week it's basically a hood ornament in a Mad Max game.  Some have been artistic (like last month's Tomb Raider with the bear) but in general these covers are really plain.  Some don't even mention the title of the game.

I suspect this is an attempt to cater to a more mature market, but it kind of reflects how boring the industry has become.  In the 90's these magazines (EGM, GamePro) were plastered with new game art, and it was pretty exciting.  There were so many things on those covers that grabbed your attention.  Of course, the inside of the magazines were a lot more interesting as well.  Some of those magazines were upwards of 300 pages with dozens of reviews.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » March 23rd, 2015, 11:31 pm

I disagree that the market is "boring", I think it's more exciting then ever, though i'll admit Game Informers new covers have been a mixed bag, I don't think their new format looks that good, though Game Informer still has plenty of reviews.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » March 23rd, 2015, 11:41 pm

Yeah, I really miss old game magazines myself. They're few and far between these days as all of the print industry is crumbling. On the upside, gaming websites are really good these days! Polygon.com is a go-to for me. 

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » March 24th, 2015, 1:20 am

I personally can't stand Polygon, as a lot of their reviews are downright cringe worthy(their negative review on Bayonetta 2 is particularly painful to read) and too many of their articles feel like click bait(how many articles do we need on how "Hatred" the game is disturbing?)

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » March 24th, 2015, 12:20 pm

[QUOTE=Vexer]I personally can't stand Polygon, as a lot of their reviews are downright cringe worthy(their negative review on Bayonetta 2 is particularly painful to read) and too many of their articles feel like click bait(how many articles do we need on how "Hatred" the game is disturbing?)[/QUOTE]

Why is the Polygon Bayonetta 2 review "painful to read"? Because you passionately disagree with the author's sentiments? Perhaps you just had a stomach ache at the time? I'm trying to think of the last time reading caused me physical pain and I'm drawing a blank.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » March 24th, 2015, 4:15 pm

Yea they've been lame for years. I remember the mid 90s reading reviews for the 3do and Jaguar, being like, wow, these systems look so cool. Oh, the times before the PS1 changed the video game landscape.

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » March 24th, 2015, 7:32 pm

I let mine expire. Ps4 & Xbone haven't yet got my $. GameStop hasn't had any sweet deals since PSP Fire sale. Don't suspect any great deals soon. The worst part of gamein former is they often don't even tell you if the game is retail or digital. I would hope they would be biased towards physical games since that where their future depends on, but those knuckleheads almost spend more time praising downloads.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » March 24th, 2015, 8:46 pm

[QUOTE=Tron]I let mine expire. Ps4 & Xbone haven't yet got my $. GameStop hasn't had any sweet deals since PSP Fire sale. Don't suspect any great deals soon. The worst part of gamein former is they often don't even tell you if the game is retail or digital. I would hope they would be biased towards physical games since that where their future depends on, but those knuckleheads almost spend more time praising downloads.[/QUOTE]

I'm not the biggest fan of that store, but Gamestop has great deals all the time. Right now, you can trade in an Xbox 360 or PS3 towards a PS4 and get $175 in store credit! That's insane!

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » March 24th, 2015, 8:56 pm

ptdebate-"Painful to read" is obviously just an expression.  The reviewer whines way too much about "over-sexualization" and other nonsense like that but hardly seems to talk much about actual gameplay.  Polygon's reviews aren't always bad to be far, but the guy who wrote the review- Arthur Gies has some of the absolute game reviews i've ever seen, seriously they sound like they were written by a first-grader.

Tron-Game Informer are not "knuckleheads" just cause of that, that's utter nonsense, like it or not digital is becoming more prevalent and it's not like it's that difficult to just Google a game to see whether it's physical or digitial

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » March 24th, 2015, 10:33 pm

[QUOTE=Vexer]

ptdebate-"Painful to read" is obviously just an expression.  The reviewer whines way too much about "over-sexualization" and other nonsense like that but hardly seems to talk much about actual gameplay.  Polygon's reviews aren't always bad to be far, but the guy who wrote the review- Arthur Gies has some of the absolute game reviews i've ever seen, seriously they sound like they were written by a first-grader.

Tron-Game Informer are not "knuckleheads" just cause of that, that's utter nonsense, like it or not digital is becoming more prevalent and it's not like it's that difficult to just Google a game to see whether it's physical or digitial

[/QUOTE]

I just re-read the review and found it very insightful and competently written. You must have found spelling or grammar mistakes that I seem to have missed if you liken it to a 1st-grader's writing.

Bayonetta 2 may be a solid action game, but it's a good point that the camera's behavior is astronomically gross and the plot and characters very juvenile.

Return to “Video Games General”