Is the Vita a good buy?

General and high profile video game topics.
a1

Is the Vita a good buy?

Postby a1 » February 14th, 2015, 5:37 pm

I'm in the mood for something new. I was considering trading in my 3ds to upgrade toward a new 3ds but realized since I'd be paying $100 after the trade in I could probably find a PS Vita on craigslist for the same price. Now I'm trying to decide if I really want one even at that price.

I don't have a PS4 now so remote play doesn't matter to me right now, but it will be a nice perk eventually. I have a few PS3 games that are crossbuy so I like that I'll have them available on a portable. I'll also have a few PSP games to download (still have my PSP but I don't take it out Mich) But as far as exclusives I basically only see about 10 games I'm interested in (the ones the critic reviewed and tearaway). I don't like JRPGs and I don't import. Also those memory cards are stupid expensive.

So is it worth $100? If you own it what's your opinion on it?

Atarifever1

Is the Vita a good buy?

Postby Atarifever1 » February 14th, 2015, 6:32 pm

I don't own one, but have you considered a PS TV?  It plays Vita games, the same download stuff Vita has, streams stuff to your TV, and the one that comes with a controller is now only $99.  You could always just get that.  If the place you trade your 3DS gives a good price, it'd pretty much be free.  

Here's a good thread showing upcoming Vita download titles:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969122

jblanch31

Is the Vita a good buy?

Postby jblanch31 » February 14th, 2015, 6:48 pm

If it's for a hundred dollars, I'd have to give a yes, but with some reservations.  You'll have access to some apps that you can't on 3DS (such as Facebook and Spotify).  However, Youtube is about to be deactivated.  The Vita game library may appear very weak at first glance (you can thank Sony for not supporting the system), but if you're into indies and some niche games, then the library starts to open up quite a bit more.  If you are a Playstation Plus member, that's even better, as you'll get around two free games a month.  In addition to that, if you're into classic games, there are a lot of PS1 games on the Playstation Store that you can download to your Vita and play on the go.  I have seen the memory cards at clearance prices in some places, so you might be able to get a good deal.  

I've owned the Vita since launch and that might sound like I'm in love with the system, and I am, it's a great system.  But I am beyond pissed at how Sony has treated it.  In case you don't know, Sony announced months ago that they would be no further first-party games for the system, effectively signing its death warrant.  So whatever support Vita will be getting from here on out is dependent on the indie sector.  Also, I've noticed that a lot of indie games on the Vita can be had for quite a bit cheaper (in some cases, even free) on any smartphone or tablet with Google Play.  

So, I don't know.  Whether you want it depends on whether you enjoy playing indies and classic PS1 games, on the go.  I do.  But I'm pissed that I paid full price for it, as Sony did not bring the support that the Vita needed to thrive.  A lot of people will blame smartphones and tablets, and to an extent, I agree.  But Nintendo seems to be doing okay, Sony just didn't seem to put in much of an effort.  So if you're looking to buy a Vita to play a lot of AAA games, you'll be disappointed.   

Vexer1

Is the Vita a good buy?

Postby Vexer1 » February 14th, 2015, 6:59 pm

Sony really said that?  Oh boy am I pissed right now, that's just lazy of them.

Oltobaz1

Is the Vita a good buy?

Postby Oltobaz1 » February 14th, 2015, 7:38 pm

I wasn't aware of this stance, a bit of a letdown, yes. The way I see it though, there are some great games
available from most of the major parties, system is fine, from a gamer' standpoint.

ptdebate1

Is the Vita a good buy?

Postby ptdebate1 » February 14th, 2015, 9:17 pm

I only recommend the Vita and PSTV to one type of person: those who love the bajeezus out of JRPGs. Since I fit that description, I love the heck out of the system. All the buzz about lack of support totally

ptdebate1

Is the Vita a good buy?

Postby ptdebate1 » February 14th, 2015, 9:18 pm

...fades away every time I realize that I have ALL the Persona games and every Final Fantasy up to X-2 on one little handheld. Weeb heaven, my friends.

JWK1

Is the Vita a good buy?

Postby JWK1 » February 15th, 2015, 12:48 am

It's a difficult question to answer for sure.  You said there are about 10 games that appeal to you and that sounds like a buy to me.  10 games I want is usually my breaking point; I'll give in and buy it.  Your standards may be a little higher than that.  If so, look a little deeper into the library.  Are you sure that you couldn't get into JRPGs/ niche Japanese games?  The system already has some great ones with Ys: Memories of Celceta, Demon Gaze, Conception II, Soul Sacrifice and Tales of Hearts R.  It also has remakes aplenty, but that means something if you're a fan of the genre.  The Vita has the definitive versions of Final Fantasy X/X-2, Disgaea 3 & 4, Hyper Dimension Neptunia 1 - 3 (the Re;Birth remakes), the modern Atelier games and Persona 4. Most of the new games coming to the system will be JRPGs as well; a new Ys game, a new Senran Kagura game, etc.  Do you like adventure games?  If you like point and click adventure games, Japanese culture/humor, incredible story telling or just things that are awesome, Danganronpa 1 & 2 are absolute must plays.  Besides Persona 4: Golden, they're the two best games on the system and a reason to buy a Vita in and of themselves, but again... you gotta be into that kinda thing.  

Jblach3 is correct on Sony's stance on first party support for the Vita-- as in there won't be any.  Consider the AAA stuff like Tearaway, Killzone Mercenaries and Uncharted Golden Abyss the extent of Sony's support for their own machine.  I also agree if those are the ONLY reason you are buying the system, you'd need to be REALLY happy with those 10 games you're interested in.  Are you interested in replaying PS1 titles on the go?  Or in my case, for the first time?  Sure, many early polygon-based 3D games haven't aged well, but there are dozens of legitimate classics worth playing.  The Vita breaths new life into them and you can manipulate screen size and even resolution.  My opinion is, it's the BEST way to play PS1 games, even over playing a disc-based copy on a large SD screen.  Seriously, it's that good.  And the Vita's screen make the old 2D sprites of games like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Megaman X4 and Strider 2 really shine.  You already mentioned the PSP, so almost that system's entire library is there too.  Games like Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker are best played on the Vita since you can change the controls and use the second analogue stick.  Are you interested in indie games?  Indie developers have been very vocal about the potential to make money on the Vita, since all Vita owners are pretty hardcore gamers and buy a LOT of games.  Minecraft, Terreria, Guacamelee, Velocity 2X, Hotline Miami, Limbo, Don't Starve, Spelunky, Thomas Was Alone, etc. are already there.  I'm about 25 hours deep into Rogue Legacy and still not done.  There are a LOT more to come in 2015, too.  Games like Bastion, Banner Saga and Shovel Knight will make it to Sony consoles for the first time, including the Vita.  Also, Sony seems to have come to an agreement with Tim Schaffer/Double Fine/Lucas Arts on some Adventure games like the modern Broken Age and classics like Grim Fandango and Day of the Tenticle.  Those last two are games I've heard about for years but a console-only gamer like myself has never been able to experience them until now.  (Note: Grim Fandango is already out). I don't mind that it's become a glorified "legacy" console for me.  If I've never played an indie game or a PS1 game or a PSP game or a retail re-release of a collection of PS2 games, those are *new* to me.  Having so much classic material in one place and on the go is really important, as I'd rather play most of this stuff on a portable system anyway.  If the convenience of a portable isn't important to you, consider the PS TV which is half the price.  If none of this appeals to you, you might want to reconsider.

I'm completely aware that the 3DS has a better exclusive library.  Nintendo and third parties are still making AAA games for it.  But there's just something about the Vita.  It's screen, d-pad, analogue sticks, resolution and sleep mode make it miles better than anything that came before it on a technical level.  I love the 3DS and I own a ton of games for it, but it's been collecting dust since I bought the Vita a year and 1/2 ago.  That's my $0.02.

a1

Is the Vita a good buy?

Postby a1 » February 15th, 2015, 11:13 am

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I do like adventure games so I would definitely consider those when buying it. Thanks for the tip. I guess it's not that I don't like JRPGs so much as I don't like investing 50+ hours into a game anymore. I only have so much time for games.

Everyone always mentions the indie games for vita but I don't really see many I can't get on Wii U, 3DS or my phone. Although if my phone was the only other option I would prefer a Vita version. So there would be a few I'd probably go for. As far as PS One and PSP games that is a plus, but like I said, I do still have a PSP so the Vita would just serve as a slightly better way to play those games.

I love how on the Wii U I can play a game on the gamepad while my wife watches TV, so when I have a PS4 remote play will be a big perk. Maybe I should hold off until I have a PS4? Does remote play work well? Does it use local wireless or does it have to use WiFi?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Is the Vita a good buy?

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 15th, 2015, 12:36 pm

I agree that the game selection is really sparse.  There aren't many releases and you're right - you can get most of the games on other platforms.  The system really could use some exclusives.

Return to “Video Games General”