Rumor That MS is Dropping XB1's DRM Today (Update - CONFIRMED)

General and high profile video game topics.
michaeld1

Postby michaeld1 » June 19th, 2013, 4:48 pm

Sounds good if it actually happens, but even if it does, many people (including many who post here) will still jump through hoops to make it a negative against Microsoft.

kew9820001

Postby kew9820001 » June 19th, 2013, 5:05 pm

I can honestly see Microsoft dropping all the restrictions just to sell consoles and then re-establishing them after a year or so if it sells good. Sorry, Microsoft. Just by even trying this stunt in the first place you have lost all credibility for me. I'm going with the PS4.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » June 19th, 2013, 5:10 pm

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » June 19th, 2013, 5:28 pm

This is great news.  However I don't trust Microsoft.  Until the system is released and people can try it hands on, there is no guarantee they wont try some other DRM.  It says you still have to activate it the first time you turn it on.   Whats the point of this?   This will annoy parents who buy the system for their kids, who don't want them online.  Also, what about households without internet?  Also will this activation be absolutely completely permanent?  Meaning will the system still be playable in 20 years long after Microsoft ends support the system?  I still need answers before I put my money down.  I simply don't like the ideas of game consoels coming with expiration dates, and I hope Microsoft truly is done with the nonsense.

Strangely, they should have got the memo that always on DRM will cost them sales when this year's edition of SimCity with always on DRM slid all the way down to be being 710th best selling on Amazon, which is actually well below the ten year old SimCity 4 which is currently the 279# best selling game. 
http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Arts-41018ted-Edition2-SimCity/dp/B007VTVRFA/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1371677257&sr=1-1&keywords=Sim+City

I expect many people to get fired at Microsoft over this.   They had to know this wouldn't work.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 19th, 2013, 5:39 pm

I have to admit I'm shocked.  I really thought they were going to go through with it, and I was actually looking forward to seeing them crash and burn, because it would have been spectacular.

I think it does bode well for consumers however.  Once again we have kept the dreaded DRM beast at bay!  

That said, I'm still pissed off at Microsoft for attempting to foist the garbage on us to begin with.  I'll be getting a PS4.  I have no plans to get an Xbox One.

Microsoft may be turning things around (slowly), but they've generated a ton of ill-will toward gamers.  I suspect it will take years to recover.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 19th, 2013, 6:17 pm

This IGN article on Microsoft's lack of integrity echo my sentiments nicely.

Glitchologteam1

Postby Glitchologteam1 » June 19th, 2013, 6:18 pm

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/19/xbox-one-80-microsoft-reverses-xbox-one-drm-features/

T
his link also seems to confirm that they are going reverse on the decision.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » June 19th, 2013, 6:21 pm

This has to do with that "big brother" themed bill doesn't it? I have the most irking hunch....

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » June 19th, 2013, 6:21 pm

I'm incredibly happy about this.  Seriously, you have no idea.  And it's not just because this makes the XBox One infinitely more attractive to me as a consumer (which it does; not sure who I'm gonna go with now!), but because our outrage has quite literally saved the video game industry.  If Microsoft got their way, home consoles would have been little more than glorified iOS gaming.

Return to “Video Games General”