Rumor That MS is Dropping XB1's DRM Today (Update - CONFIRMED)

General and high profile video game topics.
darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » June 19th, 2013, 6:51 pm

This is great news!  I had a feeling all the negative publicity would get them to change they're minds sooner or later.  I don't really care about what IGN says, I mean let's face it, we always knew Microsoft was never the most ethical company(remember all those anti-trust lawsuits they got hit with in the early 2000s?), as long as the games are good, that's all that really matters to me.  I will admit while I was willing to put with the DRM and that other stuff, part of me was a bit worried about it, so ultimately i'm glad it's resolved. 

Sony dosen't exactly have a good history of integrity either, after the PSN debacle, I would never feel safe trusting any of my personal info with them, so for the time being no PS4 for me. They only got hacked because they tried to go after that one guy who showed how to mod/hack a PS3 and threatened him with legal action, that pissed off the hackers and while they are to blame obviously, Sony has no excuse for having such flimsy security measures and putting thousands of people at risk for data theft due to their negligence.  I have no such worries about Live ever getting hacked. 

Also we're now hearing about PS3 updates that can brick your system, guess I won't getting one of those anytime soon either. 

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » June 19th, 2013, 6:55 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]This IGN article on Microsoft's lack of integrity echo my sentiments nicely.[/QUOTE]

I am very happy to see Microsoft drop this, as I absolutely hated it and what it meant to my favorite hobby industry.

However, I don't really agree with that article.  Microsoft, Sony -- both companies looking for profits and both trying to find ways of making more profits at the expense of the consumer.  They aren't much different in that respect.  Atarifever reminded us only a few days ago that part of the reason Sony released at such an expensive price-point and made their console (at least initially) very unpopular, losing a sure-fire lead, was their own arrogance in using the console to piggyback the Bluray format at a time when they were competing directly with HD-DVD.

MS made the wrong decision here because they thought consumers would be stuck with it, and now has made the right one due to realizing they have an alternative.  I see no reason to think Sony is any different in that regard.  The only thing that makes them different right now, at this point and time, is that Sony either had the good sense not to do what everyone was expecting them to do because of some market and field research, or they did it for other reasons (including simply not having time to make an effect disc-DRM system in time to make a competitive release).

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » June 19th, 2013, 6:57 pm

[QUOTE=JWK]I'm incredibly happy about this.  Seriously, you have no idea.  And it's not just because this makes the XBox One infinitely more attractive to me as a consumer (which it does; not sure who I'm gonna go with now!), but because our outrage has quite literally saved the video game industry.  If Microsoft got their way, home consoles would have been little more than glorified iOS gaming.[/QUOTE]

Honestly I feel better about the industry as a whole.  For the last several years I've felt this impending DRM stuff hanging over my head, as well as a complete switchover to digital.  This was very much a message against the intrusive DRM, but it was also something of a message against going entirely to a digital model.  At least, I choose to interpret it that way.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » June 19th, 2013, 7:03 pm

Damn, I was really hoping to see the Xbox One fail, and fail badly. If Sony would have given out the same policy as Microsoft there would have been no way this announcement would have been made. Still, this was a huge win for gamer's rights and it happened even before the console came out. The next generation is looking a lot better now.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » June 19th, 2013, 7:09 pm

This article claims the One is actually sounding worse and it places the blame on gamers:

http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-just-got-way-worse-and-its-our-fault-514411905

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » June 19th, 2013, 7:40 pm

[QUOTE=darkrage6]

This article claims the One is actually sounding worse and it places the blame on gamers:

[/QUOTE]

Yeah that guy is pretty much FOS.  What he's saying here is "You guys should have liked the DRM because of game sharing and a golden age of gaming".  Game sharing sounded ok, but not if it meant all the things that stupid DRM required.

And when he suggests that new game prices will go down because of used games revenue, I think he's assuming that these companies are going to pass savings onto us -- something I just don't see happening in an industry that is scrounging to maximize their profits as it is. I also really don't get his argument that used games will sell better AFTER they no longer have a license attached. How will a used game gain maximal profits when publishers require a payment to activate it?

Pretty lame arguments altogether, frankly... arguments that were lost with his target audience at least a week ago.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 19th, 2013, 7:49 pm

I need to backtrack a little... I'm sure I WILL be getting an Xbox One at some point in time.  I'm the VGC for Pete's sake!

However, my allegiance lies with the PS4.  That's the system I'll be getting this holiday.  The Xbox One will need to prove itself first.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » June 19th, 2013, 7:58 pm

What a mess of a console. I am not even sure what it does and does not do anymore. It sounds like you need the disc in tray to play now - so are they going to downgrade the huge hard drive? Whats the point of that now? Can you transfer LIVE games? Does it still use the 'power of the cloud'? Was it ever going to? Have pre-orders died off?

This is like the unfinished Death Star - don't fool yourself - it could become 'fully operational' at any time.....

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » June 19th, 2013, 8:56 pm

[QUOTE=darkrage6]

[/QUOTE]

Actually gamers are smarter than the guy who wrote this.  After all, gamers have to buy games with their hard earned money.  He compares the Xbox one to to steam.  I don't want to defend steam, because I prefer DRM free download services such as GOG.  Also. true steam did not have the best of sales when it was first released.  However, within a couple of years, they were having killer deals.  Microsoft has been selling games online for years now, and mostly everything is terribly overpriced.  For example, I just bought Halo 4 today from newegg.com for $13.    How many years would I have to wait to get that price on the digital version?  I know I saw a sale on Halo 4 on xbox live for 40 bucks recently, so I won't hold my breath.  Make no mistake, if Xbox one was all digital, it would not magically turn into steam as the guy who wrote this article implied.  Microsoft is far too greedy to let that happen.

Essentially  that terrible DRM gamers helped defeat was a raw deal for everyone except Microsoft and certain publishers.  He seems to not get it either.  He states "That is not how DRM, by and large, works today. There is very little risk of any particular format dying off."   Really?  I have watched multiple forms of DRM make files unreadable in my lifetime.  Does this guy think that if gamers didn't force Microsoft's hand, the Xbox one would still work 20 years from now?  Not a chance in hell.  I know there are many gamers here who have systems that are decades old hooked up.  Im one of them.  Regardless of what this guy said, today was a huge victory for all gamers.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 19th, 2013, 9:27 pm

That Kyle guy is F.O.S.  If he thinks DRM would drive down the price of games he's living in a dream world.  If the past if any indication, they would be more willing to RAISE the price, citing the added cost is for CONVENIENCE.  As if it's costing them anything at all to transmit the game over the Internet.

Also, I'm getting a little tired of the Steam argument.  I have a few of my friends who love Steam, but guess what?  They only buy games when those rock-bottom sales occur - and they are usually old titles.  This is not indicative of what happens with consoles.  Sure a lot of people are willing to wait for price drops, but most games are sold in the first few weeks of release.

I am not worried about Microsoft "reactivating" the online restrictions at some point in the future.  That's not going to happen.

To address the whole cloud computing angle: this was bogus to begin with.  It was just another carrot to convince people that on-line was the way to go.  You'll note that whenever Microsoft reps were asked about this, they said they envisioned that being implemented years from now.  In other words, they didn't really have a clue.

Finally, I'm expecting this next generation to last up to 10 years.  That's 10 years of DRM-free gaming to look forward to!

Return to “Video Games General”