Rumor That MS is Dropping XB1's DRM Today (Update - CONFIRMED)

General and high profile video game topics.
a1

Postby a1 » June 19th, 2013, 10:25 pm

Well, I for one am nothing but happy about this. I was never rooting against Microsoft, just the policies. Microsoft is no more evil than Sony, they just made a bad business decision that I hated and fortunately so did lots of other people. I'll still be getting a PS4 first since it's $400 and I'll probably have to wait a year or longer for the Xbox One to drop to that price. Still, good to know that those awful drm and always online ideas were killed before they ever had a chance. The next generation still appears safe. And since Nintendo is always a generation behind, I imagine at least their console will be safe the generation after.

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » June 20th, 2013, 12:44 am

I have to give MS a lot of credit for man'n up and admitting they F'd up. I really thought they were going to take this disaster all the way.  Kudos to MS management for having the kajones to swallow their pride.

It's a little bit to late for me as I have already pre-ordered my PS4 but I'm sure millions of people will now be swayed to buy an Xbox One that otherwise wouldn't have. I will still buy one but probably not until after the new Halo comes out.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » June 20th, 2013, 1:43 am

The online setup requirement is a bit of a downer but it's something I can deal.

I'm glad that the Xbox One is again a viable choice. I'll be planning to acquire one in the future for exclusives since I think Sony's decision should be rewarded by having that be my multiplatform choice going forward instead of the Xbox and then Xbox 360 that were my primary platforms of the previous two generations. 

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » June 20th, 2013, 4:07 am

Most Xbox One games will probably use the cloud anyway which will probably make the console just like any other near always connected device out there (practically everything else).

The cloud is still going ahead and here is an article detailing an example, in amongst a load of waffle: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-19-microsoft-makes-the-case-for-xbox-ones-300-000-server-cloud-but-what-do-developers-think

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » June 20th, 2013, 4:10 am

If we assume one account per console and I've got the numbers correct, something like 60% of Xbox360 users have Xbox Live accounts, a massive jump over previous gen. I see no reason that figure won't increase further this upcoming gen.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » June 20th, 2013, 5:10 am

Sounds like the online setup requirement is just for early purchases in order to change this feature for systems already in production with a day 1 firmware update.

So a year from now, someone should be able to buy an Xbox One at their local retailer and not even have to go through even that little bit of online hassle.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » June 20th, 2013, 9:05 am

An analogy - Your wife's cheated on you with another man, realised she's made a mistake and asked to come back to you and for everything to be the same as it was. The question is can you trust her (Microsoft) again ? Or if they get the chance will they just do the dirty on you again ?

I'm still going PS4 but now I'm not ruling out owning an XBone in the future but Microsoft need to earn my trust back.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » June 20th, 2013, 9:35 am

This clearly has to be seen as a GREAT thing.  Microsoft lost at of credibility...basically any goodwill they garnered in their time since the launched the original Xbox.  Gamers are a fickle and easily pissed off bunch, they aren't likely to forget this.

Also, while I think it's great that all three systems on the market will continue to function like the current gen, I will move forward with trepidation.  You have to know that Microsoft (and probably Sony too) are looking for ways to get consumers comfortable with download only, DRM gaming.  As mentioned in the CliffyB thread, expect to have exclusive content locked out of disc only releases to entice players to download the game.  Things like this will become very common and I expect some of it to be pretty annoying.  We're not out of the clear...not by a long shot.  

This generation of consoles (minus the Wii U) feels like being bent over and getting astro-glide slathered all over ya bum.  Sony and Microsoft are just finding a way to ease the pain before they finally F us in the A.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » June 20th, 2013, 1:28 pm

It depends on what the exclusive DLC is, if it's stuff like say maps for multiplayer or exclusive weapons/outfits then I really couldn't care less.  If it's new levels, then I might go with the download.  Of course it could very well go the other way around, Gamestop may pressure MS into giving the disc versions exclusive DLC as well, so that could be interesting.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » June 20th, 2013, 2:24 pm

True...it's going to be interested to see what sort of stuff is rolled out there.  I suspect we won't see much of it in year one.  Both companies will be very weary of being seen as the 'bad guy'.  I'm not sure if Gamespot is in much of position to blackball Microsoft or Sony, but who knows.  It's gonna be interesting to see it unfold, that's for sure.

Return to “Video Games General”