Pirating Games = Awesome

General and high profile video game topics.
Atarifever1

Pirating Games = Awesome

Postby Atarifever1 » February 20th, 2014, 9:30 pm

Yarrr! I like to use the word pirate to describe meself sitting in me bloomers clicking buttons while I trawls the wild data sea for stolen data. Yarrrr, makes me feel like a right scurvey dog.

If we're taking this topic seriously, I don't get the fascination with pirates. It's never done anything for me, and I think the whole set of tropes is painfully boring. I can't think of a pirate game or movie I've liked. Wait. Peter Pan's alright I guess. But that's kind of anti-pirate.

m0zart1

Pirating Games = Awesome

Postby m0zart1 » February 20th, 2014, 10:02 pm

I thought you liked "Wind Waker" Atarifever...

Piracy was essentially a political tool back in the day.  They gave various European monarchies the ability to pillage their neighbors (for goods and people) and disclaim direct credit for it.  I would like to see some kind of pirate game or movie that centered on that aspect of it instead of the fairy tale version.

Ozzybear1

Pirating Games = Awesome

Postby Ozzybear1 » February 21st, 2014, 1:19 am

Pirates Legend of the Black Kat will always be one of my favs !!!

Atarifever1

Pirating Games = Awesome

Postby Atarifever1 » February 21st, 2014, 5:31 am

[QUOTE=m0zart]I thought you liked "Wind Waker" Atarifever....[/QUOTE]
Yarrr. That one slipped me mind. I also likes Animal Crossing, and cap'n be kind of a pirate.

kew9820001

Pirating Games = Awesome

Postby kew9820001 » February 21st, 2014, 2:10 pm

I'm surprised Donkey Kong Country 2 hasn't been mentioned yet.

scotland171

Pirating Games = Awesome

Postby scotland171 » February 21st, 2014, 8:31 pm

Frankie Drake was such a pirate for Elizabeth. Meanwhile there are privateers, who carry a letter of marque from one nation to prey on the commercial shipping of others that nation is at war with. Pirates, in contrast, were at war with all flags. The US Civil War, for instance, had some famous Confederate privateers. Alas, the line often blurred. Captain Kidd claimed to be a privateer, but was hanged as a pirate.

Pirates are a bit underutilized given the romance connected to them. Gaspariila, Jean lafitte, Blackbeard, Calico Jack and more. Lets not forget their brethren, the smugglers and blockade runners, like Han 'he shot first' Solo.

I can see it would not take much to twist a game like Elite to be a pirate. I know, how about a Star Trek game with Ferengi as the protagonists. Imagine Quark with an eye patch....

Return to “Video Games General”