Why I enjoy this website

General and high profile video game topics.
Blueguy1

Why I enjoy this website

Postby Blueguy1 » January 19th, 2013, 2:57 pm

I've been visiting this site for 5 years now, and it's easily my favorite video gaming site to go to.

First off, it's instantly clear that Dave has pretty much every single console ever made, and buys old school games like they were released today! His reviews are short, yet manage to be intelligent, detailed, humorous, and well thought out. And if you point out a mistake (such as typos and a gameplay mode he didn't see), he's always willing to go back and update the reviews/change the grade and never complains about it. I vcan't remember the last time someone constantly rereviewed the same games! He's also willing to update the site, and the updates actually make it a lot better!

I also love the icons he uses for each game. Makes them more fun to read than they already were! When you send him a message, he keeps the response short yet it seems like he really cares and he's always polite when I send him messages about games I recommend he play. And even though he's more of an arcade style guy, he gives each game a fair chance, even the RPG's and strategy titles. And though I disagree with some of his Nintendo 64 reviews (hey, it happens, we all have our opinions), in general I love his reviews and he is my go to guy for new games.

This site is wonderful, and I hope it continues its stride in the future, which I have no doubt that it will.

What do you guys like about this site?

rift1

Why I enjoy this website

Postby rift1 » January 19th, 2013, 5:31 pm

Agree with above.  I like it because by this point we all know Dave's likes and dislikes, so can read his reviews through that prism.  

It's also a great site for finding new games...whenever I buy a new system the first thing I do is come here, scan through every game review for it and pick out all the ones that sound up my alley.  

It also just gives me motivation that not only does Dave own all these classic games, but he actually PLAYS them.  I don't have a fraction of the collection Dave does, but looking at my shelf of unplayed/unbeaten games is still super daunting.  

LoganRuckman1

Why I enjoy this website

Postby LoganRuckman1 » January 19th, 2013, 5:31 pm

I've been visiting this site since 2008 (or late 2007). I was amazed at the ridiculously high amount of reviews this site had. I started posting on the forums in 2008. Unfortunately, my old posts were very immature (I posted under fake names to praise reviews I wrote, for God's sake and I was also a freaking video game poser), poorly written, and extremely uninformed (I really didn't do research in those days). My posts have gotten better since then. It's been one of my favorite video game sites ever since.

soporj1

Why I enjoy this website

Postby soporj1 » January 19th, 2013, 8:50 pm

Other than an occasional game (usually on my phone), I lost interest in gaming after the SNES. This is the best site for "classic" gaming reviews.

Rev1

Why I enjoy this website

Postby Rev1 » January 20th, 2013, 11:32 am

Yeah, I've been coming here for several years at this point, not even sure how long, but it has somehow become part of my daily ritual to check this site for updates. I think the fact that the VGC actually seems to care what his audience thinks really shows in his work. He always takes comments with a grain of salt and will even admit when he was too hasty with a review. Do I agree with his reviews a 100%? Hell no, but they are his opinions and he always seems to give the reader the benefit of the doubt and will relook at games. Also, I love the icons and console reviews. Very few sites actually have the full on console reviews and this site definitely has the most comprehensive ones. This is the best site for retro gaming period. The only other site that comes close is racketboy and the two sites are completely different.

rift1

Why I enjoy this website

Postby rift1 » January 20th, 2013, 2:12 pm

Also I want to add an important component I left out - the VGC's knowledge and appreciation of classic gaming (TRUE classic gaming ie pre-NES consoles and early 80s arcade titles) is something you don't find from almost any other modern game reviewer and I find this perspective very important and refreshing for evaluating new games.  

LoganRuckman1

Why I enjoy this website

Postby LoganRuckman1 » January 20th, 2013, 9:40 pm

Another thing a lot about this website is the community and forums, which isn't something it's often given credit for. With only a few exceptions, there have been barely any trolls or morons on this forum. I like the people who post here.

Atarifever1

Why I enjoy this website

Postby Atarifever1 » January 22nd, 2013, 1:14 pm

I actually stopped reading the reviews for awhile, but have recently started again.  I think the Critic does a good job of those.  I just wish he'd re-review Pole Position 2 on 7800 and admit he marked it at least a full letter grade too harshly.  Still, he's one of the few reviewers on the internet who doesn't think Super Mario Bros has ugly graphics, or that the Atari 2600 was ugly the year it launched.  It's nice to see so many reviews, on so nice a site, from someone who actually has perspective. 

I also come here for the forums.  I really, really like these forums and the people who post here.  It is the only place outside of Atariage where I can get an equally excited set of replies to "I just bought Xenoblade Chronicles" and "I just got a free 4 switch 2600!"  It's nice to post somewhere where most people, even the younger posters, understand that a good game doesn't have a "best before" date. 

ActRaiser1

Why I enjoy this website

Postby ActRaiser1 » January 22nd, 2013, 4:58 pm

I always love reading the F graded reviews.  

Once you figure out Dave's preferences it makes reading his reviews a really good indication of how you yourself would enjoy it.  On all the other gaming review websites, I have no idea who the reviewers are as they seem to come in and out.  Dave on the other hand has been here for 10 years, dishing out reviews.

I kind of like knowing what I'm getting from his reviews.  

Also, I can't say enough good things about the forums.  Really, that is what keeps me coming here every day.

It's a great site and the community is a large part of that experience.  Together, they make for one really enjoyable experience.

Return to “Video Games General”