Nintendo 2DS.... 2D

General and high profile video game topics.
HardcoreSadism1

Nintendo 2DS.... 2D

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » August 28th, 2013, 12:25 pm

http://m.joystiq.com/2013/08/28/nintendo-2ds-plays-all-3ds-ds-games-in-2d-ditches-clamshell/?icid=(3:3)

Well, I cannot say this is anywhere near the PSP Go mess haha.

Rev1

Nintendo 2DS.... 2D

Postby Rev1 » August 28th, 2013, 1:10 pm

What is with the design... It looks more like a tablet then a handheld. Why wouldn't you want to have a compact, folding feature? All the handhelds since the GBA SP have had that folding feature and it has worked wonders.

JWK1

Nintendo 2DS.... 2D

Postby JWK1 » August 28th, 2013, 1:38 pm

Nintendo, I love you but you have GOT to come up with better names for your consoles.  Nintendo is targeting this to kids under 7 who can't/shouldn't use the 3D effect on the OG system.  Now if those parents don't play video games and they go to Target to buy games, what do they look for?  2DS games, of course!  But wait, there are no 2DS games.  

"No," a worker explains.  "It plays 3DS games."
"What?"
"Yeah, it's a 3DS system. So it plays 3DS games."
"It's not a 3DS system.  Look!  Right there it says 2DS."
"It plays 3DS games."
"That doesn't make any sen..."
"And DS games."
"What?"
"DS.  The original DS system.  It plays those games, too."
"....."
"....."
"So, my son's 2DS system plays DS games... and 3DS games."
"Yes."
"But not 2DS games."
"Correct.  Because there are no 2DS games."
"Because it's really a 3DS system."
"Right."
"Do the games play in 3D?"
"No, you have to get a 3DS for that."
"YOU SAID I ALREADY HAVE A 3DS!"

This goes on for several more minutes in a very "who's on first?" type of exchange.  For the sake of time, I'll spoil the ending.  The parent's brain explodes and no 2DS games are purchased.  Because there aren't any 2DS games.  Only 3DS games.  And DS games.  Oh no, it's happening again...

The Wii U doesn't sound like such a bad name anymore.

Atarifever1

Nintendo 2DS.... 2D

Postby Atarifever1 » August 28th, 2013, 1:38 pm

[QUOTE=HardcoreSadism]http://m.joystiq.com/2013/08/28/nintendo-2ds-plays-all-3ds-ds-games-in-2d-ditches-clamshell/?icid=(3:3) Well, I cannot say this is anywhere near the PSP Go mess haha.[/QUOTE]

I worry that ot will confuse the market.  As the Wii U, and likely Xbox One, show, names are important if consumers are to understand product lines.  The good thing here though, is that the numbering is right.  This is less than a 3DS but more than a DS.  It is also priced at the correct point between those two devices, so maybe it won't be that confusing.

I think it is a pretty good move though, and most people are missing what a smart play this is.  Follow the logic:

1) People go on to like Nintendo for a long time because they start playing it when they are kids.
2) Kids are being tempted away from Nintendo products by small tablets, multipurpose MP3 players, and phones.
3) Kids under 7 are told NOT to EVER play the 3DS in 3D or they could go blind. 

What does Nintendo need?  A tablet looking device that is cheaper than a tablet, that doesn't have 3D. 

Make no mistake, this is baby's first Nintendo.  The 3DS actively tries to frighten parents away from letting their kids use its main feature.  The iOS and Android devices don't have that concern.  Now, here, neither does Nintendo.  That is important, because if they lose a generation of kids they won't likely get them back ever again. 

ActRaiser1

Nintendo 2DS.... 2D

Postby ActRaiser1 » August 28th, 2013, 1:41 pm

[QUOTE=Rev]What is with the design... It looks more like a tablet then a handheld. Why wouldn't you want to have a compact, folding feature? All the handhelds since the GBA SP have had that folding feature and it has worked wonders.[/QUOTE]

I would hazard a guess is that it's due to cutting costs.  Don't laugh but hinges are expensive.  

I got to say that the different screen sizes just looks plain goofy.  I get why you would have a bigger screen in a folding solution due to buttons taking up some of the real estate.  But in this case, it looks weird.

Atarifever1

Nintendo 2DS.... 2D

Postby Atarifever1 » August 28th, 2013, 1:44 pm

[QUOTE=Rev]What is with the design... It looks more like a tablet then a handheld. Why wouldn't you want to have a compact, folding feature? All the handhelds since the GBA SP have had that folding feature and it has worked wonders.[/QUOTE]

Because they want it to look like a little kid's tablet.  The whole design screams "Nintendo Leap Pad."  This is meant for 4 and 5 year olds.  Every time one of my kids grabs my 3DS they close it and put it in hibernation when they aren't trying to.  They don't do that with the Leap Pad, because they can't.   

Rev1

Nintendo 2DS.... 2D

Postby Rev1 » August 28th, 2013, 2:54 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever][QUOTE=Rev]What is with the design... It looks more like a tablet then a handheld. Why wouldn't you want to have a compact, folding feature? All the handhelds since the GBA SP have had that folding feature and it has worked wonders.[/QUOTE]

Because they want it to look like a little kid's tablet.  The whole design screams "Nintendo Leap Pad."  This is meant for 4 and 5 year olds.  Every time one of my kids grabs my 3DS they close it and put it in hibernation when they aren't trying to.  They don't do that with the Leap Pad, because they can't.   

[/QUOTE]

That makes sense. I would think not having the clamp shell would make it easier for kids to break the screen though.

Segatarious1

Nintendo 2DS.... 2D

Postby Segatarious1 » August 28th, 2013, 5:53 pm

Its ugly.

But in its own way kind of cool. I might still aim for a 3DS XL, but hmmmm, we shall see. It is an option, $130 aint bad at all.

Plus, this is for kids, I think this is a smart move.

HardcoreSadism1

Nintendo 2DS.... 2D

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » August 28th, 2013, 5:54 pm

Nintendo isn't entirely ambitious as to release the 2DS, since budget-hardware is a buzzword this fall... However; for the sake of marketing it should have been named "DS Tablet", and not a variant because 3D is NOT integrated.

Edward1

Nintendo 2DS.... 2D

Postby Edward1 » August 28th, 2013, 6:13 pm

This looks like a disaster waiting to happen.  Who wants a "2ds" that can't close? To me, thats a bigger problem than the 3d being gone. Its gonna be like playing a 3ds emulator on a tablet. I can't imagine anyone choosing this over the slightly more expensive standard 3ds model.

Return to “Video Games General”