PS3 officially becomes the second best selling console of the 7th generation

General and high profile video game topics.
Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 12th, 2013, 5:24 am

[QUOTE=scotland17]Good point. The same VGCharts site has tie ratios and software sales. The 360 has indeed moved more software. If my eyes read the numbers right its about 800 million units to the PS3's 710 million. While not as good as the 360 numbers, thats only about 15% fewer...hardly bad I think.[/QUOTE]
If that number is correct, that would be very good and would mean they closed that gap too.  That would make me quite happy, as I am now at the point of wanting the Xbox line to just die and go away. 

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » June 12th, 2013, 8:21 am

Scotland17 hit the nail on the head by posting the exact numbers.  Add in that extra year and the PS3 would be caught up to the 360 in game sales as well.  As it stands now, 800 M vs. 710 M isn't exactly miles apart and can be easily explained by that year gap.  VGChartz also tracks software sales by the week and while the 360 has certainly sold more overall, PS3 has been selling more by the week for a long time.  (Last week was 1.36 M vs. 1.24 M sold according to their website.)  Again, not a blowout by any means but a steady increase over time, so slow that people didn't even realize it happened.

Also, I made a mistake.  While The Last of Us does indeed come out this week, it's not until Friday.  I felt pretty sheepish showing up at Gamestop yesterday asking for it!  It's currently sitting at a 96/100 on Metacritic.  I'm starting to believe that Naughty Dog can do no wrong!  Ha ha.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » June 12th, 2013, 11:48 am

Xbox line die and go away? Yeah not gonna happen, even if the One has dissapointing sales, the 360 definitely isn't going anywhere for awhile.

Chaser1

Postby Chaser1 » June 13th, 2013, 10:59 am

A lot of those Xbox system sales can also be attributed to their atrocious reliability before the redesign. My first 360 red-ringed, and every one of my friends who owns a 360 is on their second console at least. One friend of mine is on his 3rd or 4th, I can't remember. That is NOT the way to generate customer loyalty and these same people are saying they will go PS4 for the next generation.

Irenicus1

Postby Irenicus1 » June 13th, 2013, 1:47 pm

I'm surprised it took this long. I chose 360, due to price & fear that Sony wasn't going to get enough support to be competitive. Also at the time I purchased the 360 most reviewers were saying that games on both systems were either better on 360 or equal. Once Sony was able to stick around after the 2nd/3rd year I expected them to start dominating simply due to better exclusives, free online & blu ray.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » June 13th, 2013, 2:46 pm

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by Chaser
A lot of those Xbox system sales can also be attributed to their atrocious reliability before the redesign. My first 360 red-ringed, and every one of my friends who owns a 360 is on their second console at least. One friend of mine is on his 3rd or 4th, I can't remember. That is NOT the way to generate customer loyalty and these same people are saying they will go PS4 for the next generation.[/QUOTE]

This is a pretty good point.  I also have lots of friends who have bought at least two.  I bought a slim (The 360 "S") and the reliability has been much better.  But it's by no means a non-issue.  It freezes up on me all the time.  Probably every other day for the last 2 months.  Meanwhile, my PS3 is 2 years older and far more reliable.  And my Wii is rock solid... in performance, I mean.  Sorry, couldn't resist that last line.  (JWK = immature)

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » June 13th, 2013, 4:22 pm

I've had my Arcade 360 model for three years and i've rarely had any issues with it, it's only frozen up on me a couple of times(compared to my Dreamcast, which I can recall freezing up at least a dozen times, and it also had problems reading certain discs, so eventually I had to replace it with a Gamecube) and I believe that might've had more to do with the discs themselves.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » June 13th, 2013, 4:29 pm

In the interests of balance I am also on my second PS3 and know a couple more people who are as well following the YLOD.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » June 13th, 2013, 4:51 pm

I have had my 60GB PS3 since three months after launch.  I bought it early for backwards compatibiility, which is something I've used with it.  However, lately it's become just an additinal Bluray or Netflix/Amazon Prime player for me.

I haven't had it mess up permanently.  I have had a few times when it shuts down with a flashing red light immediately after booting up.  This forces me to turn it on manually (instead of through the Bluray remote or the controller).  Not the best situation for sure, but not catastrophic.

My XBOX 360 messed up several times due to RRoD.   But after they made changes to the consoles that one time and sent me a corrected one in 2008, it has never happened since.

a1

Postby a1 » June 13th, 2013, 8:22 pm

[QUOTE=JWK][QUOTE]Originally Posted by Chaser
A lot of those Xbox system sales can also be attributed to their atrocious reliability before the redesign. My first 360 red-ringed, and every one of my friends who owns a 360 is on their second console at least. One friend of mine is on his 3rd or 4th, I can't remember. That is NOT the way to generate customer loyalty and these same people are saying they will go PS4 for the next generation.[/QUOTE]

This is a pretty good point.  I also have lots of friends who have bought at least two.  I bought a slim (The 360 "S") and the reliability has been much better.  But it's by no means a non-issue.  It freezes up on me all the time.  Probably every other day for the last 2 months.  Meanwhile, my PS3 is 2 years older and far more reliable.  And my Wii is rock solid... in performance, I mean.  Sorry, couldn't resist that last line.  (JWK = immature)[/QUOTE]

My first 360 broke after 2 years but it didn't break the right way to be covered by the extended 3 year warranty that Microsoft offered. Instead of 3 red rings it was one red ring and the error message said something about the ethernet hookup (random error, not my fault). My second 360 has lasted 2 years, but boy is it noisy; I'm worried it's going to break at some point.

I've had my Wii since launch but it hasn't been without flaw. I've had it freeze a few times and make this awful noise that sounds like it's about to explode. I bought a Wii U as soon as I did partially because I was worried about losing the over $100 worth of Virtual Console games I had on the Wii. It's still working, but I don't feel like it's as reliable as the Gamecube.

My PS3 Slim has never had an issue, but I've also had it for only a year and a half. 

What was this thread about again?

Return to “Video Games General”