Poor Games you Secretly Enjoy

General and high profile video game topics.
Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » January 10th, 2013, 9:36 pm

I'll bite.

Friday the 13th for the NES. Loved it since I was a kid. Bought it recently and still love it.

goldenband1

Postby goldenband1 » January 11th, 2013, 1:57 am

[QUOTE=Oltobaz]It's hardly a secret, but I love Sword of Sodan on Mega drive/Genesis! I beat that multiple times back in the day...[/QUOTE]

Ha, I'm glad there's someone else who actually likes Sword of Sodan!  I've beaten it at least 7-8 times, mostly by way of working my way up through the various difficulty settings, and also trying the Japanese version (which seemed no different to me).  I've never claimed the game isn't deeply flawed, but I'm mystified by how much people loathe it or insist that it's the "worst game ever".  To me, it's totally playable and even fun once you get the hang of its quirks.

That said, trying to beat the game on Normal with (ahem) Brodan can get pretty frustrating, especially in Level 5 where you can easily get slaughtered by the giant soldiers if you don't have orange potions to bring them down to their knees.  BTW have you ever figured out exactly how the Level 5 warp works?

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » January 11th, 2013, 8:26 am

Everybody always bashes on "Street Fighter: The Movie," but it's actually one of my favorite games on the Saturn 

There's also a cute-sy little puzzle game called "ilomilo" on XBLA that I like a lot. I wouldn't dare let my friends see my playing that one! The rumors would start lol 

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » January 11th, 2013, 11:26 am

[QUOTE=goldenband][QUOTE=Oltobaz]It's hardly a secret, but I love Sword of Sodan on Mega drive/Genesis! I beat that multiple times back in the day...[/QUOTE]

Ha, I'm glad there's someone else who actually likes Sword of Sodan!  I've beaten it at least 7-8 times, mostly by way of working my way up through the various difficulty settings, and also trying the Japanese version (which seemed no different to me).  I've never claimed the game isn't deeply flawed, but I'm mystified by how much people loathe it or insist that it's the "worst game ever".  To me, it's totally playable and even fun once you get the hang of its quirks.

That said, trying to beat the game on Normal with (ahem) Brodan can get pretty frustrating, especially in Level 5 where you can easily get slaughtered by the giant soldiers if you don't have orange potions to bring them down to their knees.  BTW have you ever figured out exactly how the Level 5 warp works?[/QUOTE]

I took advantage of this warp zone back then, mostly by accident I fully agree with you, it's totally playable, though it does take some getting used to, and a good memory in regards to where those invisible pits are, though I hear paying attention to some microscopic detail in the background may give away their locations... Me, I just knew where they were, lol, like a ghost forever haunts the place where it died..^^

goldenband1

Postby goldenband1 » January 11th, 2013, 12:30 pm

Yes, there's a specific tile that appears in the flooring whenever there's a pit -- once you spot it, it's so obvious you wonder how you ever could've missed it!  Here's a pic where you can see it just to the right of Shardan's boot:

Compared to some of the tile variations that connote secrets in NES games, this one's plain as day.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » January 11th, 2013, 1:28 pm

So, it's true then. I remember I tended to use pillars in the forefront as landmarks: they didn't give away anything by themselves, but they kinda helped; such a pit would be right after the second or third pillar, right in between, and of course, sometimes, no pillars at all, just plain memory. Noticing this specific tile would certainly have made things easier, I'll watch for these next time I give this a go.^^

Chaser1

Postby Chaser1 » January 13th, 2013, 7:48 pm

I really enjoyed Final Fight Streetwise for the original Xbox. Yeah, it had its issues but I had a great time with it. I also must confess to liking Harley Davidson: Road Trip on Wii. Something about the laid back atmosphere really appealed to me. I actually finished it to 100%. Can't say I'd recommend either of these games to the typical gamer, but they tickled my fancy for whatever reason.

Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » January 15th, 2013, 6:54 am

Duke Nukem Forever (Xbox 360)
Cliffhanger (Sega Genesis)
Pit-Fighter (Sega Genesis)

rift1

Postby rift1 » January 15th, 2013, 11:31 am

Highlander (Jaguar CD) - I love this game, wrote a defense of it on these boards in response to the critic's review a few years ago

Ground Zero Texas (Sega CD) - My favorite FMV game.  Cheesy, fun, and not too difficult

Eternal Ring (PS1) - first next gen king's field game, a little easy/linear but I love it

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » January 15th, 2013, 9:00 pm

[QUOTE=rift]

Eternal Ring (PS1) - first next gen king's field game, a little easy/linear but I love it[/QUOTE]

I think you meant PS2.

Anyway, after all the talk about that new Sonic racing game, I got to thinking that I actually enjoyed South Park Rally for the N64. It had some horrible flaws but I ended up playing the game til the end. Got my moneys worth on the game.

Return to “Video Games General”